It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can this plane fly move like that?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 05:29 PM
link   

This plane is similar to the P-51 which I'm thinking it was based on. Time is at 7:59. Sure its long but its worth watching them all.

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 06:12 PM
link   

That looks like a sweeeet anime!

Whats the title?

I love this stuff!

Thanks for turning us on to it!

btw, heres a star for ya!

[edit on 14-8-2009 by felonius]

posted on Aug, 14 2009 @ 06:30 PM
link   
reply to post by felonius

Its called Skycrawlers at it shows the title, as least on my screen.

posted on Aug, 15 2009 @ 09:24 AM
link   
The P-51 is a single engine fighter, maybe you're thinking of the p-38 lightning which was a twin engine fighter. No prop-driven aircraft can climb vertically without stalling. nice animations though'

posted on Aug, 15 2009 @ 09:44 AM
link   
If it is more maneuverable then the P-51 then it might be possible.

The Fokker Dr.1 was so maneuverable that it could make a U turn on a dime. If the plane shown was just as maneuverable then it might be pulled off.
Werner Voss for instance did some insane maneuvering in his Dr.1. So pilot skill is also required to make a plane do seemingly impossible maneuvers.

Nice anime show btw

posted on Aug, 15 2009 @ 11:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Asktheanimals

The plane I was referring to is a single engine. The one thats spinning around like a tornado while shooting.

posted on Aug, 15 2009 @ 11:59 AM
link   
reply to post by deltaboy

I hear what you're saying...

He is in an almost flat spin like maneuver with his nose locked on target. Not sure if it's realistic given the period of the movie. Maybe he could do it with a little luck IMO.
Great vid by the way.

I'm an old anime FANatic.

posted on Aug, 15 2009 @ 12:16 PM
link   
It looks like the plane is strafing in a circle around the other aircraft while keeping its guns on the target in the middle. That would not be possible in any aircraft that uses a wing, as it would have to be able to fly sideways. Only aircraft which are not dependant on a traditional airfoil wing, such as a helicopter or VTOL would be able to strafe in a tight circle like that. A normal aircraft would lose its forward airspeed, thus losing lift, and stalling, even if it had the control surfaces to make such a turn.

At least that is my take on it.

posted on Aug, 15 2009 @ 01:26 PM
link   
reply to post by defcon5

Is it possible if the plane goes down but keeps its wings levelled horizontally and tilt a little bit at an angle to keep turning around in circles at least not that fast?

posted on Aug, 15 2009 @ 01:41 PM
link   
No thats impossible.

While in a flat spin you encounter massive wind resistance as the largest area of the craft is facing downwards. This would cause the plane to slow down a lot compared to the one that was in a nose dive.

Plus theres no way to control a plane sideways.. the rudders only help when the plane is going forwards.

but it looked awesome

[edit on 15-8-2009 by VitalOverdose]

posted on Aug, 15 2009 @ 01:49 PM
link   

A video flashback of the WWII pilot of a P-51.

Time at :20 its similar move.

Now in the anime video when the pilot looks in surprise at the "P-51" look alike and you see the relection in the cockpit, the plane is at an angle, not exactly straight horizontal.

posted on Aug, 15 2009 @ 01:58 PM
link   

With alot of luck and praying you dont rip yur wings off the fuselage maybe. But it wouldnt be abled to be repeated again thats for sure.

posted on Aug, 15 2009 @ 05:00 PM
link   

That is a slick move, but more like throwing yourself into a flat spin. He is turning the plane but still maintaining some forward velocity. In the video he mentions the same thing I said about going into a stall, even with how quick he turned, which is from losing forward thrust and lift in that split second. the one in your initial video would have to be done with some type of canard, and/or maybe vector thrust engines. I still don't think you would be able to do a complete circle around another aircraft like that. Think about the direction the engines are facing, for example. When the attacking aircraft is behind the defensive aircraft, he has to somehow accelerate while flying sideways with his engines thrust pointing 90 degrees in the wrong direction.

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 04:29 PM
link   

Yep, it looks a bit like a '51, but with a few other changes. A possible DB610 with annular radiator, and the empennage lifted from an IL2.

The other birds what were reognizeable were the canards at the beginning and throughout the clip. A Kawanishi Shinden, or a very modified P55, but, seeing as this is an anime, and therefore Japanese in origin, my money would be on the Shinden. And, I believe that the Japanese had plans to deploy Shindens aboard carriers(if they could ever build more). The bomber, on the other hand, looks like a very modified B35.

On the B35, a number of years ago, I found a web site that dealt with an altermate history of the B35/B49. Instead of the B52 being designed and built, the Flying Wing would have become part of the inventory of the Air Force and the NHavy, the B49 going to the Air Force, and the B35 going to the Navy. Among what was discussed were the paint schemes. One paint scheme that turned ouit to be not very popular was the desert pink scheme. The aircrew that flew it was too embarrassed to be seen near it during the day. The site made me think.

posted on Aug, 16 2009 @ 10:09 PM
link   

How did you find that? That about proves it's possible. Maybe not the same duration.

posted on Aug, 27 2009 @ 11:43 PM
link   
I'm not an aviation expert but I think that a move like the one at 7:59 could be possible. It looked kind of like a controlled stall, where a pilot cuts the engine and the plane moves from inertia, then starts to fall. I think maneuvers like that are possible.

But whatever, S&F for making the little kid in me smile. That was neat; what's the anime?

nevermind, got the anime name.

[edit on 27-8-2009 by Threadfall]

posted on Aug, 28 2009 @ 12:14 AM
link   
If you will take a look at the Anime, it's a slow motion portion of the action. Partial side slips were used in more highly skilled dogfights, but the nose probably was never kicked over more than about 1 to 3 degrees. This was to pull your rounds into the target using the rudder. As long as the slip is not too great, the plane remains stable and will snap back to forward flight once the rudder offset is removed.

In the Anime, the range seems far to short for this to be possible as presented.

posted on Aug, 28 2009 @ 09:29 AM
link   
In both of two video I didn't see anything new.
P-51 did has coaxial-blade conversely-rotate propaller version, and post-stall maneuver was not new thing which has been done by numbers of competition aeroplane in public air show many times.

top topics

join