It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Kids Talking Verbally Using Text Lingo?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 12 2009 @ 10:46 PM
link   
reply to post by PsykoOps

I wholeheartedly agree with you. I just don't see the connection. And hey if saying W.T.F saves time and you manage to convey your message then I don't see the problem. We of the new generation are all about getting things done in a timely manner because we have things to attend to, so omgee ya know w/e lol. No big. Kthnxbai

[edit on 12-8-2009 by serenesupreme]

posted on Aug, 12 2009 @ 10:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by N3krostatic
It's like "so we are not capable of using the English language anymore?"

Our language gets slaughtered in so many ways I really think it's ridiculous.

I guess I should have quoted this.

My bad, sheesh.

posted on Aug, 12 2009 @ 11:39 PM
link   
If you look at how english language was in the past you'd think what is considered normal grammar these days would be 'slaughtering'. That's how language evolves. I'm sure there are studies about this somewhere in the interwebs

posted on Aug, 13 2009 @ 12:10 AM
link   
Only one of the two do it, the other copies the other, find out which one is the source and punch them in the face, nobody I know says lol out loud only an idiot would do that, but there are tons of idiots, anyway people are using more and more txt acronyms verbally, it will eventually cause people to forget the original word and form a new vocabulary for future idiots no doubt.

posted on Aug, 13 2009 @ 12:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by Greenize
My son and his future wife are home from college for the summer and I have noticed they verbally communicate using text lingo! I say something witty and rather than laugh they both say LOL. . . . See or hear something strange on tv or during a conversation and they say W. T. F or W. T. H.... There are more, but these seem to be the most common. It cracks me up and I was wondering if any of you have noticed the youth around you doing this. I have asked them why as it makes no sense to me and I find it comical and they can't seem to explain why they do it. Is this wide spread? Why not just laugh rather than say LOL? Are we getting that lazy?

I'm sorry if this sounds mean but if your kid/s are saying that at that age they need to realize it sounds stupid and they should grow up. We all talk in slang but that is ignorant .....makes no sense to spell out letters from a 3 word phrase when you can just naturally laugh like intended.....

I would make fun of my friends for that...as would anybody else.....

I'm not trying to be mean but what you describe is one of my pet peeves ......

posted on Aug, 13 2009 @ 12:38 AM
link   
Me (42) and my brother (30) send short text messages back and forth all the time and we do not use the text shorthand even when texting. But that is just us.

posted on Aug, 13 2009 @ 12:55 AM
link   
i think they are just copying things that they see in the movies and tv;

i have heard people saying lols or lawls (like lollipop) instead of L.O.L tho;
they dont know what it stands for and thinks its a word for calling something funny

[edit on 13-8-2009 by DjSharperimage]

posted on Aug, 13 2009 @ 01:29 AM
link   
Hmmm...I'm in my early twenties and have never heard ANYONE use text-driven language verbally. I sometimes say things like f- my life and others of that sort, but never 'o.m.g.' Or 'lawl' or anything of that nature.

Honestly, if I was having a delightful dinner with a nice female prospect and she said that, I'd stand up and leave. I'd leave her the bill too...cause she'd deserve it...

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

top topics

<< 1   >>

join