It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Kids Talking Verbally Using Text Lingo?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 12 2009 @ 08:40 PM
link   
My son and his future wife are home from college for the summer and I have noticed they verbally communicate using text lingo! I say something witty and rather than laugh they both say LOL. . . . See or hear something strange on tv or during a conversation and they say W. T. F or W. T. H.... There are more, but these seem to be the most common. It cracks me up and I was wondering if any of you have noticed the youth around you doing this. I have asked them why as it makes no sense to me and I find it comical and they can't seem to explain why they do it. Is this wide spread? Why not just laugh rather than say LOL? Are we getting that lazy?

posted on Aug, 12 2009 @ 08:54 PM
link   
Anonymous does things for "lulz".

That's basically reading "lol".

lulz.

posted on Aug, 12 2009 @ 08:56 PM
link   
Yes this is common amongst the youth. I've had a bunch of youngsters at work using the abbreviations.

posted on Aug, 12 2009 @ 08:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Greenize

Gosh. I am young and don't speak like that. Imagine being at a comedy show and everyone says "LOL" rather than laugh. What a world were coming to

(edited typos)

[edit on 12-8-2009 by Scooby Doo]

posted on Aug, 12 2009 @ 08:59 PM
link   
I had recently dated a 31 years old who had said "OMG" & "LOL"

annoying really...

Its just not teenage kids

posted on Aug, 12 2009 @ 09:03 PM
link   
reply to post by TrainDispatcher

I can see where that would be annoying coming from someone that age!

posted on Aug, 12 2009 @ 09:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Greenize
reply to post by TrainDispatcher

I can see where that would be annoying coming from someone that age!

Or any age for that matter!

2nd

posted on Aug, 12 2009 @ 09:12 PM
link   
I absolutely despise the use of "text speak" in any format, including texts. We have a great system of sentence structure and punctuation to convey all emotions through our written communiques. Ok, I understand the fact that only so many characters are allowed in MMS hence the spawning of this abhoration, but verbal and email? It amazes me how many people use poor grammar and punctuation, as if it doesn't matter. It does.

I hate lol. Lol to me is like the written form of a microwave. It's not as good as an oven, the food tastes worse, but it's easy and quick.

Laziness in my book...

God, I'm getting old, I sound just like my father...!

posted on Aug, 12 2009 @ 09:14 PM
link   
What I would be laughing if someone talked to me like that. I am 30 and I havent heard anyone my age doing this. I am not around the younger group but it honestly doesnt surprise me. Things the youth do these days amazes me.

posted on Aug, 12 2009 @ 09:16 PM
link   
I often find myself saying "lawl" or "ohemgee" when my husband tells me about something he's reading online, and it's most often a sort of sarcasm, like imitating the common online reaction.

Guess I am a young'n though (mid-twenties) and spend far too much time online. So does my husband though, so he understands my sensationalized and sarcastic reactions.

I wouldn't do that in the presence of the uninitiated however.

posted on Aug, 12 2009 @ 09:17 PM
link   
I haven't heard anyone speaking like that so far , and I don't really want to either , it would sound a bit stupid

However I have caught myself almost saying "lol" out loud , at something that was almost funny .
I put it down to spending to much time on the net , its funny though , cos most of the time people say "lol" online , they never really laughing out loud , just a way of showing it was kind of funny ,

[edit on 12-8-2009 by Takka]

[edit on 12-8-2009 by Takka]

posted on Aug, 12 2009 @ 09:28 PM
link   
I'm a parent that is about to become over the hill. My child is a preteen. However, despite my age, I use quaint colloquialisms such as O RLY?, WAI, PWN, PWNAGE, UBER, 1337, 411, d00d, ID10-T, h4x0r, SUXXOR, BALLZ, LOL, OMFG, WTF, WTH, ATM, FTW, WUU2, WRU,

posted on Aug, 12 2009 @ 09:41 PM
link   
My kids brought a poster home that has all those things on it. It's funny that we used those chatting online a long time ago. Anyway, we had the funnest time making up other things and using letter for them. It was a good time. To me, it doesn't really matter if it feels kinda silly when you're doing it. If you have fun with your kids, that's a good thing. As long as you know what everything means in case the need arises, everything's cool.

posted on Aug, 12 2009 @ 09:43 PM
link   
I know a lot of older people who say "That's funny" when they hear a joke instead of just actually laughing. I have never heard the text speak though.

posted on Aug, 12 2009 @ 09:48 PM
link   
I only talk text lingo in a mocking manner
and it is usually around my lesser-minded friends, which is all of them when I really think about it.

I lose a part of myself whenever I hear them seriously say "O-M-G" or "like LAWL." Alright, I made up the last one, but doesn't it sound like something that could be true?

That is why I love ATS so much, although most of its inhabitants disagree with my morals and beliefs. I get to show the extent of my intellect without having to translate into a 'text lingo.'

[edit on 12-8-2009 by Bushido Kanji]

posted on Aug, 12 2009 @ 09:52 PM
link   
I'm a teenager, but I don't speak, or say anything in text lingo. I sometimes do say the meaning though. Like what the f***.

I can tell you though, I know a lot of people who do it. It gets really annoying.

posted on Aug, 12 2009 @ 10:00 PM
link   
I'm soon 32 and I use text lingo sometimes for the humor effect. Of course you have to know that the person you're talking to will understand. lol

posted on Aug, 12 2009 @ 10:23 PM
link   
Yeah my younger sister says "omg" and it drives me absolutely insane. I try to figure out why the intelligent accepted vocabulary won't suffice but I am at a loss. They sound like robots to me when they talk like that. It's like "so we are not capable of using the English language anymore?"

Our language gets slaughtered in so many ways I really think it's ridiculous.
Every time she says "omg" I say what was that? and keep saying it until she stops or says something less media driven and computer driven.

I also had a friend that said "wtf" and "stfu" all the time but he came back to us in the world of words.

[edit on 12-8-2009 by N3krostatic]

posted on Aug, 12 2009 @ 10:29 PM
link   
reply to post by N3krostatic

I blame the Hip-Hop industry (also rap, R&B, and anything that has come out of any wannabe rockstar from the past decade).

Like LAWL mah bros and nizzlez! WTF! FTW! FML! Lolz, lawl, lol, rofl! roflol! roflmao! roflmao! roflmfao!

I think I made my point. How many lost a few IQ points from reading this?

posted on Aug, 12 2009 @ 10:34 PM
link   
I for one never heard a rap song with text lingo. Are you sure? Besides how does it reduce your IQ? I'd think that the simplification of language would increase it.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join