It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NY County Must Construct Cheaper Housing for Minorities Near Whites

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 01:27 AM
link   

NY County Must Construct Cheaper Housing for Minorities Near Whites

www.google.com

WHITE PLAINS, N.Y. — The suburban county just north of New York City agreed Monday to create hundreds of affordable homes in heavily white communities and encourage nonwhites to move in.

The agreement, reached with the help of the federal department of Housing and Urban Development, settles a $180 million lawsuit brought by the Anti-Discrimination Center of Metro New York against Westchester County.

Both sides said the agreement, which was being filed in federal court, could have far-reaching
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 01:27 AM
link   
This is stupid.

The article title should be: "NY County Must Construct Cheaper Housing for the poor within rich communities."

Go to school... Grade well.... Get a good career... Talk #, move up fast... Get $$$ and buy an expensive home in a rich community.

Don't have to be white to do so.

Only in America?

www.google.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 01:34 AM
link   
I'm white so I don't know for sure what nonwhite people feel about this but I can't see why anybody would want to live in cheap housing just because it is next to expensive housing.

It's just more quota politics and won't help either side.

Why not decent housing in a decent neighborhood?

Not trying to stir anything up with this.

It just doesn't make sense.

[edit on 023131p://f16Sunday by badgerprints]

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 01:51 AM
link   
public housing is notorious for bringing high crime rates.. and 'white' (as they put it) don't want to live around that, so people will just move, driving down house prices. It will probably just turn a perfectly fine suburb into a ghetto

this may be controversial but i don't think multiculturalism should be forced on anyone... if a vote was taken i would be very surprised if more than 30% of the people in these areas would support setting up this public housing

[edit on 16-8-2009 by purplemonkey]

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 01:56 AM
link   
Who'd wanna live around a bunch of rich stuck up yuppies? Not me and no one I know. I want to move to a suburb one day but theres a difference between a suburb and rich areas.

I agree though, I dont understand the point of this. Whats the point of cheap housing in a rich area? Makes no sense. lol. It defeats the purpose of a rich area.

And I hope you guys know that low income does not mean black. I'm black and from a poor area but nowadays I make close to 100k a year in computer programming and building websites.. Obviously I dont still live in a poor area, more middle class now. I grew up in a poor neighborhood and in the projects for instance there was lots of whites, mexicans and asians along with blacks.

Also I like how people assume the neighborhood s already all white. Theres tons of rich black people too and I bet some already live there.

[edit on 16-8-2009 by jeasahtheseer]

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 01:58 AM
link   
This will result in white flight and diminished property values.

Diversity has never proven to be beneficial, nor will it ever be no matter how much some emotional retard politicians want it to be.

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 02:03 AM
link   
reply to post by TheAftermath

Yes. It will follow the typical pattern. The rich can afford to relocate when they don't like their neighbourhood any more.

And in the meantime everyone will hate each other.

So - nothing to be gained and a lot to be lost.

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 02:05 AM
link   

So - nothing to be gained and a lot to be lost.

What do you mean??

A LOT to be "gained", is the way I see it.

Lower the prices of houses in the area so new, younger, couples of all races can afford and multi-culturize your neighbourhood.. oh you know, like WE DO IN CANADA !

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 02:08 AM
link   
I must either be truly dense, or extremely tired.

Cheap, affordable housing next to expensive houses.

What is the difference? How is the housing different? Does the cheap housing have porta-johns? No electricity?

If they're in the same location, what makes one cheaper than the other?

More like affordable next to overpriced, and the new tenants in the affordable zone can laugh at the yuppies that overpaid.

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 02:09 AM
link   
reply to post by CanadianDream420

Multi culturalism should not be forced down the throats of the people.

If it is going to happen, it will happen naturally, not at the stroke of a pen by some politician who has wet dreams of living in fantasyland.

If you want low cost housing, why dont YOU build it? See how well it works out for ya.

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 02:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheAftermath
This will result in white flight and diminished property values.

Diversity has never proven to be beneficial, nor will it ever be no matter how much some emotional retard politicians want it to be.

Yes.

I don't want to sound like a racist, but I don't play the politically correct game. Statistically, impoverished minorities will bring crime. Affluent families (white or otherwise) will not want to live with the higher crime rates, so they will move. Property values will plummet, crime rates will continue to rise, and the once wealthy areas will become dilapidated ghettos.

"Westchester can no longer hide from the ugly reality of continuing residential segregation," said Craig Gurian, the anti-discrimination center's executive director.

I can't begin to exclaim how stupid this lawsuit is, because the county doesn't segregate anything! The people segregate themselves, because the wealthier people can afford nicer housing in nicer areas. Just because the majority of those wealthy people happen to be white, equal rights groups have to scream "segregation"? What sense does that make?

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 02:11 AM
link   

If they don't want to integrated they won't be.

All I am saying is, just put the housing somewhere else and save all the hassle.

Here, in NZ, a lot of us live amongst every race and income level with no problems.

So, actually, here in NZ we seem to be managing almost as well as there in Canada.

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 02:31 AM
link   
reply to post by spellbound

We have that, except we don't typically mix income level that much. This is probably because, in the U.S., crime rates are highest in low income areas. Those low income areas are generally marked by housing that costs less, so people pay to be away from that.

It's not always the case. Crime rates can be high in higher income areas due to corruption, but typically speaking it's found in urban poor areas.

People will continue to naturally segregate here until that trend ceases.

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 02:33 AM
link   
Wow.

I wonder if rich white people should be given subsidized homes in poor black communities.....

This is ALMOST as dumb as the "busing system" back where I am from.. kids in rich white areas were shipped to poor black school districts and poor black kids were shipped to poor white school districts. In the end no one was happy and all the schools sucked. Only now the kids had 30 min bus trips.

There's just something... I dunno .. racist about suing a county to force them to build cheap houses in areas with higher concentrations of another race. No?

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 02:34 AM
link   
reply to post by drwizardphd

I don't want to sound like a racist, but I don't play the politically correct game. Statistically, impoverished minorities will bring crime. Affluent families (white or otherwise) will not want to live with the higher crime rates, so they will move. Property values will plummet, crime rates will continue to rise, and the once wealthy areas will become dilapidated ghettos.

You just described suburban Cincinnati....

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 02:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Credge

We have such a small population, and comparatively few rich people.

Sure, there are certain enclaves of the super-rich, but most of us don't have that choice.

Our poorer areas are the most crime-ridden, certainly.

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 02:43 AM
link   

Oh, by the way,

I meant to type that in caps so I will type it again.

Here in NZ we seem to be doing ALMOST AS WELL AS YOU ARE THERE IN CANADA! (Sarcasm hint). Since you felt it necessary to patronize me, I am only human.

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 02:51 AM
link   
reply to post by spellbound

Yeah, we've got an insanely wide array of different types of people with all levels of income all of which are different races with different beliefs of all sorts.

So, segregating will happen pretty much by default anyway. It's what happened when land was being grabbed and settled. This is especially obvious in Texas where you can go from a predominantly Dutch city to a predominantly German city from one town to the next.

It's not a bad thing though. It's just what people want.

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 02:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Credge

So true - water will find its own level and people like being around similar people. Not that I am saying this is always to do with race, but a lot of the time it is.

We all like to have congenial company and that is probably why we can't stand our families (sorry, just kidding).

A lot of animal species don't like others (kill and eat them in fact) and there is nothing different about humans.

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 03:00 AM
link   

Since you felt it necessary to patronize me, I am only human.

Sorry

I do LOVE the U.S.A, trust me.

I even made a video, check it out

top topics

<<   2 >>

join