It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Abducted by the media: ABC fails again

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 10:15 PM
link   
ABC’s Primetime “Abducted by Aliens: Believers Tell Their Stories” (ABC 10:00 PM ET 18 August 2009) was another waste of time and yet one more example of how the media is too well trained to see... or at least report the obvious.

But rather than focus solely on this poor bit of reporting, we should instead make note of the larger problem of the ‘Fair and Balanced’ notion of news telling.

Truth: Life is hardly ever fair and rarely, if ever, balanced. To present any kind of research under this format… is to guarantee that the end result will be neither convincing or even useful. To the contrary, to be ‘fair and balanced’ is to create a false sense of reality that offers a hand of comfort to those who may not find their happy zone in the bare, naked facts.

‘Fair and Balanced’is first and foremost a political mistake, originally forwarded under the pretense that to do otherwise, was not politically correct to everyone. But again, life is not fair and not balanced... and to present anything resembling honest reporting under this horribly false pretense, is a waste of time and utterly deceiving.

This latest example was nothing but yet another Peter Jennings' UFO denial party, where nothing was revealed except the media's unforgivable culpability to the ignorance of the public.

[edit on 18-8-2009 by redoubt]

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 10:45 PM
link   
reply to post by redoubt

I just watched the last half and was again disappointed. They always seem to leave the debunkers till the last to erase any credibility.

I have have awoken with sleep paralysis many times and never thought I was abducted. In fact, I have been totally awake during those times and have perfect recall.

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 10:56 PM
link   
I understand what you mean about leaving debunkers/skeptics until the end, thus giving the final impression/overview but in saying that, you must have skeptics to maintain balance and provide prosaic answers where applicable.

Clearly, not everyone who claims they are being abducted is being abducted so we need to identify the probable causes of those experiences.

It's all valid IMHO. Without skeptics and critical thinkers, UFOlogy and other esoteric fields of research will never be taken seriously.

Terra

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 11:02 PM
link   
Original thread was started here this afternoon:

Original Thread

Apparently there are several threads on this tv show.

[edit on 8/18/2009 by Nivcharah]

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 11:08 PM
link   
For all the money that's spent making and showing one of these ( I would think?) They could have given him an FMRI instead of a few doctors with the same old mantra.

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 11:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Terranaut

I certainly agree. But leaving the debunkers for last and not interspersing them within the content of the show leaves one with a LAST impression that is hard to overcome. The they give derogatory comments about the psychologist. It causes one to wonder if they weren't specifically chosen for this. Even down played John Mack of Harvard.

It is the appearance of balanced content with subtle manipulation.

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 11:22 PM
link   
reply to post by redoubt

The show was pretty awful. I mean, I knew that the shrinks were coming, but I just thought that they would wait closer to the end. The selection of abductees was so lacking, that the only thing I could say was "At least they had some black people".

The only thing they were trying to tell folks was that folks were imagining things and were having sleep paralysis. They were so intent on putting that into our heads, that they went and grabbed Harvard psychiatrists. Yale wasn't even up to the task.

And then something out there has even got the disinfo crew on ATS claiming that trying to convince us that abductees are imagining things under sleep paralysis makes the reporting "fair and balanced". (Yeah, just as a heads up, there are "time travelers" with accounts on ATS that make comments, just so you know)

Even the picture was terrible. But hey, when it's in HD like that, the only way to get rid of JuJu's blemishes is with an air brush

new topics

top topics

join