It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

6.7 mag quake in Japan

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 12 2009 @ 05:53 PM
link   
This looks big, pushing 6+ millimeters per second in GEE. Wow. Pray. That is big, big, unless it was directly on top of the station....Sceenshot to follow... Waiting for USGS report...

This could be tsunami material...

earthquake.usgs.gov...

Screenie will be posted in the GEE screenshots thread.

[edit on Wed Aug 12th 2009 by TrueAmerican]

posted on Aug, 12 2009 @ 05:58 PM
link   
Nothing on USGS or EMSC, at least not yet...

posted on Aug, 12 2009 @ 06:00 PM
link   
Magnitude 6.6 (Preliminary magnitude — update expected within 15 minutes)
Date-Time Wednesday, August 12, 2009 at 22:48:58 UTC
Thursday, August 13, 2009 at 07:48:58 AM at epicenter

Location 32.850°N, 140.470°E
Depth 122 km (75.8 miles) set by location program
Region IZU ISLANDS, JAPAN REGION
Distances 68 km (42 miles) ESE (112°) from Hachijo-jima, Izu Islands, Japan
305 km (189 miles) SE (141°) from Shizuoka, Honshu, Japan
320 km (199 miles) SSE (168°) from TOKYO, Japan

Location Uncertainty Error estimate not available
Parameters NST=011, Nph=011, Dmin=0 km, Rmss=0.94 sec, Gp= 76°,
M-type="moment" magnitude from initial P wave (tsuboi method) (Mi/Mwp), Version=A
Source NOAA Pacific Tsunami Warning Center

Event ID pt09224002

posted on Aug, 12 2009 @ 06:01 PM
link   
I'm in the USA but this is very weird. I haven't been giving much attention to Earthquakes. Atleast not more than any other subject yet I had a very VIVID dream of being in a building and experience a very severe Earthquake. Preminition? Very weird. How come the USA is always so lucky when it comes to Earthquakes? Makes you go hmmmmmmmmmmmm.

posted on Aug, 12 2009 @ 06:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zosynspiracy

How come the USA is always so lucky when it comes to Earthquakes?

Remember 1811? New Madrid. It will happen again some day. But if a similar quake should strike there today, it will be the worst earthquake disaster ever.

posted on Aug, 12 2009 @ 06:09 PM
link   
GEEsus, what is going on here... Seems like the world is lighting up at once here. I got San Andreas Fault, LWKY at Yellowstone, Alaska quakes, all right now in GEE...WTF.

posted on Aug, 12 2009 @ 06:12 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 12 2009 @ 06:14 PM
link   
Yep, you're right TA

I just got a Tsunami Warning bulletin at work (bureau of met is the aussie department responsiblefor tsunami warnings). There's no threat to the Australian Mainland at least

Apparently in was of magnitude 6.6, with the epicentre just south of Honshu

posted on Aug, 12 2009 @ 06:15 PM
link   

For updated map, click here...

posted on Aug, 12 2009 @ 06:20 PM
link   
pretty freaky stuff. thank you guys for being on top of this. please keep up the good work. I will check back for updates. hope everyone is ok...

Love and Light, Ronco

posted on Aug, 12 2009 @ 06:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by TrueAmerican
GEEsus, what is going on here... Seems like the world is lighting up at once here. I got San Andreas Fault, LWKY at Yellowstone, Alaska quakes, all right now in GEE...WTF.

It seems like anything 6.5+ makes helicorders go nuts around the world. If you haven't gotten past the beginning of the U.S. traces in GEE, you can probably even see the P and S waves from the Japan quake.
Sometimes it takes a full 20-30 minutes for them to calm down again...sensitive equipment indeed.

posted on Aug, 12 2009 @ 06:21 PM
link   
firefox equake alert tells me it was 6.7 in the izu islands...is this the one we are talking about? i thought 6.7 was small?

posted on Aug, 12 2009 @ 06:25 PM
link   
reply to post by lernmore

Yeah believe me, I know what the s-waves look like. It's just everything seemed to happen at once there. I swear that freaked me out. I thought maybe this was it...The magnetic pole shift. I think we're ok though, but every time one of these big ones happen, I can't help but think of places like Yellowstone and the additional stress it can cause on critical breaking points. Keep fingers crossed everyone.

Originally posted by Solomons
firefox equake alert tells me it was 6.7 in the izu islands...is this the one we are talking about? i thought 6.7 was small?

Yes, and 6.7 is by no means small. That is very powerful.

As to why that thing pegged the GEE meters so hard, yes, it was very close to the station, as I suggested in the OP. Thank GOD.

posted on Aug, 12 2009 @ 06:28 PM
link   

To: U.S. West Coast, Alaska, and British Columbia coastal regions
From: NOAA/NWS/West Coast and Alaska Tsunami Warning Center
Subject: Tsunami Information Statement #1 issued 08/12/2009 at 4:02PM PDT

A strong earthquake has occurred, but a tsunami IS NOT expected along the California, Oregon, Washington, British Columbia, or Alaska coast. NO tsunami warning, watch or advisory is in effect for these areas.

Based on the earthquake magnitude and historic tsunami records, a damaging tsunami IS NOT expected along the California, Oregon, Washington, British Columbia, and Alaska coasts. At coastal locations which have experienced strong ground shaking, local tsunamis are possible due to underwater landslides.

At 3:49 PM Pacific Daylight Time on August 12, an earthquake with preliminary magnitude 6.5 occurred south of Honshu, Japan. (Refer to the United States Geological Survey for official earthquake parameters.)

The Pacific Tsunami Warning Center in Ewa Beach, Hawaii will issue messages for Hawaii and other areas of the Pacific outside California, Oregon, Washington, British Columbia, and Alaska.

This will be the only statement issued for this event by the West Coast/Alaska Tsunami Warning Center unless conditions warrant. See the WCATWC web site for basic tsunami information, safety rules, and a tsunami travel time map and table. (NOTE: Travel time maps and tables indicate forecasted times only, not that a wave was generated.)

Source.

posted on Aug, 12 2009 @ 06:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Solomons

A 6.7 size quake is not very small, but for us in Southern California and regions more adapted to earthquakes, it is typically not catastrophic.

In rural regions and poverty stricken towns the results can be horrendous, due to the building styles typically employed.

An average new house in a place like California should be able to withstand a 6.7 fairly easily.

A mud/brick house in a village does not really stand chance.

posted on Aug, 12 2009 @ 06:32 PM
link   
Good post. I remember when I was in fifth or sixth grade and lived on Okinawa there was an earthquake while I was out in the yard playing tether ball with my brother. I felt nauseous and saw the ground moving like an ocean wave. It was awesome and frightening. Being outside and away from any buildings we were not in any danger though.

posted on Aug, 12 2009 @ 06:33 PM
link   
I know that we now all have access to software that tells us when, where and how big an earthquake hits (mine's called e-quake alert, add on to firefox). However, I don't think that this means that earthquakes are happening more frequently, or at a greater magnitude that previously.

a 6.7 mag quake is not really that large they happen at that mag at least a few times a month. The quake in Indonesia in 2004 that initiated the boxing day tsunami was 9.3 mag.

My firefox add on does not even tell me when a mag >5 hits, that's how frequently they hit.

is there greater tectonic activity recently? Maybe though not certainly.

Is a 6.7 mag quake cause for alarm? maybe though not certainly

In my humble opinion, we should all NOT cool our heals waiting for the big one to hit. One day it will, maybe tomorrow, maybe in 150 years. You'll know.

I don't mean to sound insensitive, I feel for the people who are endangered by each and every quake, tremor or tremblor no matter how large. However, it does noone any good to dwell on what might happen tomorrow, or what might happen after the 6.7 mag quake from earlier today.

I say, lets all focus our thoughts on a world with no earthquakes....mmm quakefree terra. Delicious.

posted on Aug, 12 2009 @ 06:51 PM
link   
Here is a web cam link of the coast of Japan if anyone is interested in checking it out. There are people on the beach but no signs of tsunami
www.town.yugawara.kanagawa.jp...
Hope nothing happens.

here is another
www.grandhotel-isoya.co.jp...

And one in Tokyo
tokyosky.to...

[edit on 12-8-2009 by ANTHONY33]

posted on Aug, 12 2009 @ 07:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by groingrinder
Good post. I remember when I was in fifth or sixth grade and lived on Okinawa there was an earthquake while I was out in the yard playing tether ball with my brother. I felt nauseous and saw the ground moving like an ocean wave. It was awesome and frightening. Being outside and away from any buildings we were not in any danger though.

I saw the exact same thing in Costa Rica once when I was in a quake less than a 4.0. But I was close to the epicenter, and yes I know exactly what you mean about the earth moving just like an ocean wave. It really does move like that, and you can literally see the "earth" waves coming at you, much like dropping a pebble in a pond. Pretty scary to witness.

posted on Aug, 12 2009 @ 07:36 PM
link   
reply to post by TrueAmerican

It appears that we have aimed the HAARP waves at Japan. How convenient. We need more manufacturing jobs and own two car companies. Could this be an act of sabotage?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join