It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Got Toilet Paper? Will Trade For Food.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 22 2009 @ 02:28 AM
link   
Hi folks,

I'm sitting here listening to Coast to Coast. George Noory continually mentions, as do his callers, something BIG is coming to a town near us all. Of course, no details on C2C, but just look at the World around us, there's heavy stuff getting ready to come down.

I found an article, and also saw variations on ATS; the article illustrated a point that I didn't want to bring forth in this forum until some evidence. I know during the collapse of the USSR toilet paper was gold; so was hot water for that matter. Here's a link to a current situation in Cuba regarding the economy, and no toilet paper:english.pravda.ru...

So, as to the title, when the dollar crashes, many will feel a "fire, and brimstone" because of lack of prepardness. Also, due to not thinking outside the box. We will be living in a system for a while, soon, where the US dollar will not buy anything. Until something is reestablished as a common means of exchange We will need to barter.

Gold, and silver won't feed a family so in my opinion it won't be worth much. I am encouraging People to think outside of box; think about what will be a necessity. Toilet paper has proven itself to be a highly valued commodity in down trodden places.

I personally have loaded up on enough to actually barter a little with it. It's cheap now, and so far has lasted pristine for over a year, and a half. Sure it takes up room in the shop, but I don't wanna use leaves.

Any thoughts on this, or other pertinent goods for barter feel free to post.

Sancho

[edit on 22-8-2009 by sanchoearlyjones]

posted on Aug, 22 2009 @ 02:38 AM
link   
i'll stick with leaves
(just not poison ivy

but yea, all the cattle have been coddled into thinking that they should buy gold, which is utterly stupid. investing in things like:

1. seeds
2. canned goods
3. gasoline
4. books on survival
5. knives and tools.
6. matches
7. bibles

will make one a succesful survivalist. i have made a thread about it also:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

investing in survival essentials definitely beats worthless gold that the lambs are coddled to stamped invest in.

[edit on 22-8-2009 by Spiritfilled]

posted on Aug, 22 2009 @ 02:43 AM
link   
you would be washing a rag in a creek nearby, rather than toilet paper.
But there is no shortage of just plain old paper laying around this planet, so you shouldnt be without for long if youre resourceful

posted on Aug, 22 2009 @ 02:55 AM
link   
Leaves, and rags will work in the Spring, but in Winter Leaves aren't available throughout most of the US; as they die.

A creek isn't available in many parts of the USA all the time, and should People be in a Northern climate like where I'm at, it's solid snow from November to February. The creeks, rivers, and the like are frozen over a lot, or they aren't accessible because of too much snow....

I don't think You can stock leaves for through the Winter, and just any paper may not be readily available in the Winter.

Thoughts?

posted on Aug, 22 2009 @ 03:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by patientobserver
you would be washing a rag in a creek nearby, rather than toilet paper.
But there is no shortage of just plain old paper laying around this planet, so you shouldnt be without for long if youre resourceful

Exactly, many people in the past just used a sponge for wiping, and when you talk about all that 'old paper' laying around, if the collapse is as bad as some people say, we could well use the banknotes, I'd quite like to use the Queens face to wipe my behind!

Humans survived almost our entire history without toilet paper, according to Wikipedia, "the first use of toilet paper in human history dates back to the 6th century AD", I don't really think this is going to be a big issue.

I suspect that toilet paper will however be a commodity worth having, as it's the kind of thing that people who still hold some power like military commanders who go rogue with their squad, or gang leaders will want to have as a luxury.

The rest of us will just make do like we did until the 6th century AD.

[edit on 22-8-2009 by harpsounds]

posted on Aug, 22 2009 @ 03:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Spiritfilled
i'll stick with leaves
(just not poison ivy

but yea, all the cattle have been coddled into thinking that they should buy gold, which is utterly stupid.
[edit on 22-8-2009 by Spiritfilled]

I'm always happy to see someone make this point, it's one I've been making for years.

The only time I see gold as useful is if it's a very localized situation, where the paper money is worthless, but you can get your gold to the border to trade with a neighboring country that hasn't been affected. Anything global though, and gold is useless.

posted on Aug, 22 2009 @ 03:50 AM
link   
Hello, take a long hard look at telephone directories, a lot of 'leaves' in a very small area, eight toilet rolls=six directories in the same area, so storage is not a problem, tinned food has been known to last up to ten years, something else to think about.
If you are staying where you are, an excrement powered gas system, if you can make your own, is worth considering, plus the solid by product is very good for vegatables.
rainwater collection and filters, all this depends on space, such as a big enough garden, or 'growbags'
I have two water butts so far.

posted on Aug, 22 2009 @ 04:22 AM
link   
Don't need TP.

Now see [color=gold]here.

You said something about thinking outside the box?

EDIT To Add : If SHTF some creative *Snip* can make what's installed into something portable. Do the math FtW. \o/

[edit on 8·22·09 by DrMattMaddix]

Mod Note: Terms & Conditions Of Use – Please Review This Link.

2) Behavior: You will not behave in an abusive, hateful and/or racist manner, and will not harass, threaten, nor attack anyone.

[edit on 8/23/2009 by semperfortis]

posted on Aug, 22 2009 @ 04:41 AM
link   
Hand tools, shovel,rake,saw axe hammer and so on. These things are priceless when there is no power but you need to make something.

A person with a basic set of frontier tools can go into a wooded area and build shelter, fences, clear land, make a garden and so on. That would be an extreme case but having basic tools for boarding windows, repairing a roof or dealing with damage after a disaster is important too.

A few pounds of nails screws and assorted basic hardware is helpful as well.

Not all sit x scenarios are from shtf. Some can be as simple as hurricanes, earthquakes or extended power outages.

[edit on 073131p://f16Saturday by badgerprints]

posted on Aug, 22 2009 @ 04:46 AM
link   
reply to post by sanchoearlyjones

Toilet Paper- Bahhh.
When times are tough, just do, as they do in south-east asia; use your hand and a bucket of water.
Its only s__t! Once you can get over that fact, you can survive.

posted on Aug, 22 2009 @ 05:00 AM
link   
reply to post by KRISKALI777

That's what i was gonna say, and you know what hand you're supposed to use, right? You know WHY it's proper to shake with the right hand? In africa left handed handshakes are proper for the same reason.

And yeah, what's the big deal if poo touches your hand? Poo was just touching your butthole wasn't it? Your mouth is dirtier than your butt, and your hand is probably dirtier than your butt too.

posted on Aug, 22 2009 @ 05:35 AM
link   
reply to post by DezertSkies

Too right!
You see I dont really care for that left hand, right hand custom!
Wouldn't we use soap and water if available; if not, only then would it be an issue.
And If no paper (ANY PORT IN STORM). Leaves and phone books (as have been suggested; are indeed an obvious choice)- maybe even some religious texts- ooooppppsss!

posted on Aug, 22 2009 @ 07:06 AM
link   
As in the middlke ages, those who live close to the sea can use seashells, this is not a joke, middens have been found full of excrement and seashells, my, they were tough people in those days!!!

posted on Aug, 22 2009 @ 07:22 AM
link   
reply to post by pikestaff

Sea-shells??? Owwww.
Could it be that middens where actually piles of discarded food-scaps etc (rubbish heap); why not crap where the rest of the rubbish is?

posted on Aug, 22 2009 @ 07:31 AM
link   
Like some posters suggested, paper is lying around everywhere. But wiping with crinkly paper might result in a few cuts. So I suggest making your own TP from almost any kind of paper.

Shred the paper, soak the shreds in a bucket of water overnight, strain and pulverize the waterlogged paper, then spread in thin sheets to dry. If you are concerned about the paper curling, lay a weight on top to flatten them as they dry. Homemade TP, softer and more pliable than "paper".

posted on Aug, 22 2009 @ 11:25 AM
link   
Well, there are a few things that I'm planning on stocking for SHTF scenario. Some I've already started on, others I'm currently working on.

• Coffee
  • Sugar
  • Salt
  • Oil (cooking & motor)
  • Chocolate
  • Spices
  • Extra "tools"
  • Nails & Screws
  • Canned Goods
  • Seeds
  • AMMO in common rounds (i.e. 22, 45, etc.)

These are just some of the items I took off my "original" list. I have, however, planned on modifying it by adding items listed on Survival Blog.

Here is a link to their "Getting Started" article. Definately worth the read.

posted on Aug, 22 2009 @ 11:31 AM
link   
Well if dollar bills become useless as you say with a dollar crash there will be plenty of those pieces of paper laying around. I have never wiped with one but some day who knows.

posted on Aug, 22 2009 @ 11:58 AM
link   
I would also suggest soap and BOOKS.

There are books on Butchering and perserving, "build it better Your self, I think "granny Warrior" just put out a book on how to perserve food. Making soap, Canning and canning supplies WAX for sealing sterilized food, Books on First aid and old fashioned herbal remedies (willow bark tea anyone)

My Grand parents knew how to preserve food without a refrigerator but the kids these days would starve without McDonald's

There are some really great books on pole building....

A library of survival skills books maybe a life saver

And yes I am a real bibliophile.

posted on Aug, 22 2009 @ 12:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by wayouttheredude
Well if dollar bills become useless as you say with a : crash there will be plenty of those pieces of paper laying around. I have never wiped with one but some day who knows.

Yeah! And the benefit of that is that they probably already have feces on them anyway.

posted on Aug, 22 2009 @ 12:11 PM
link   
While books are good for a survival situation, I don't think I'd invest too much money in "extra's" for barter. However, you can invest in lined paper and pencils/pens and make "copies" of what's in your books and barter those copies.

And yes, cleaning stuffs is on my list, I just posted what I thought of off the top of my head at the time I posted. I always keep the little "soap & shampoo's" from hotels whenever I stay (which isn't often but eh). I figure them little bottles of soap and shampoo will come in handy some day!

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join