It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Who needs guns, when you got one of these.. Very effective

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 09:21 AM
link   
I have to admit that I was pretty happy to see a thread discussing the use of the modern sling shot as a real weapon. I have been a fan for alot of years. I use a counter weighted Barnett Diablo that I have also modified to fire crossbow bolts. Great thread. S&F for you!!

Heres what a Diablo looks like. Not trying to sell it but its the best picture I could find on short notice.
www.crossbowhuntingpro.com...

Very effective weapon in my opinion.

[edit on 26-8-2009 by jameslewin]

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 08:54 PM
link   
Apparently they use this one in Russia to hunt Crows.

www.airgundepot.com...

www.youtube.com...

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 09:37 PM
link   
reply to post by jameslewin

Thanks for the link, it seems like a good one I might buy it one of these days. The good thing about slingshots, is you don't need any propellants or man-made ammo, however all of the ones I've used before ended up breaking in a short time period.

posted on Aug, 26 2009 @ 11:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mintwithahole.
The only people here in the UK who use slingshots are anglers! They use them to throw maggots out to the centre of a lake or stream before casting off. Personally I'd still rather have gun, bow or crossbow than a slingshot or catapault.

Never fished in my life and my Barnett Diablo is the obligatory mutts.

Utterly amazed (and giggled like a girl) to discover they're illegal in NY. I honestly thought us Brits were the castrated masses.

Oh Mint. Given your location your view might be be jaded. I'm under the impression that most scousers carry illegal firearms.

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 11:50 AM
link   
Not a good choice of weaponry

takes to much effort and reloading takes to long

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 07:31 PM
link   
Wouldn't fancy meeting him in a dark alley!!!

Actually I think I killed him in a game once...

www.youtube.com...

[edit on 27-8-2009 by Stanton Dowd]

[edit on 27-8-2009 by Stanton Dowd]

posted on Aug, 28 2009 @ 01:58 AM
link   
reply to post by texasoutlaw

Actually you'd be surprised how fast it can be fired in succession, it just takes practice. Also, its quiet, and with a wrist mounted brace it is a pretty good alternative to a small rifle for hunting small game in a survival situation. Partly because of the availability of small round rocks that work well for that purpose.

posted on Aug, 28 2009 @ 02:19 AM
link   
My friends and I payted with air rifles and slingshots when we were in our early teens, 12/13 yeasrs old. A local harware store sold them..this was going intot he late 80's. SO my friend bought one. One day, their was a squirell on a fence. He shot a metal ball at it..and it wnet right throught the squirell! I wasnt present, he was telling me about it. About 2 or 3 minutes later, the squirell jsut keeled over and died. That how we found out, they aint toys like grandpa played with when they were kids! these things are lethal weapons!
I do agree with with one of the other members here...it would make you an easy target, as yuode have to stand up..unless yuo were in fact, quick enough to manuever and duck in time, to reload and repaet the entire process, making sure each hit was a heart, lung, liver or headshot.
Slinghot sniper come to mind lol. but thier is noise form the backlash of the sling releasing the ball....but it does seem to give off a noise tha knida echos, so it would totaly give away yuor direct position. YEs they are Illegal in NY,a nd here in CT too.

posted on Aug, 28 2009 @ 10:23 AM
link   
Anyone heard of the "bean shooter man?"

www.liveleak.com...

Practice makes perfect!!
This guy can knock coins out of the air,and bugs off leaves.
Check it out.

posted on Aug, 28 2009 @ 10:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Nirgal

Oh Mint. Given your location your view might be be jaded. I'm under the impression that most scousers carry illegal firearms.

Oi! It's a good job I'm out of ammo!!!

Unfortunately you're not far wrong. . .

posted on Aug, 28 2009 @ 02:47 PM
link   
Wristrockets are illegal in many if not most states. HOWEVER, they are pretty easy to make and/or order in parts.

One advantage of them though is you can shoot almost anything in them. Darts, arrows, rocks, bullets, really anything.

Far as questioning their ability to kill something at range, when I was young I used to have one. There is still an arrow sticking in a tree 30 feet up that I shot with my wristrocket many many years ago. Not as accurate as a bow but it definately does work.

posted on Aug, 30 2009 @ 08:43 AM
link   
I find it bizarre that in certain US states the slingshot is banned...whats that all about?Has there been a glut of injuries through their use or something?
Surely guns are more dangerous-are they banned in the same states?
What about bows and arrows-are they banned in the same states?

I used to own a Black Widow catapult/wrist rocket when I was a kid in the UK.
It was properly badass with a bit of practice-me and my buddies used to use small throwing stars as ammo...before they were banned.

Great fun shooting at my old shed door,not so great when the ammo hits your hand on the way out!!!

posted on Aug, 30 2009 @ 09:38 AM
link   
Now I'm curious. I wonder what damage a frozen paintball used with an ordinary slingshot can do? Would it be more powerful than with a paintball rifle? Just thinking, my parents gave me and my brother sling shots when we were little kids and we happened to have a loose stone driveway. Our target practice was knocking pine cones out of very tall pine trees. You just didn't want to shoot straight up. If you did, then you better run.

posted on Sep, 1 2009 @ 01:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by SlasherOfVeils
Wristrockets are illegal in many if not most states. HOWEVER, they are pretty easy to make and/or order in parts.

I think you are mistaken on the legality issue. I have yet to visit a stae where they are illegal.

[edit on 29 PMu1 09 by jameslewin]

posted on Sep, 3 2009 @ 10:14 PM
link   
reply to post by texasoutlaw

But the ammo is free, and is somewhat silent

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 08:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Silcone Synapse

Someone earlier in thread said they are illegal in NY... Lie, maybe in the city, but I could pick one up at the hardware store and walmart cheap more upstate. It may vary county to county, or just be outlawed in the gay cities...

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 09:06 PM
link   
for those of you who want to put your lives on the line with a slingshot feel free

my first choice will always be a gun
my second choice will always be a gun
my third choice will always be a gun

and my last choice will always be a gun.

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 09:33 PM
link   
When I was young I made a 6 foot wide sling shot from weaving elastic bands together into an elastic rope. It rested on top of a pole pounded into the ground. I fired rocks the size of gulf balls so far away that I never knew where they landed. It was also good for arrows made from wooden broom handles. I also shot off some home made gasoline filled soda bottles with stick matches extending from the point of impact. You should have seen those go off. In all, with one of those I could have done some real damage at more than a football field's distance.

I also experimented with hand slings as well using different types of rubber. Now that I think of it, I'm wondering how some bunji cords would work.

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 09:43 PM
link   
reply to post by neo96

I prefer to keep my options opened. I am sure there are plenty of situations where a strong slingshot would be preferable to a gun, unless maybe you have a really good silencer. Sometimes stealth can be better than a big boom of a gun.

posted on Apr, 21 2011 @ 09:45 PM
link   
there's no doubt that a slingshot and a bow gun are the best survival tools to consider, before wasting your money on a bb or pellet gun. you cant make bbs or pellets in the field very easily, where as you can make everything for your slingshot and blow gun from scratch. any ole tire innerliner/tube will make you a slingshot band.

<< 1    3 >>

join