It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ten Things That Are Missing from Obama's Health Care Reform Debate

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 04:21 PM
link   
First the article:

You can't fix one broken system by replacing it with another broken system. Sure, the current health care system of "that's a pre-existing condition" insurance companies, employer-funded health insurance and miserable Medicaid is a public health disaster, but if we're going to fix the system, we have to come up with something that actually addresses the root cause of disease in America.

The current health care reform debate in Washington is really just a distraction -- a ploy to keep everyone focused on all the wrong topics while quietly refusing to talk about the big issues that threaten the health of an entire nation.

Here are the top 10 things missing from Obama's health care reform plan (and often absent from the debate):

#1) Ending the FDA's suppression of natural cures and safe, effective nutritional supplements.

#2) Initiating a real investment in public education to teach people about how to prevent disease with nutrition.

#3) Ending Big Pharma's monopoly on drug prices and drug patents (not to mention patents on human genes and animals).

#4) Restoring the ability for local doctors to practice local medicine without being controlled from bureaucrats in Washington.

#5) Cracking down on junk food advertising, soda advertising and pharmaceutical ads that convince people to purchase products that will only harm them.

#6) Banning dangerous chemical ingredients that cause diseases in the first place (aspartame, MSG, sodium nitrite, etc.)

#7) A real effort to improve school lunches and serve food that's nutritious instead of food that's cheap and convenient.

#8) Ending bizarre food subsidies on crops like corn that end up making high-fructose corn syrup the cheapest sweetener for manufacturers to use.

#9) Affirming health freedom for parents who wish to opt out of the current system of forced vaccinations and gunpoint-enforced chemotherapy.

#10) Requiring honest food labeling where irradiated and GMO foods are clearly labeled as such.
www.naturalnews.com...

Please consider taking the time to use the interesting links provided within the sourced page.

Now ...

Much of the national discussion around the various versions of the ever changing proposed healthcare bill have concentrated around political/economic ideology, most importantly the bill and the debate itself has revolved around reactionary healthcare. That is to say, someone gets sick, how do we treat them and who pays for it.

What is not being discussed are some of the macro and fundamental causes for disease and illness which the above list of concerns outlines.

It is my belief, and it stands to reason, that if more attention is paid on prevention and "healhier living" that the political, social, and economic costs would be reduced to a degree that would make healthcare a much easier proposition to agree on, not to mention the byproduct of folk getting sick a lot less.

However, one cannot minimize the difficulty in addressing some of the points on the above list. Many powerful lobbies and a heck of a lot of money is invested in us being unhealthy.

Anyhoot, I thought these were important elements to bring to the conversation.

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 04:30 PM
link   
NO! NO! we can't have a healthy diet it is against CODEX rules!!!

I was horrified when I found out the local school had installed candy machines and coke machines in school. I do entertainment for kids. The obesity problem, especially among certain groups is enough to make you want to cry. When I see an over weight 4 yr old sucking on a coke or piece of candy I want to shake some sense into the parents. Unless there is a medical problem an overweight child under age 5 is entirely due to the parents teaching poor habits.

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 04:34 PM
link   
Admitting our manufactured way of life is wrogn will hurt our economy and collapse our way of life!

Why cant you see!!!!

(sarcasm)

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 04:58 PM
link   
reply to post by schrodingers dog

You forgot Tort reform.
It's off the table right now because the trial lawyers paid off Obama.

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 05:08 PM
link   
Actually, I can narrow it down to three. Three things missing from the healthcare reform; TRUTH, JUSTICE, THE AMERICAN WAY!
But hey, it does pay for unlimited abortion, and right to die counseling.

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 05:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Eurisko2012

Are you kidding me!!!!
Trial lawyers paid off Obama. That is just plain nonsense.

The insurance companies want you to believe that tort reform is the answer. They have paid millions of dollars to advertise that the "Evil Lawyers" are nothing more than blood sucking vampires that steel money from your pockets by suing innocent Doctors. Stop believing their lies!!!

Lawyers that sue Doctors do so almost exclusively on a contingency fee basis . They don't get paid a dime unless they win the case. Filing a suit costs a lot of money. Preparing for trial costs a lot of money. Taking the doctors deposition costs a lot of money. See a pattern here? The lawyer foots that bill and only gets that money back if they win. In order to win, the Doctor had to have done something wrong. Thus, filing frivolous lawsuits would be insane and financial suicide.

The insurance companies do not want to pay when the Doctor screws up. Who can blame them. But they have no problem cashing that doctors check every month when she pays her premium.

I dare you to ask a judge about frivolous lawsuits. If you can find one judge that says frivolous suits are costing people money I will star every post you have ever made and flag all your threads. You can not do it, because judges throw out cases without merit. period. No merit, no claim.

Further, check any state that has passed comprehensive tort reform and find out if anyones premiums have gone down. Not one I guarantee it. The premiums in those states have risen right along with the national average. The only thing tort reform has done in those states in limit the amount an innocent injured party can receive in compensation for those injuries.

Tort reform is nothing but corporate immunity and is an insurance company lie.

*edit for spelling and grammar*

[edit on 20-8-2009 by Artephius Abraxas Helios]

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 05:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gregarious
Actually, I can narrow it down to three. Three things missing from the healthcare reform; TRUTH, JUSTICE, THE AMERICAN WAY!
But hey, it does pay for unlimited abortion, and right to die counseling.

Mmm, even when confronted with a genuine opportunity to engage in valid criticism, you choose to take the deer in the headlights approach and regurgitate the tired, inapposite, and off topic talking points.

Sadly indicative of the overall level of discourse on this issue on ATS and the country at large.

Do you have anything to contribute to the points raised in the OP?

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 06:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Artephius Abraxas Helios
The insurance companies want you to believe that tort reform is the answer. They have paid millions of dollars to advertise that the "Evil Lawyers" are nothing more than blood sucking vampires that steel money from your pockets by suing innocent Doctors. Stop believing their lies!!!

Lawyers that sue Doctors do so almost exclusively on a contingency fee basis . They don't get paid a dime unless they win the case. Filing a suit costs a lot of money. Preparing for trial costs a lot of money. Taking the doctors deposition costs a lot of money. See a pattern here? The lawyer foots that bill and only gets that money back if they win. In order to win, the Doctor had to have done something wrong. Thus, filing frivolous lawsuits would be insane and financial suicide.

The insurance companies do not want to pay when the Doctor screws up. Who can blame them. But they have no problem cashing that doctors check every month when she pays her premium.

I dare you to ask a judge about frivolous lawsuits. If you can find one judge that says frivolous suits are costing people money I will star every post you have ever made and flag all your threads. You can not do it, because judges throw out cases without merit. period. No merit, no claim.

Well, I'm still looking for a judge's take on it, but how about the DOCTOR's take on it?

blog.medicaljustice.com... Read a few of the entries, heck, read them all.

Here's one from the National Policy Center www.nationalcenter.org...

Further, check any state that has passed comprehensive tort reform and find out if anyones premiums have gone down. Not one I guarantee it. The premiums in those states have risen right along with the national average. The only thing tort reform has done in those states in limit the amount an innocent injured party can receive in compensation for those injuries.

Ohio passed comprehensive tort reform and their malpractice insurance premiums decreased www.covermd.com...

when the doctor's costs decrease, so do the patient's

Here's a .pdf on the effect of tort reform in Mississippi www.alec.org...

Granted, the INSURANCE companies don't like to reduce their premiums, and in most cases, they don't, because the greed is really in the insurance companies.

But while the HC Bill talks about limiting premium rate INCREASES, it does not, in any way, shape or form, discuss mandating specific costs for the premiums.

So when the .gov cannot convince the INS companies to reduce the premiums, that 8% tax on the employer and the "whatever" tax on your check will increase, over & over again.

And you won't be able to stop it.

No one is saying that Tort Reform is the catch all solution, but it IS part of the solution and should be part of any comprehensive universal health care plan.

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 06:35 PM
link   
Tort reform is a part of the solution. Incredible amounts of money spent on needless tests and procedures only to cover a doctor's ass. I agree, the lawyers spend a lot of money and time preparing a malpractice case....however, a doctor's practice can be trashed by the smallest hint of a malpractice suit.

I think taking malpractice cases away from jury trials would make a big difference.

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 08:40 PM
link   

It is my belief, and it stands to reason, that if more attention is paid on prevention and "healhier living" that the political, social, and economic costs would be reduced to a degree that would make healthcare a much easier proposition to agree on, not to mention the byproduct of folk getting sick a lot less.

As I strap my hard hat on in anticipation of the sky falling because I finally agree with Dog, I want to add that physical education needs to be a bigger part of the education process in America. It is being ignored in many school districts today.

We can make large strides in as little as one generation if we teach good life habits.

S&F

[edit on 20-8-2009 by jsobecky]

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 09:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by jsobecky

As I strap my hard hat on in anticipation of the sky falling because I finally agree with Dog ..

lol, we forgot sky falling coverage ...

I want to add that physical education needs to be a bigger part of the education process in America. It is being ignored in many school districts today.

Indeed, perhaps even a few classes on nutrition would compliment the effort.

We can make large strides in as little as one generation if we teach good life habits.

I'll drink (wheatgrass of course) to that.

I think an additional point could be made to also get rid of that useless BMI.

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 09:09 PM
link   

Indeed, perhaps even a few classes on nutrition would compliment the effort.

As well as complement it.
Good nutrition should be a keystone of good education.

Kids are not being taught good life habits. I remember the old 'Home Economics' courses that were taught when I went to school. In addition to teaching one how to cook, clean, etc., they were a good way to meet the girls in school. Do they even offer those kind of courses anymore?

It's a sad fact that America, one of the most fortunate countries as far as natural food resources, is also one of the unhealthiest.

[edit on 20-8-2009 by jsobecky]

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 09:31 PM
link   
I have many nephews who spend all their time watching tv and playing games, They really remind me of the Pilsbury Doughboy and the Goodyear tire character. All they do is munch munch munch. Hell, Pac-man couldn't keep up with them. I know they are headed for some serious medical problems but this is the lifestyle their parents want them to live.

Unfortunately, society as a whole will pick up some of the tab for the lifestyle they live. Lifestyle does contribute to health costs.

As far as malpractice lawsuits contribution to rising costs, I would like people to look at this site and tell me what you think. In 2007, about 4Billion was paid out in malpractice lawsuit averaging about $330,000 per claim. Please make sure to look at the notes who was included in this research.

www.statehealthfacts.org...

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 09:42 PM
link   
Well just got a job doing medical billing for some extree cash.

Try the doctor performing 6 procedures

The Insurance company deems as being $180.00 worth of care

Then the doc gets paid $55.00 when she bill insurance and the insurance company charging the expense to its pool as $180.00 EXPENSE

how much profit is that for them???? any guesses???

I will do a nice thread using some actual bills scenarios and numbers one day...

Many of you are going about this the wrong way, unfortunately I now see it everyday.

YOU GET RIPPED, YOUR DOCTOR GETS RIPPED

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 10:09 PM
link   
Expensive it may be but bad it is not. Check it out.

Not to bad. Could be better though.

www.infoplease.com...

Socialized medicine countries score the highest for life expectency.

Wiki

[edit on 20-8-2009 by Xeven]

[edit on 20-8-2009 by Xeven]

posted on Aug, 21 2009 @ 09:56 AM
link   
I consider myself a lucky man, I have always eaten a low calorie diet daily and my weight has never broken 147 pounds, I am 5'9" and usually weigh around 135. I know I am one skinny white boy but at 32 years old I routinely outrun younger men on the softball diamond and look the same as I did in high school (except for around 15 gray hairs on my temples). I credit this not to an uber-healthy lifestyle, I smoke a bit and enjoy the occasional Oreo, ok occasional BAG of Oreos, but to a moderate amount of exercise and not overloading my digestive tract with garbage. This has passed on to my sons who consider a snack to be raw broccoli or a bowl of fruit. My oldest drinks copious amounts of water and although he weighs 60 lbs. at 4 years they are 60 pounds of muscle. The kid is a rock, the kids his age cannot keep up with him. Getting back to my point, I tend to ramble, if you live a healthy lifestyle your kids will too. I see people I know who gorge themselves on junk food and look to their kids who are usually roly poly and complain that my boy wants to play games that have too much running in them. It saddens me to see an obese child, especially today, fat kids when I was little didn't seem to be as out of shape as they do now. Sorry if this post seems to go on to no end but it is my first.

top topics

join