It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Multiple Sclerosis Successfully Reversed In Mice- Possibilities for Crohn's, Lupus and Arthritis

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 12 2009 @ 01:55 PM
link   
I know it's very early days, and it's only worked in mice, but it's still got great potential and should be brought to everyones attention.

Multiple Sclerosis Successfully Reversed In Mice: New Immune-suppressing Treatment Forces The Disease Into Remission

ScienceDaily (Aug. 12, 2009) — A new experimental treatment for multiple sclerosis (MS) completely reverses the devastating autoimmune disorder in mice, and might work exactly the same way in humans, say researchers at the Jewish General Hospital Lady Davis Institute for Medical Research and McGill University in Montreal.

Completely reverses, very impressive.

MS is an autoimmune disease in which the body's own immune response attacks the central nervous system, almost as if the body had become allergic to itself, leading to progressive physical and cognitive disability.

The new treatment, appropriately named GIFT15, puts MS into remission by suppressing the immune response. This means it might also be effective against other autoimmune disorders like Crohn's disease, lupus and arthritis, the researchers said, and could theoretically also control immune responses in organ transplant patients. Moreover, unlike earlier immune-supppressing therapies which rely on chemical pharamaceuticals, this approach is a personalized form of cellular therapy which utilizes the body's own cells to suppress immunity in a much more targeted way.

I recommend reading the entire article, as I said, early days, but still, any treatment with the potential to help people with debilitating and painful diseases is quite exciting.

[edit on 12-8-2009 by kiwifoot]

posted on Aug, 12 2009 @ 01:57 PM
link   
reply to post by kiwifoot

This is great news, I have Crohns disease and if the results look promising, that is awesome news...lol... Hopefully, future tests work out as well and maybe it will be successful in the removal of all these terrible diseases. Would be amazing
Good find Kiwi.

posted on Aug, 12 2009 @ 02:11 PM
link   
great news
a parent of mine has crohns so its cool to see something to potentially help cure it in the future.

posted on Aug, 12 2009 @ 02:12 PM
link   

My mother has MS and might be interested in early human trials. Any word on if and when such trials might be administered.

posted on Aug, 12 2009 @ 02:18 PM
link   
To TheMythLives/james420, well I hope they do come up with something for you both. Fingers crossed.

And to Jeffesq and everyone:

MS must be caught in its earliest stages, Galipeau cautioned, and clinical studies are needed to test the treatment's efficacy and safety in humans. No significant side-effects showed up in the mice, he said, and the treatment was fully effective with a single dose.

So no side effects, and a single dose, imagine giving a couple for good measure.

Wonder when Human trials could begin?

Will have to keep a look out.

posted on Aug, 12 2009 @ 02:38 PM
link   
Have watched my mother suffer from Crohn's for the past 10 years. What a horrible disease!

Hope this works out. Lot's of good people out there who need something like this.

[edit on 12-8-2009 by Lerxst]

posted on Oct, 13 2012 @ 03:04 AM
link   

soooooooooooooo what happened? this thread is 2 years old and everyone is saying they hope this will work out and cant wait, soooo what happened? lol

did it work out? did it fail to receive financing? (not surprising if so)

they never sell cures, only treatments,

i came upon this thread researching lupus for a friend whom i recently found out has it, trying to figure out what she can do about it, this drug on that article sounds perfect in that it stops the B cells from doing the deeds they do to cause the lupus symptoms, would be nice to get some follow up on if this drug is now on the market or dead in the water
edit on 10/13/12 by pryingopen3rdeye because: (no reason given)

top topics

join