It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Communities Print Own Money To Beat Recession...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 12 2009 @ 05:24 PM
link   

Communities Print Own Money To Beat Recession...

www.latimes.com

Local currencies cash in on recession.

The local bills in the town of Pittsboro, N.C. are known as the Plenty. 15,000 Plenties are in circulation.

Communities in North Carolina, Massachusetts, Arizona and elsewhere print their own money to encourage shoppers to patronize local businesses. Local money was last popular during the Great Depression.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 12 2009 @ 05:24 PM
link   
Last popularized during the Great Depression, scrip, or locally created stand-ins for U.S. currency, is making a comeback. Pittsboro, population 2,500, is one of a handful of communities that launched its own money in recent months. It reports an avalanche of calls from other communities that have lost faith in the global financial system.

I think this is an excellent idea, and should be adopted the world over.

www.latimes.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 12 2009 @ 05:57 PM
link   
Great find my friend
I had never known about the scrip before. Definatley a little light in thesee bad times S&F

posted on Aug, 12 2009 @ 06:12 PM
link   
Anyone with a halfassed laser printer is rich.

What a stupid idea.

posted on Aug, 12 2009 @ 06:14 PM
link   
I'm not bashing the idea, because I feel that it is a good idea, but maybe we should have changed the name of the US Dollar to the "plenty" because they are printing "plenty" of them.

What ya think?

posted on Aug, 12 2009 @ 06:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by whaaa

What a stupid idea.

Right! ...and do you know what the enterprise called Federal Reserve does for a living?

Peace

edit: grammar... not my best side

[edit on 12-8-2009 by Sator]

posted on Aug, 12 2009 @ 06:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by whaaa

What a stupid idea.

No no, they would have to be printed and endorsed by the community. This isn't monopoly money.

posted on Aug, 12 2009 @ 06:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hastobemoretolife
I'm not bashing the idea, because I feel that it is a good idea, but maybe we should have changed the name of the US Dollar to the "plenty" because they are printing "plenty" of them.

What ya think?

The community is printing their own money because there aren't enough dollars....not visa versa. This is a sign that inflation fears are overblown, I know that sounds odd to some, but the money supply that isn't in the bank vaults is smaller than it was in 2007.

posted on Aug, 12 2009 @ 06:46 PM
link   
I'm not getting it.

What do you print out something that looks like money but it really isnt?
What do you mean endorsed by the community?
How do you print phoney money and not get arrested????

posted on Aug, 12 2009 @ 06:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by dgtempe
I'm not getting it.

There used to be various currencies across the nation, until we were united under the dollar, it's not at all uncommon. Disney has had it's own currency for decades, "Disney Dollars." It's not a phoney currency, since it's backed by the local government.

posted on Aug, 12 2009 @ 06:51 PM
link   

I'm not getting it.

What's not to get?

If people call worthless paper "money" and decide it's worth something then it is.

Exactly like the worthless paper in my wallet now.

As to the legality. That's a complicated subject. It may or may not be legal. But personally being a rational anarchist I could care less if it's legal.

Vas

posted on Aug, 12 2009 @ 06:55 PM
link   
Ahh,

then money's no object- just drop into the nearest store and hand them a blank piece of paper and say see ya later...Or should i first explain this is what i now use for money, so deal with it???

Not getting it.

posted on Aug, 12 2009 @ 06:59 PM
link   

Ahh,

then money's no object- just drop into the nearest store and hand them a blank piece of paper and say see ya later...Or should i first explain this is what i now use for money, so deal with it???

Not getting it.

If the person in the store considers blank paper "money" then yep you got it!

Green paper has no value. We say it has value and *abbracadabra*, now its money.

That is the nature of money. It's worth what we believe it's worth.

You do know that the US dollar is NOT backed by anything right?

Vas

posted on Aug, 12 2009 @ 07:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Neo-V™

Of course, Pittsboro wasn't the first to print their own money -

Norton I, Emperor of California

HIS name was Josiah Norton. When he came on the street after the financial clean-up no one could have been more serene, gracious and debonair. But about some very important matters his mind was a total blank and otherwise badly twisted. For one thing, he imagined himself the all-puissant ruler of the Pacific Coast. He scorned the imputation that he had ever been a merchant. What! He, Norton the First, Emperor of California and Protector of Mexico, degrade his order by mixing in the vulgar trade! He implored his faithful subjects not to connect him with such unworthy thoughts. And Emperor Norton I he remained until the unwelcome visitor, who spares no potentate, ended his long reign — 1851 to 1879.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/bd9bbadbce02.jpg[/atsimg]
IN our time Emperor Norton would be locked up in a madhouse and the incident closed. But the old town, with all of its failings, had a fundamental goodness of heart, and, what was more to the point, an acute sense of humor, whereby the pleasure of existence is much enhanced. When the peculiar nature of Josiah Norton's affliction, or, rather, hallucination, became know to his numerous acquaintances they realized that the man was entirely harmless, both to himself and others, and they simply let nature take its course. But, in one way or another, provision was made for his support, which was well repaid. For instead of wearing himself out behind iron bars Emperor Norton became a part of San Francisco, a never-ending source of pleasantry and amusement—better known throughout the world than many of the genuine crowned heads.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/473294982f2d.jpg[/atsimg]
As a mater of fact, His Majesty, was not without resources. Besides promenading Montgomery street of an afternoon, issuing printed proclamations concerning affairs of state and entering into elaborate correspondence with the crowned heads of Europe, Emperor Norton issued paper currency of his own, which was always honored in certain quarters. The imperial obligations were always in [t]he sum of five dollars, and it was somewhat noteworthy that he never presented more than one of these at a time to his "treasurer" in the financial district; and as these were very numerous in the old days he derived a tidy income without imposing serious burdens on anyone. In fact, he said it was the imperial pleasure to make taxation light. Therefore, there was no need to conjure up an imaginary guarantor of his tailor bills. He lived in good quarters, had three square meals a day and met his various small accounts with unfailing regularity.

Source : sfGenealogy.com

And certainly they won't be the last !

posted on Aug, 12 2009 @ 07:22 PM
link   
Wow. Nice idea, though I'm sure the IRS will feel differently.

If it's accepted, it's currency. Just ask the people in California that are stuck holding a bunch of IOU's. The only difference here is that the people who printed the currency for citizens around town accept them as a form of currency.

California won't accept their own IOU's back.

Now that speaks volumes.

top topics

join