It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Twitter...Why?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 15 2009 @ 05:45 PM
link   
Has anyone noticed the constant barrage of Twitter ads and and marketing schemes that push the twitter brand?

All the MSM talking heads have an account...And they all urge their viewers to let them know what they are thinking via Twitter... If that doesnt throw a red flag up, then what does?

It was heavily used, supposedly, by those fighting for freedom in Iran during their election.

It was heavily noted that Twitter was used for this reason...

I hear about it multiple times a day... Either from msm or some sort of advertisement...

I cant imagine Twitter has become so popular they have made so much money for such large ad campaigns...

It seems to me a large wast of time...I cant find much use in it. I tried going through it, but found it more than boring. Un informative for the most part and just kind of dumb.

No offence to those of you that use it more often. Maybe you can shed some light as to how useful it is for you...

posted on Aug, 15 2009 @ 05:50 PM
link   
reply to post by open_eyeballs

Like any social network (though twitter is not exactly that) it can be used against you under certain circumstances. So as always, careful what you post and what information you divulge.

Having said that I find it very useful for keeping tracks of the dozens of blogs and breaking news sites I like to follow. So instead of visiting 100 blogs a day I just follow them on twitter and check them out when they post something I find interesting. Kinda like a giant RSS feed.

posted on Aug, 15 2009 @ 05:54 PM
link   
Twitter, Twittering and Tweets. What a load of crud. But a good reason to share this funny with ya.

current.com...

posted on Aug, 15 2009 @ 06:00 PM
link   
reply to post by schrodingers dog

Im unfamiliar with the RSS feed as well..

but essentially you use it to read blogs? because they update on your page? is that accurate?

I have no doubt there are well intentioned Twitterer...ers and certainly it can serve dual purposes...i just wonder how it became so popular so fast?

I also found it odd so many of the msm talking heads tout it so much...who is asking (or paying) them to mention it so much?

posted on Aug, 15 2009 @ 06:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Tinman67

haha..classic...do people really do this???

i dont know anyone that twitters..i think...

i suck at the whole myspace, social netowroking thing anyway..i cant even ge tthe pics i uploaded to ats to show up in the avatar..its quite sad really...

a parody of twitter...what has the world come to, eh?

posted on Aug, 15 2009 @ 06:09 PM
link   
STAR AND FALGGED!!!!!!!!

I will go way beyond what you are willing to my friend.
I cannot for the life of me understand why in the hell ANYONE would waste one minute of their life on that website. If you would have asked me a few years ago if a website like that had any future I would have bet my life savings that it would flop before it ever left the ground.

I seriously question the intelligence of anyone using that website.
I am sure that will offend everyone who reads it but I am not in the position to give a flying rats arse.

Can anyone honestly tell me what social import this website has. Of what value is it at all?

I reserve the right to be wrong, as I often am. Maybe there is something I don't yet understand that is socially redeeming about it. May I will be 'educated' by some of the more "in the know" members. But untill I am, I think websites like that are just another link in the chain of the dumbing down of AmeriKa.

[edit on 15-8-2009 by Jesus H Christ]

posted on Aug, 15 2009 @ 06:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by open_eyeballs
Twitter...why?

Twitter...Die.

posted on Aug, 15 2009 @ 06:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by open_eyeballs
reply to post by schrodingers dog

but essentially you use it to read blogs? because they update on your page? is that accurate?

Yep, others use it to follow their friends, others their political opeds. So it let's say I find blog/news site that I like, be it science, news, ATS, most of them have a twitter account and post a headline "twitt" to a link on their site any time they have a new entry/article/etc and if it is of interest to me I will go read it.

It's really a very useful way to keep track of all your web interests in one place without having to surf through countless sites to find content you enjoy.

posted on Aug, 15 2009 @ 06:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Jesus H Christ

You know what i honestly think?

i think whoever created the site is either in with the government or knows it is being used to gather information..

almost like a spy tool.

big nsa style computers could easily pick up on key political phrases and words and create a political collage of possible dissent vs. content and guage it to have a better undersratning of what the American people are thinking..

kind of like some large social experiment...

i say specifically twitter because it is so widely used for political ideologies and they are short easily recognizeable sentences that leave all the b.s. out of ones opinion..making it easier for the computers to accumulate info and dissect and categorize the American mindset..

im not a paranoid guy by any means..i dont think the governemnt is out to get us, but I bet a site like twitter could be used for things of this nature no problemo...

posted on Aug, 15 2009 @ 06:35 PM
link   
Twitter...Why?

Here's why...

Hey, im *insert C-list celebrity name* and today im *insert pointless task*

*insert meaningless sentiment*

x x x

Thats how it works is it not?

posted on Aug, 15 2009 @ 06:37 PM
link   
reply to post by commoncents

Twitter..bye bye...

for the social networking, and keeping track of your friends blogs or what-not that sounds cool and very innocent, but for ones political opinions, I think it is a btter idea for them to remain anonymous when it comes to posting them online...

posted on Aug, 15 2009 @ 06:40 PM
link   
Whoe gives a hoot about Twitter, stay on ATS and speak about what the rest of the world does not know because their head are in the sand on websites like that.

posted on Aug, 15 2009 @ 06:54 PM
link   
reply to post by open_eyeballs

I think you are right on the money there my friend. There is nothing paranoid about it. I think we have established a long time ago that the Gubberment might have less than the best intentions concerning our common good.

I understand the need to feel like the gubberment has your back and is looking out for you, It makes you feel...Good!
Like a warm fuzzy blanket in front of the fireplace with a cup of steaming hot coa-coa and Ol' Yeller nestled up next to you while Bing Crosby takes you to the Winter Wonderland in your mind.

Unfortunately, THAT AINT THE WAY IT IS FOLKS!!!!!
They will F*** you at every turn. It is not paranoid if it is the truth.

And remember, Just because you are paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get you.

posted on Aug, 15 2009 @ 07:01 PM
link   
I don't understand twitter at all...but here is a funny video some friends of mine made about twitter.

Enjoy

posted on Aug, 15 2009 @ 07:04 PM
link   
Twitter!

I don't have one. I think there must be some magic in it that ensnares people like Nutella ensnares crumbs. Why else do so many use it? I'm tempted to start one, but I just can't think of a use for it.

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 01:33 AM
link   
reply to post by misterglad

I'm tempted to start one, but I just can't think of a use for it.

those were my thoughts exactly!

what in the H for?

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 01:40 AM
link   
reply to post by uninspired

haha..thats pretty good..seems like there are just as many if not more people who find the idea rather dumb and not worth while...

take that nsa super computer collage producing American mind reading political dissent and content manufacturing bastards!

we dont want to tweet and longer...

down with the tweet! man, that would probably be a good tweet...

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 01:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Jesus H Christ

I think we have established a long time ago that the Gubberment might have less than the best intentions concerning our common good.

I dont disagree with you, but I would say its more like they dont really care what the common good is.

The politicians who ram most of this crap legislation down Americas throat do it for their lobbyists and their own personal gain...complete and utter enterprise corruption...

other than that your absolutely correct...

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 02:41 AM
link   
Yes, I have conformed to the god-awful Twitter.. and I have to agree with schrodingers dog, it does have its uses. I will never stay on site for very long - i check out any interesting news, see what my friends have to say, and I'm not ashamed to say how entertained I have been reading some of those tweets.. Personally, I generally tweet things with the intention of making people laugh or anything that will make people think.. many-a-time I have posted links to thought-provoking pages on here.
I am aware that the site is most likely government founded and monitored, and facebook as well - www.facebook.com...
I really don't care about the potential consequences of 'tweeting' such information.. Perhaps I just want to make a point by doing so.

I wouldn't say possessing a Twitter account is a measure on someone's intelligence.. It's all about perception really and how you choose to utilise the thing. You could 'follow' the rest of the crowd, or choose to go slightly against the grain, like I do.
But, for sure, I can understand how people would think it's nonsensical, brain-deadening technology..

Tinman67, that vid is hilarious

[edit on 16/8/09 by pretty_vacant]

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 03:31 AM
link   
I use it to follow my wife and kids while i'm here in Iraq. It's convenient to receive and drop quick "Tweets" to my wife and kids, without typing out a long email. Other than that, i have no real use for it..

top topics

<<   2 >>

join