It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Conservatives Now Outnumber Liberals in All 50 States, Says Gallup Poll

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 05:53 PM
link   
Good news for the U.S.
and more reason to hope this insanity won't last more than 4 years.

article

Self-identified conservatives outnumber self-identified liberals in all 50 states of the union, according to the Gallup Poll.

At the same time, more Americans nationwide are saying this year that they are conservative than have made that claim in any of the last four years.

In 2009, 40% percent of respondents in Gallup surveys that have interviewed more than 160,000 Americans have said that they are either “conservative” (31%) or “very conservative” (9%). That is the highest percentage in any year since 2004.

Only 21% have told Gallup they are liberal, including 16% who say they are “liberal” and 5% who say they are “very liberal.”

Thirty-five percent of Americans say they are moderate.

And to the liberals out there, yes we know they didn't ask you ...

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 06:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by centurion1211

And for that witty punch-line I'm going to give you a Star for totally making my day!

Gallup used to have a most remarkable Track Record (we'll all let the Dewey Incident slide) but ranking 17th out of 23 Polling Agencies last year, they seem to be slipping in their credibility.

Maybe they are just having problems competing in this Digital Age when they are still using Magic 8-Balls instead of computerized Random Poll Result Generators.

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 06:27 PM
link   
In the petty world of partisan politics, "liberal" seems to be more of a dirty word than conservative, which can also mean constitutionalist. But if you were to ask someone if they were liberal in a poll, though they may be in favor of human rights, the true sense of the word, it has taken on the reputation of being for media propaganda and government control of life.

Labels, who needs em?

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 06:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by fraterormus

Originally posted by centurion1211

And for that witty punch-line I'm going to give you a Star for totally making my day!

Gallup used to have a most remarkable Track Record (we'll all let the Dewey Incident slide) but ranking 17th out of 23 Polling Agencies last year, they seem to be slipping in their credibility.

Maybe they are just having problems competing in this Digital Age when they are still using Magic 8-Balls instead of computerized Random Poll Result Generators.

I think when the results of the 2010 elections are in; we won't have to wonder how far off Gallup was. Nancy Pelosi is creating new conservatives every day. Even in academia, where I toil daily, formerly liberal and uberliberal faculty are moving right. Can we give some kind of award to every house member who voted for Pelosi as speaker? She is turning out to be the conservatives' secret weapon.

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 06:43 PM
link   
reply to post by centurion1211

From your "the right news right now" source:

"While Gallup polling has found this to be true at the national level over many years, and spanning recent Republican as well as Democratic presidential administrations, the present analysis confirms that the pattern also largely holds at the state level,” said Gallup.
(emine)

So ...

a) nothing new.
b) despite this reps still got trounced.

So if the message you're getting from this is "what we're doing is working" then by all means, keep at it, the Dems will be crushed.

Argh, I hate this two party coin so MUCH!

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 06:45 PM
link   
Gallup Poles mean jack all. It is just a way for one side to justify somthing for them or to bash the other side. These polls are rigged too, on the grounds that statistics are made up to prove a point. Seriously, why do people listen to the politicians and polls? They're just going to take you for a ride.

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 07:15 PM
link   
Its not new. Polling has long shown that self-identified conservatives outnumber self-identified liberals approximately 2:1 in the US, with moderates as an equal or slightly larger share than conservatives.

It is, as they say, a center-right country. The Dems know this as well as anyone. They actively recruited candidates in the last two cycles who were quite conservative to run in traditional GOP districts and won with them (and ironically, those guys are now causing the Dem leadership fits because they're balking on healthcare and cap-and-trade). Obama even portrayed himself as much more of a moderate during the campaign than he really is.

Moving forward, the liberal wing of the Democratic party now in control of Congress faces a familiar problem. There are far more Democrats in the country than there are liberals, but more conservatives than Republicans. In other words, the Republicans, as beaten down as they are, have a structural advantage in the electorate. That doesn't guarantee victory, obviously, but it can allow them to come back much more quickly than I think the Dems realize.

Politically, it pays to move to the right and take a moderate stance overall, something Bill Clinton understood. This group, led largely by Nancy Pelosi, is too tied to ideology to do that and through their radical agenda will, over time, alienate the political moderates who helped bring them to power in 2006 and 2008. In fact, I think that's already happening to an extent.

posted on Aug, 17 2009 @ 07:22 PM
link   
reply to post by schrodingers dog

Well, it might have something to due with the fact that the "reps" aren't conservative despite their occasional claim to be.

How can you vote conservative when your choice is big gov authoritarian v. big gov authoritarian?

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 01:55 AM
link   
When Gallup calls my unlisted cell number, or emails me, or IMs me, etc. then Lilitu the liberal might participate in a poll. On the other hand I will probably hang up, or my spam filter will delete their spam, or I'll block them from IMing me, etc. That is true for most of the liberals I know and is probably true of most young liberals in general.

Conservatives outnumber liberals? No wonder the GOP trounced the Democratic party in the last election.

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 02:03 AM
link   
This is GREAT NEWS!!!

I am very happy now!

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 07:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lilitu
Conservatives outnumber liberals? No wonder the GOP trounced the Democratic party in the last election.

Consider what I wrote above. There are more Democrats in the country than there are liberals. About twice as many, in fact. The Democrat rank and file is composed of a very significant number of moderates and some of their older members are surprisingly conservative.

This is the reason that they're having so much trouble getting healthcare passed and why the House's Cap and Trade tax will not pass the Senate, despite the fact that the Dems easily have the votes to pass both. The liberal wing of the party may largely be in favor of these plans, but they are going over like a lead balloon with the moderates both in the Congress and the public at large.

[edit on 18-8-2009 by vor78]

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 08:00 AM
link   
I don't call it conservatives VS liberals how about unhappy citizens against the system of government we have.

I consider myself neither nor, still I didn't got a phone call for this poll and I am a disappointed citizens when it comes with our system of government.

I imagine that is a lot of people like me out there, just fed up and angry regardless of liberalism or conservatism.

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 08:20 AM
link   
I feel so left out that they didn't ask me...

We liberals need to mobilize the army!

But we have to be careful, my liberal allies! For the conservatives will try to stop us at any cost!

Protect Keith Olbermann! He's our most important liberal!

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 08:24 AM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

Indeed, there is a very large amount of public discontent factoring into the current policy debates from across the political spectrum. All you have to do is look at the 30% approval ratings of Congress to see that.

If I had to guess, the anti-Republican sentiment we've seen in the last two election cycles is on the verge of becoming an anti-incumbent sentiment instead.

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 08:27 AM
link   
And your source is a right wing website?

I also thought that when Obama was first inaugurated and newly popular, polls were innaccurate and didn't mean anything.

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 08:45 AM
link   
Source is a Gallup Poll.

And you know what this tells me is people are embarrassed to say they are liberal or extreme liberal. It's much more "cool" to say I'm an independent. I suspect that's where the missing liberals went... they are still there.

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 08:51 AM
link   
reply to post by vor78

Exactly, the issue of the health care reform has prompted a wide variety of citizens from all kind of races and regardless of party lines to unite against what they believe is not for their best interest.

But again if you protest the Obama health care reform you are tag a conservative regarless.

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 08:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by jjkenobi
Source is a Gallup Poll.

And you know what this tells me is people are embarrassed to say they are liberal or extreme liberal. It's much more "cool" to say I'm an independent. I suspect that's where the missing liberals went... they are still there.

brent bozell runs this site...one of the biggest right-wing loonies around... this man has lied throughout his semi-political life. i wouldn't trust him to sell a box of girl scout cookies, let alone trust him for truthful dialog.

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 09:05 AM
link   
Anyone who runs anything has a personal view or opinion - no one is completely objective. Polls are taken with a grain of salt and fun to talk about.

posted on Aug, 18 2009 @ 09:10 AM
link   
Somehow I get the feeling this poll would mean a lot more if they defined 'liberal' and 'conservative' before they asked the questions.

I mean, I am firmly against abortion in all cases barring rape and incest. I also do not want a law against it. I am staunchly in favor of less government, but I see the need for a welfare program that works. I hate war and want out of Iraq, but I agree we needed to go in.

Does that make me a conservible?

Labels are useless if no one knows what they mean.

TheRedneck

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join