It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gluttony committed every day by thousands of people

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 09:59 AM
link   
I decided to put this up because i read a thread about Homosexuality and how its a sin, but i started to think hmm what other sins are people committing that we don't really pay attention to, well here is one

1. Eating before the time of meal in order to satisfy the palate.

Biblical example: Jonathan eating a little honey, when his father Saul commanded no food to be taken before the evening.

2. Seeking delicacies and better quality of food to gratify the "vile sense of taste."

Biblical example: When Israelites escaping from Egypt complained, "Who shall give us flesh to eat ? We remember the fish which we did eat in Egypt freely ; the cucumbers and the melons, and the leeks and the onions and the garlic," God rained fowls for them to eat but punished them 500 years later.

3. Seeking after sauces and seasonings for the enjoyment of the palate.

Biblical example: Two sons of Eli the high priest made the sacrificial meat to be cooked in one manner rather than another. They were met with death.

4. Exceeding the necessary amount of food.

Biblical example: One of the sins of Sodom was "fullness of bread."

5. Taking food with too much eagerness, even when eating the proper amount, and even if the food is not luxurious.

Biblical example: Esau selling his birthright for ordinary food of bread and pottage of lentils. His punishment was that the "profane person . . . who, for a morsel of meat sold his birthright," we learn that " he found no place for repentance, though he sought it carefully, with tears."

The fifth way is worse than all others, because it shows attachment to pleasure most clearly among others.

one may succumb to the sin of gluttony by:

1. Time (when)
2. Quality
3. Stimulants
4. Quantity
5. Eagerness

yea my bad lets thank wiki for this info lol

P.S i dont follow all this crap i can care less how much people eat and i love gay people really friendly people.

[edit on 16-8-2009 by ^anubis^]

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 10:08 AM
link   
It is considered bad form to copy/paste from a website and not give it credit.

en.wikipedia.org...

Personally, I feel most of that is hogwash... people in power trying to control the masses. Luckily, as the article you copied/pasted states, a pope comes to his senses later on and details the following:

"Pope Innocent XI Odescalchi has condemned the proposition which asserts that it is not a sin to eat or to drink from the sole motive of satisfying the palate. However, it is not a fault to feel pleasure in eating: for it is, generally speaking, impossible to eat without experiencing the delight which food naturally produces. But it is a defect to eat, like beasts, through the sole motive of sensual gratification, and without any reasonable object. Hence, the most delicious meats may be eaten without sin, if the motive be good and worthy of a rational creature; and, in taking the coarsest food through attachment to pleasure, there may be a fault."

I love to cook. I see no harm and no sin in trying to make something appealing to eat. It is an experiment of creativity as well as a profession to many.

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 11:07 AM
link   
reply to post by ^anubis^

Because many religious pick and choose what they want to follow. Much like a choose your own adventure book.

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 11:14 AM
link   
Yeah, and the same churches that rage against gays, pre marital sex, gambling, and all the rest are full of morbidly obese people that can't wait for church to end so they can be first in line for the Sunday Buffet.

I always found it humorous how Christians only focus on certain sins.
Forget gossip, gluttony, usury, adultery, bearing false witness and many others.

And this is the comedy of errors we call organized religion!

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 11:17 AM
link   
One only has to view the waistlines in this country to see this sin at work!
One reason the health care industry is just that, an industry!

Its greeds best friend.
They go together, - you know - like toast and jam.
As paranoia is to scary. (see sig)

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 11:28 AM
link   
[Thought] Why do some people require acceptance from strangers for their choices in life? Is it that they feel they weren't loved by their parents as a child? Maybe. [/Thought]

[edit on 8/16/09 by Ferris.Bueller.II]

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 11:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by dodadoom
One only has to view the waistlines in this country to see this sin at work!

I believe sloth has more to do with this then eating flavorful food. I am not disagreeing on the part of gluttony where people over eat, but to say eating flavorful food is a sin? I take offense to that.

The religious leaders of the day had every incentive to have the masses save every penny they could to tithe more to the church. Their personal banquets far exceeded what my family eats.

The hypocrasy of the church is the main reason why I stopped going.

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 11:50 AM
link   
"And again I say unto you, It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God."

If Jesus showed up today, the Religious Right would denounce him as a Communist

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 11:52 AM
link   

Gluttony committed every day by thousands of people

Only thousands?

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 11:55 AM
link   
reply to post by TLomon

I agree. I strictly meant overeating, of which we are all guilty of
sooner or later. But we carry this into every facet of our lives until
it becomes the be all to end all.
We associate success with material wealth, not internal peace.
I also agree religion is corrupted by man and geared towards making money. (as in the devil made me do it)
It is a fancy glee club.
Spirituality is deeply personal and FROM God.
Therefore ,no one church can have all the answers.
Only God does. IMO

[edit on 16-8-2009 by dodadoom]

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 11:58 AM
link   
reply to post by redhead57

LMFAO!!!!!! yea these so call RELIGIOUS PEOPLE need to stop giving other people so much crap just cause a book tells them what to do, im glad the bible doesnt say that at a certain age you have to pull your eyes out or cut your special pickle off cause we would be in big trouble

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 12:00 PM
link   
reply to post by Ferris.Bueller.II

WHAT?????

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 12:01 PM
link   
reply to post by xmotex

"And again I say unto you, It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God."

If we would understand this and take it to heart,
I think we would be alot better off.
Doubt the big wigs at goldman sux or aig know what this means!

Its not meant as literal of course, but to show greed is not the answer!

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 12:01 PM
link   
reply to post by xmotex

jesus would think were a bunch of idiots too

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 12:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Stormdancer777

LMAO I just gave an educated guess plus i was on a hurry, i was going to IHOP!!!! lmao

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 12:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by ^anubis^

LMAO I just gave an educated guess plus i was on a hurry, i was going to IHOP!!!! lmao

OMG IHOP?

cute

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 12:06 PM
link   

Did you bring us back anything?

I was also wondering why only thousands and not millions?

Maybe cuz only about that many "get it" and they are all on ATS!

The millions are the lost sheeple!

Thanks for the thread!

[edit on 16-8-2009 by dodadoom]

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 12:14 PM
link   

These are all Old Testement examples. Jesus himself saved us from all of this.

Here is one of my favorite verses from the New Testement

Acts 10:13 A voice came to him, "Rise, Peter, kill and eat!"

[edit on 16-8-2009 by RRconservative]

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 01:06 PM
link   

xD

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 01:08 PM
link   
reply to post by RRconservative

sure it wasn't "Rice Peter, Kill and Eat"?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join