It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Military enthusiasts begin re-enacting Vietnam War

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 07:28 PM
link   

Military enthusiasts begin re-enacting Vietnam War

news.yahoo.com

BOALSBURG, Pa. – The dirt paths that lead to Alpha Company's field headquarters are lined with overgrown grass and weeds. A canvas tent is protected by machine guns, sandbags and Army-green storage boxes. And lurking somewhere outside is the enemy: the Viet Cong.

But these aren't the jungles of southeast Asia, just the woods of small-town Pennsylvania, where more than 30 years after the fall of Saigon, military enthusiasts are beginning to re-enact the Vietnam War.

For decades, re-enactors
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.msnbc.msn.com

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 07:28 PM
link   
I've seen that there is a great amount of interest in the Vietnam War. The new commander of US forces in Afghanistan, McChrystal, was recently briefed by Vietnam historian Stanley Karnow in hopes of learning a few tricks to help his vision of America emerge from Afghanistan victorious.

I saw this article and immediately became somewhat concerned and paranoid. ...Is this the beginning of the covert right wing miitias attempt to bring down the government?

I wonder if these guys are aware that their enemy is laying in wait for them....indeed...are expecting them and have prepared a place for them.

Hold unto your hats?

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 07:55 PM
link   
reply to post by IDK88

Right wing militias enacting a war we lost? You sure you haven't look on those left wing liberals who likes to remind us why we lost?

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 08:00 PM
link   
reply to post by deltaboy

It could be the left wingers too for all I know...but in addition to this obsession with Vietnam, there has been a lot of chatter about the militias lately. I suppose I could have provided a recent link in my original post, but I just assumed that everyone knew.

Militia activity on the Rise

I don't want anyone to think I have a problem with the right wing militias, its just they are so much more popular than the left wing militias; who don't get much press at all.

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 08:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by IDK88

I saw this article and immediately became somewhat concerned and paranoid. ...Is this the beginning of the covert right wing miitias attempt to bring down the government?

This is totally ridiculous.

Civil War and Revolutionary War reenactments have been conducted for decades and never has one rebellion been associated with such activities, nor has anyone ever expressed any concern for such.

Did you read the article at all?

For decades, re-enactors have played out key events in the Revolutionary or Civil wars. Now they are illustrating one of the nation's most controversial conflicts — and paying tribute to veterans.

"We do it to honor these guys and to tell them, 'You weren't forgotten,' to tell them it wasn't always negative," said Tom Gray, 47, of Altoona, who played a platoon leader at the encampment outside the Pennsylvania Military Museum in Boalsburg, about 120 miles northeast of Pittsburgh.

Vietnam re-enactors have no national organization, but participants say Vietnam War groups are popping up around the country. Events were staged earlier this year in Houston and Jackson, Miss. Fort Harrison State Park in Indiana held a Vietnam-era "tactical demonstration" last month.

news.yahoo.com...

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 08:23 PM
link   
reply to post by GradyPhilpott

Yes, I read the entire article. Not much to see. But when you put all the pieces together, including:

1. Stanley McChrystal's meeting the Vietnam historian.
2. The reemerging Militia movement.

It's quite obvious that it is intended to inform us all that a covert militant operation is now underway in the United States theater and the Vietnam Simulation has been selected as the operating script. The scope of the operation will be nationwide.

Furthermore to that everyone is very excited and optimistic about success.

Most of these things can't even be considered difficult to decifer. I cannot believe you can't see this.

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 07:46 AM
link   

It's quite obvious that it is intended to inform us all that a covert militant operation is now underway in the United States theater and the Vietnam Simulation has been selected as the operating script. The scope of the operation will be nationwide.

It is hardly obvious.

In fact, such a conclusion without evidence is sheer fantasy or worse.

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 09:04 PM
link   
reply to post by GradyPhilpott

Evidence...? So you're one of those people. Afraid to make a decision without an abundance of evidence. Heck, by the time you figure out what's happening we'd all be dead.

Keep searching for your evidence.

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 09:23 PM
link   
I used to go out and smack people in armor, while in armor, for fun.
(SCA)

Real dangerous people there, beat you with a stick, then feed you, and share their drinks. Not to say the "'No ****, there I was ... " stories.

I know a few of them that trained Police Departments in their cities on how to form a effective (riot control) shield wall so the protesters can't get past.

While some of them like guns, most prefer swords any day.

And most will say they like their flush toilets and hot showers, no matter how cool it would be to live in the middle ages.

M.

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 09:25 PM
link   
reply to post by IDK88

Is that another picture interlaced with your avatar?

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 09:40 PM
link   
Who is going to play the villagers we were suppose to have mowed down.

Maybe someone can simulate a arc light strike and get the ground rolling for miles.

Or a run by puff the dragon.

I wonder if the parks let them build VC tunnel complexes.

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 09:56 PM
link   
reply to post by desertdreamer

That image exists behind glass in a museum. That shadow you see is the reflection of the photographer in the glass.

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 10:09 PM
link   

Evidence...? So you're one of those people. Afraid to make a decision without an abundance of evidence. Heck, by the time you figure out what's happening we'd all be dead.

No you're right of course, we should burn witches to the stake and imprison people for observing the heavens.

Or we could make a conscious effort to remind people who spread such ignorant views of the essence which allows for such to exist. It did not start with the individual who martyred himself and others for beliefs. But rather with the individual who martyred his beliefs for himself and others.

[edit on 18-8-2009 by WestPoint23]

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 10:19 PM
link   
After watching Iraq, Afghanistan and Somalia, I know that all wars are fake. Only at the highest levels are the reasons behind the madness known. Did Smedley Butler say..."War is a Racket"?

So, if all wars are fake, all war reenactments are also fake; and like the war that it is based on only the highest levels know the true purpose of the reenactment. When I see someone talking about doing a reenactment, I know that they are communicating secretly...and since none of you knows why wars are truely fought, you couldn't possibly know why there is a reenactment. See how that works? It is liberating to admit what you don't know. Liberate yourself.

I took a stab at uncovering the true purpose of the article. My interpretation is a gift to you...make the most of it.

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 10:20 PM
link   
Left Wing Militias? Is that what someone said?

What in hell is a left-wing militia? The left wingers all wear their shorts backwards, have an aversion to conflict, and wouldn't know what to do with a firearm if they had one.

And this Vietnam re-enactment?

I would really, really like to see another BLU-82 go off from two clicks and a half away. Sure lets you know if you have any loose teeth. And even if you didn't before, you will have after that bad boy pops.

Cool idea. I just imagine the performance is better than the original.

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 10:21 PM
link   

The only thing obvious is that you don't have a clue about reenactors or "living historians" as some like to be called.

Here in PA, every January, they reenact the Battle of the Bulge. Does that mean that "right wing militias" are being formed here in the pattern of the Nazis, since many of the units that are here are SS?

Or what about when all the Civil War reenactors get together and form up at Gettysburg? I guess with all the Confederates, that means slavery will be making a comeback in a big, big way, huh?

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 10:23 PM
link   
reply to post by IDK88

IDK, if you know that all wars are fake, then you don't know ****.

Nothing like a kid on a keyboard who knows everything about everything, and yet, has it all wrong.

You need to get off your butt, sign up, and get into the game, friend.

The first time you hear a crack, and your brother's brain matter is spattered all over you, then you write and tell me how it's all fake.

What a load of pretentious, naive crap.

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 10:24 PM
link   

After watching Iraq, Afghanistan and Somalia, I know that all wars are fake.

Well, this statement is obviously coming from someone that's never spent time in the beaten zone.

A no-go at this station.

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 10:29 PM
link   
reply to post by jerico65

Battle of the Bulge...German Offensive, Allied Defensive result...Allied Victory. Its a Simulation tought to covert paramilitary forces in your area. The same exact thing. Sometimes its practice, sometimes its live.

Let me ask you this...do you often reenact lost battles?

I think this particular Vietnam Simulation has gone live. Keep safe your wives and children.

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 10:30 PM
link   
reply to post by jerico65

So, if you've been on the battle field...then you know all about war? Is that what you are trying to convince me.

From the way I see it...if you're on the battlefield you don't know anything about war.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join