It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

6.7 mag quake in Japan

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 12 2009 @ 08:42 PM
link   
reply to post by HotDogNoBun

Oh lordy. Nothing personal, I am leaving HAARP out of this. We have conspiracy city here at ATS, but it seems the fragile earth forum is usually exempt from this. Can't we have just one forum where we go by the facts please? lol. Ehem *cough* ok....

But here's why this thing pegged my GEE meters so far:

60 km (40 miles) ESE of Hachijo-jima, Izu Islands, Japan

That station in GEE, JP.JHJ2 is indeed located right on that island, and thus is about 40 miles away from the epicenter. I estimated within 50. When these things happen in GEE, the first thing I do after the USGS updates is go to their google map and look at the exact location, compare it to the GEE map, and then estimate a distance from station to epicenter.

I posted the screenshot in the GEE screenshots thread here:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

If the station had been several hundred miles away and registered 6+ mm/sec like that, we probably would have been looking at a 7.5 or greater. This is why it is difficult to determine magnitude or epicenter from GEE alone. I know about using the difference between the P wave and S wave to to determine distance to epicenter, but it is most often difficult to see that relationship in GEE. Especially when the quake is that close to the station like this one, and the two types of waves are arriving at nearly the same time because of the short distance.

[edit on Wed Aug 12th 2009 by TrueAmerican]

<< 1   >>

join