It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Got Toilet Paper? Will Trade For Food.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 22 2009 @ 12:18 PM
link   
Make your own 'wipes'

Just take some cloth and cut it into squares. Dappen with a bit of water before use.

Have a container with lid nearby for the dirty/used ones with some water/soap/boarx -

Wash out, dry and reuse.

posted on Aug, 22 2009 @ 12:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by sanchoearlyjones
Gold, and silver won't feed a family so in my opinion it won't be worth much.

FINALLY !!! Another human that see's the complete irrelevancy of gold and silver should (when) it all goes to hell.

I don't wanna use leaves.

That could be especially bad if one can not tell Poison Oak/Ivy from a Maple leaf ! lol

posted on Aug, 22 2009 @ 02:34 PM
link   
Okay,

So I finally woke from my beauty sleep.....

I read about an electronic butt washing, and massaging toilet; seems interesting, even possibly enjoyable. However, I'd end up mighty disappointed when it stops working, and no replacement...So, I'm gonna have to skip that one.

KSpigpen made a good point, about the paper money already having pooo on them; I am now washing my hands.......

Someone else came up with telephone directories, but you'd have to find a lot of them; I guess thats not to hard, and a good idea.

Operation kidnap Hazelnut is under way. My survival camp is consisting of raiders; as she can make garbage sack blackets, rugs, and floor mats, when I combine this with her ability to make homemade TP we will be confiscating her soon....

I've seen many folks talking about water, and washing........No problem??? I am, or will be in a particularly cold climate when the shheeeet comes down. Washing hands with water, or washing out clothes can be a matter of serious frost bite, or even death.

This is the main reason I don't like the get Your hands messy strategy. The availability to run to a warmer climate may not be possible, and/or desirable as People could be worse off in the Southern Cities/highly populated areas

posted on Aug, 22 2009 @ 02:40 PM
link   

Okay,

I've seen many folks talking about water, and washing........No problem??? I am, or will be in a particularly cold climate when the shheeeet comes down. Washing hands with water, or washing out clothes can be a matter of serious frost bite, or even death.

This is the main reason I don't like the get Your hands messy strategy. The availability to run to a warmer climate may not be possible, and/or desirable as People could be worse off in the Southern Cities/highly populated areas

Um - fire = heat = hot water (purifing water also) and then the washing....

posted on Aug, 22 2009 @ 02:51 PM
link   
reply to post by mappam

sure that'll work, but like I said in the OP, I've already got TP. I'm out in the woods, and have a wood stove. I've done the whole water from snow on the wood stove, but it takes an incredible long time; from snow.

Outside isn't too practical in an extreme climate. Many of the storms are just too strong for warmth. Being outside in -10F with a wind is a real killer.

I've not said the water won't work, but in a northern climate it can be very dangerous; is all.

posted on Aug, 22 2009 @ 04:53 PM
link   
reply to post by sanchoearlyjones

Hot rocks man!
When in Kashmere, India; I saw the Kashmeries carrying small wicker baskets. They filled these with heated rocks, and carried them around under their poncho's. It was like having ducted heating under your sweater.

[edit on 8/22/2009 by KRISKALI777]

posted on Aug, 22 2009 @ 04:59 PM
link   
Hot rocks also work for boiling water.

Put a few under a layer of dirt in your shelter and you have radiant heat.

I have to 'assume' there is a shelter?

If I were to be trying to survive in a northen area I would have created a pretty decent shelter. I would have it large enough to have a 'fire pit' at least in there - where it would provide heat along with cooking fire (and a way to heat water).

You say you have a wood stove - then this should provide you with a warm(er) shelter where you can put snow/ice next to it to start the melting process - right?

[edit on 22-8-2009 by mappam]

posted on Aug, 22 2009 @ 05:02 PM
link   
Yes, never tried hot rocks.

Yes, I've got acreage in Montana with a cabin. The overall survivability is strong. Not too many People would run to the cold to survive, and not too many do that well actually in cold.

posted on Aug, 22 2009 @ 05:08 PM
link   
Is the cabin well insulated? If not - insulate it to keep out the cold and keep the warm in.

Is there a water source close? Or a well?

Actually I would prefer a cold(er) climate than a hot one. Easier to keep food fresh. Easier to keep 'waste' from contaminating the area (also keep the smells from this away or at bay).

posted on Aug, 22 2009 @ 05:12 PM
link   
reply to post by mappam

Actually I would prefer a cold(er) climate than a hot one. Easier to keep food fresh. Easier to keep 'waste' from contaminating the area (also keep the smells from this away or at bay).

Yes, I agree with what You said above. Yes, my cabin is almost completely self sustaining. The woodstove can cook me out at times. That's the reason I have extra TP., to barter with. I've got a generator with a MTS; so I've got power. Many People don't have my set up though, and that is the direction I'm coming at regarding water, and the cold.

posted on Aug, 22 2009 @ 07:23 PM
link   
Space wise have you considered taking out the cardboard center, flattening and sticking into a space bag? You would be surprised what that can do for weight as well.

posted on Aug, 22 2009 @ 07:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by harpsounds

The rest of us will just make do like we did until the 6th century AD.

Actually, until (roughly) the 20th century AD.

I don't know where Wikipedia got this piece of information, but one thing is certain: isolated ancient instances of use (of any given object) do not necessarily signal continued use from that point on.
What we do know for a fact is that even relatively well-to-do (certainly not proletarian) families all over Europe commonly used newspapers, neatly cut in squares, well into the 20th century.

[edit on 22-8-2009 by Vanitas]

posted on Aug, 22 2009 @ 07:58 PM
link   

I don't think You can stock leaves for through the Winter, and just any paper may not be readily available in the Winter.

Thoughts?

in a survival course i was on IN winter.. we used slumps of snow packed tight to wipe with. worked better than paper or leaves.

you can always use your hand.
just try to use the one you don't eat with.
and make sure your nails are clipped.. so nothing accumulates under there...which reminds me .. you're gonna want extra nail clippers.

funny how people think they need toilet paper in order to poop sanitarily.

-

posted on Aug, 22 2009 @ 08:19 PM
link   
1984 that was a great idea to remove the cardboard.

survival butt wiping with snow? Huh, what was the ambient temp? I know it would work, but you'd need close proximity to LOTS of heat; as You'd be transferring Your needed heat out of Your body.

I don't doubt any ideas here at all; my original purpose was pointing out that TP will be an item of value; is all

posted on Aug, 22 2009 @ 08:22 PM
link   

Hot rocks are great; they call this device a 'Winter-Wife'!
they use an insulated 'pot' inside the basket- for obvious reasons.
I tried to find a photographic example of this, but had no luck.
Winter wife being the english name; I am not sure what that is in Urdu though.

posted on Aug, 22 2009 @ 08:28 PM
link   

1984 that was a great idea to remove the cardboard.

survival butt wiping with snow? Huh, what was the ambient temp? I know it would work, but you'd need close proximity to LOTS of heat; as You'd be transferring Your needed heat out of Your body.

I don't doubt any ideas here at all; my original purpose was pointing out that TP will be an item of value; is all

actually .. same thing with urinating.. is that you want to remove the waste poo and urine from your body if you're trying to stay warm in a survival situation because your body is working to keep the waste and urine warm also.. robbing you of that potential heat energy.

i guess you could say it's a trade off.. you just make a ball of snow and clean your rear with it.
pretty simple.

-

posted on Aug, 22 2009 @ 10:09 PM
link   

hehe, water + hand = TP

i think in a survival situation TP would be the least of my worries.

posted on Aug, 22 2009 @ 10:10 PM
link   
Whats a good bartering price? an ounce of jerky per roll? 1 cup of lentils and and some salt? OOH! Honey and bees wax would be good for bartering. I always knew my high tolerance to multiple bee stings would come in handy one day.

posted on Aug, 22 2009 @ 10:17 PM
link   
The most important assest is Electrical power. Plain and simple. You need wind, solar, hydrogen generators to create electricity. With Power comes everything else. When I make a home I am going to give highest priority to electrical power, without electricity you wont be able to communicate, play games, be on your computer, use your cell. Washing clothes is easier.

To me survival is being able to keep all the creature comforts of home in the case of catastrophe so you dont go crazy. Having electrical power is the key. Sure you can have a garden too....whats going to power the water pump? You need to have ELECTRICAL POWER. It is a central part of my theory on survival.

You can cook using wood as a backup, wood for heat and other things. You must retain creature comforts in case the grid cuts you off. You still need to be connected to the grid, but you need a backup power. Everything in this world needs electricity. How will you know whats going on in the next town, when the next food shipment is coming, when the enemy is coming....you will only know with electrical power.

posted on Aug, 22 2009 @ 10:26 PM
link   
reply to post by KRISKALI777

I'm gonna need to look that up; I've never heard of that, and it sounds absolutely interesting. It amazes me how indigenous People all across the world have methods; which will totally enable their survival compared to the average Westerner.

reply to post by prevenge

I can see Your thinking, and it even works correctly in My mind, but I guess I'd really need to think on it.

Kinda brings up the thought process as the rocks above........like a Pooo heat sink..

reply to post by phi1618

I should have made it more clear in the OP; I meant in the sustainable form of survival.... like in a small rural community, or farm community. I would put the TP on par with a means to barter. Sure, gearing up to live in the woods the TP would be the least of My concerns, but to trade, or barter was more the direction intended.

reply to post by calstorm

that's a good question. Obviously the market would set the price, but for People wanting the finer things because they have done well in a survival situation, I could see them paying a decent amount. No dollars would be around in a barter situation, but I'd bet You could get upwards of 10 times the value of it today...just a guess.

reply to post by THE_PROFESSIONAL

I totally agree creature comforts are key to any survival. I have tried my best to get away from the electrical, or dependency of it. I have several reasons for this personal belief: such as one of the newer weapons conceived by DARPA is B 52's set up with EMP weapons., Next would be the possibility of Solar Flares, which rumors are circulating that the govt. is preparing for that one., finally is the possibility of a pole shift, should this happen no electrical motors, or generators will work.....They'll be out of phase.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join