It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

survial readiness tips for us poor folk

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 01:20 AM
link   
Besides duct tape an a razor blade. One of the best general purpose items that I carry always is "paracord" aka parashute cord. I bought a cpl hundred feet online for about 6 dollars.
The black I used to wrap my knife grips with. And my Belt. I wear a belt that has about 40ft of paracord..this stuff has a tensile strength of 550 lbs and is only 1/8" thick.
The belt trick is to poke holes in the belt ..staggered like a shoe and wrap the paracord around the outer layer of the belt until you reach a hole..then through the hole and around again...You end up with a decent belt and a great survival tool.

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 01:24 AM
link   
reply to post by awakentired

By learning how to survive with what nature provides, one is preparing. By doing this, you prepare to live without anything on hand and turn seemingly nothing into everything you need. The sheep is in buying into all this survival garbage that we need name brand water filters, or mountain house freeze dried foods, or silica pouched and sealed foods.

You don't need that stuff. You have everything already right outside your door. I say let everyone else fight in the soup lines, let them kill each other off. I'll sit back and smile knowing I won't go hungry, thirsty, or cold. I don't mean to get defensive, but I just don't see where the don't be a sheep comes into play with what I've posted. Enlighten me.

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 01:26 AM
link   
reply to post by incogniteus

Regards bud,

I would have to travel 200 miles to get pine needles. Point is use technology when necessary..ie vitamins and i'd suggest even learning homeopathic remedies, accupressure and any kind of juju that will set a person on a path of safety...even if it is only in his or her own mind.

The mind is the power that is being contested in this age. Who owns it? The individual or the corporate powers that spread logos like butter in the subconcious of the masses

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 01:27 AM
link   

And that six bucks could've been used to pick up a book on cord making, then you'd have an limitless supply of rope available to you. It may not be as strong, but it's a skill you don't have because you decided to rush out and buy 550LB paracord instead. Hope it doesn't get stolen when tshtf.

[EDIT]

I'm sorry. I don't mean to get rude or argumentative. It's just that I can't stress enough how important it is for people to learn how to do things what we today would consider the "hard way". Mankind has survived thousands of years without name brand water filters, without paracord, and without canned goods chock full of fortified goodies.

We only need the skills our ancestors have used for thousands of years, that is real preparedness. We evolved on this planet without technology, we lived without technology, there should be no reason to rely on technology. Your brain is the only tool to your survival. Use it wisely.

[edit on 20-8-2009 by sirnex]

[edit on 20-8-2009 by sirnex]

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 01:36 AM
link   
reply to post by sirnex

I am truly sorry if i offended you. The sheep comments belong to people ignorantly going along with the guy next door that is being told to evacuate and move on down the line.

Water purification is a necesary knowledge..boiling, sun powered evaporation purifiers, chlorine .whatever works and whatever you have handy.
Food / shelter is next. I did my course in survival in the USMC. While in the Phillapines. Bugs suck, but you can survive on them.
Given the chance i'd prefer to have extra coffee and rice / beans stored for use in bad times.
Let the hero eat bugs. I'll be happy with my beans farting around the campfire.

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 01:42 AM
link   
I was a single mom during the whole Y2K event or should I say non-event. I tried to only buy things that I could use anyway, like soup, crackers, paper plates, batteries, water, candles, lighters, charcoal, and big bags of rice. Also purchased Tylenol, vitamins, and other over the counter medicines. Money was really tight, so I had to be careful not to buy too much extra stuff, but I did try to pick up extra things at the dollar store and the grocery store whenever I could.

Also, the suggestions about knowledge being the best defense are correct, if you are trained in survival (even a little bit) and you know how to be creative, you will do alright.

When Y2K turned out to be nothing, I did not have to shop for a while, and it was kind of nice, because I had extra money and I think I still have some of the batteries in the fridge, and yes they still work.

Good Luck with your plans.

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 01:46 AM
link   

I made an edit to my last post...

Thank you for the clarification.

I actually don't mind bugs that much. Crickets and grasshoppers aren't all that bad really. You can also make a decent full bodied coffee substitute with dandelion roots. Might not have the same caffeine buzz, but it's a heck of a lot better for you considering. There are plenty of tastier and healthier wild edibles everywhere in every locale, better for you than a stock of rice and beans. I would imagine it would be in one's self interest and preservation to learn about them than rely on a few basic staples that contain little nutrition. Doesn't the military teach about certain wild edible in it's survival course?

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 02:03 AM
link   
yea it all differs region to region..Like the guys in Afganastan are basically screwed. few cactus even grow there.

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 02:04 AM
link   
As sirnex said, and for me the most important thing is building a shelter and survival training. What good to have BoB and in a limit situation can't use it properly.

As for me, to be mentally prepared to deal with TSHTF situation is also important.
Be prepared to experience fear, anger, anxiety, guilt, depression, etc.

Navigation is a good point, learn howto use nature as a navigation device.

Start learning how to make knots, how to make a boat, and also important basic toolmaking.
And...train, train, train...

My 2 cents...

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 02:17 AM
link   
your point of preparing to have emotions is rarely discussed and yet so very appropiate.

I have a number of weapons and have placed several secure firing positions around the cpl acres that I own.
In talking to the wife a few days ago I had to admit that I couldnt fire upon Marines coming on orders to take whatever... I just can't do it.

My grandfather served 30years, dad 6 years ..me 8 years. I've been raised green and probably would bleed camo. To fire on another marine doing his "perceived" duty. Nope i'm headed for the camps. If their NATO, then they better off passing my street. I can't say that I'll take the platoon. Or I wont say that I'll take the platoon. They would be better off not meeting me.

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 02:20 AM
link   
reply to post by amaranth

Hi amaranth,
ever wonder if the y2k was a dress rehearsal for this mess? Or was it a contrived event to get people to think that oh this doom stuff again...so as to catch more unprepared regardless of warning signs?

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 03:50 AM
link   

Awakentired,

That is a very interesting thought and maybe Y2K was some sort of test to see how people reacted or did not react. Or maybe it was to see how much people would spend on supplies like dehydrated food and other stuff. Y2K was very profitable for many companies.

Overheard some people comparing this to Y2K, they were kind of mocking people who were preparing, but one day the people who are ready and educated in survival may have the last laugh.

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 04:59 AM
link   
reply to post by calstorm

The deal with the nickels is from survival blog.

It is because if things get better you can just turn them in for paper,
or if things get worse the metal is actually worth more than 5 cents
as things stand right now.

So it is a good hedge against hyperinflation which looks likely.

Hyperinflation has been used to impoverish several nations and
basically turn them into 3rd world ghetto slave states.

Hyperinfaltion nation

That is part of the plan for the US.

As for a good bug out bag I'd say focus on ways to catch food,
grow food, and knowledge.

A pocket sized SAS survival handbook for $8 or less.

Some tough ziplock bags, a few ways to start a fire, though cold
camp may be best if you wish to go undetected.

In that case use a solar oven made from aluminum foil.

Stainless steel camping cup and cooking gear from camping place
is a good idea.

A Stainless steel multi tool like a gerber, leatherman, or other,
with a can opener on it.

A good backpack with lots of pockets and plenty of storage.

Some way to sleep, I have two a net hammock off amazon
and a sleeping bag rolled up.

A 8' x 12' tarp to keep the rain off you.

A few hundred feet of true 550 lb. type III paracord, do your best
to cut it as little as possible once you get it down to 25 foot lengths.

Some stainless steel snare wire, or galvanized steel wire 28 ga. approx.

A fishing kit in a small container, hooks, line, few boobers, or you can
do the jug fishing method that seems to work well.

Crank combo flashlight AM/FM radio cell phone charger.

While technology works, use it to keep informed unless you think
they might use it to triangulate your location, then pull the battery
out of that cell phone.

Water proof insulated boots, wool socks, wool blanket.

Wool keeps you warm even if wet, its an itchy mother, but it works.

Folding hand saw, hatchets and axes tend to take more energy.

If you can find a wire saw that holds up to a folding lock blade
performance wise go for it.

Firesteel, maybe a cpl of them, a magnifying glass will start fire too,
dryer lint makes great tinder.

Strong binoculars that are compact and maybe fold up to smaller size.

Cache some food near your bug out location, maybe bury it or hide
it VERY VERY well, something cheap like rice and beans.

Laminated visual guides to what plants are edible and medicinal,
though some are in SAS pocket guide.

A knife sharpener, check out The Puck, or the rod types.

A full tang fixed blade knife that fits well in your hand.

A Ruger 10/22 with two 25 round banana clips and a few bricks
of ammo in your pack, it is the lightest things to carry out and
a 10/22 is a tack driver out of the box and it is semi-cheap.

If you can shoot and can afford a .30 caliber boat tail type
rifle I'd say that is the best one to get.

If you can afford it get a stainless steel one so it won't rust.

Texsport folding shovel, pick, saw.

Snake-Poison kit syringe style.

Non-GMO seeds packs, open pollinated or heirloom.

Consider Giant Golden Amaranth, it is a complete plant protein,
and it is even resistant to Monsanto's roundup.

A supply of meds you may require, and an herbal remedy you can use
in replacement if possible.

Cleaning kit for the 10/22.

Heavy Mil thickness Trashbags, make good rain ponchos, and
can fill with sun dried leaves to act as insulation.

2 extra pair of clothes.

Some way to purify water, a good mobile one is the katadyn
pump one with the silver based disc.

You can also make a sand filter with activated charcoal.

Some great videos from wilderness outfitters

Dave even shows you how to make a good ghillie suit and then shows
you that it really works.

I recommend you watch them all even if you think you know the
content of the video.

The most important thing you will have is your knowledge and
who ever you can find that you trust with your life to go with you.

One man lived alone on an island and showed up with nothing but a knife.

300 days on island alone with just a knife

If you prepare you can do well, and caching can really save your butt.

Make sure it is water tight sealed, test it somehow.

Have more than one cache site, and make sure you are not observed.

There are some ppl on the survival boards that know more than me,
so try asking there if you don't like my answers.

Good Luck and send me a u2u if you have questions.

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 02:27 PM
link   
Hey, I am not in a good financial situation either.

I have been buying a little bit at a time. I buy 1 or 2 or maybe 5 each 1 oz silver rounds or bars at time. I buy 1 can of freeze dried food at a time, or rice or whatever.

I think the key is to just buy a little bit at a time, whatever you can afford. After a while, it builds up. I have probably 4 or 5 months of food now, I have been buying it over the past 4 years. Also, I have maybe $1000 in silver and gold, all bought on oncies and twocies.

I still have not been able to buy a Berkey water filter, as they are several hundred dollars and I never have that much. I did manage to buy a "baby berkey" which is just ok.

Also, I buy a couple a cans of beans when I can to put in my stock from the grocery store, I prefer black eyed peas, but you can buy any kind of beans and they will last for years.

What I am working on now is water storage. I am looking for containers to store it in. I think if you check around industrial sites, even trash areas at major retail stores, you can find some container. It is EXTREMELY important to have water, especially if you have freeze dried or dehydrated food. You can keep the water with a little Bleach.

A REALLY EXCELLENT BLOG where you can learn all kinds of inexpensive ways for survival:

Survival Blog

Good Luck!

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 03:00 PM
link   
I am not trying to sound odd!
But being a single mother, I would advise, going to something like this,
www.watercreekknapin.com...
Just take basic 1 1/2 day camp supplies, there is food and such available on-site, and these happen all over the USA all year long.
This is just one example.
They are a great place to start, besides these ppl have 1000's of years experience on us!
You will not only learn what you need to survive , but also practical uses and how to make it from nothing!
Rope, cordage, knives, traps, shelter, water, food....etc...
good-luck

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 04:50 PM
link   
reply to post by calstorm

I am sort of with you on this. I am not single, but my husband doesn't share my convictions about preparedness, so I am limited to doing what I can with the bi weekly grocery money. He knows I do it but maybe not to the extent that I do it. I have bug out bags for all of us (family of 4) and I stock food in the cellar. I just add a bit extra each time I shop. For example, if I need some noodles, I buy 2 or 3 boxes instead of 1. I store the extra in the cellar. I rotate my stock and so forth. I fantasize (ok I know that sounds a bit flighty) about bugging out, but in reality may need to stay put. Mostly, I do try to just be mentally and spiritually prepared and do what I can with the money I do have.

I do wish you well. It may sound, hmm, heartless? to say this, but you have the advantage with being single. You are the only one to make the decisions. As I do believe my husband is the head of the house, I must do what I do with those limitations.

Take care.

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 04:54 PM
link   
reply to post by silo13

this is an awesome post. It helped me tremendously. i do try to learn so much, but my memory doesn't work so great. You have some great points though. I do believe that we cannot depend solely upon our physical preparations. someone else said that we need to be physically fit too. that is good advice too in my opinion.

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 07:52 PM
link   
One thing that I can add to this is to have a few people, preferably close friends, plan on doing what needs to be done together. I think that surviving would obviously be much easier in a small group of like minded individuals, especially if you have the luxury of growing up with said people. Just think how much more effective a shelter would be if built by 2 or 3 people as opposed to yourself alone. I've always believed that "two heads are better than one". Another point I'd like to bring up is for people to actually PRACTICE these techniques. Go camping. Build a little hut. Go hunting. Come to terms with killing to survive. Take the tools out of the package. Get a little "mud on the tires", so to speak. I'm from a very remote area, and I've grown up playing in the woods, chopping trees, building "forts", hunting, all that back woods hillbilly stuff. I feel like my immune system has benefited greatly from playing in the dirt, as I rarely get sick. I also agree that knowledge is the most powerful tool, but its like the guns in District 9...they can't fire without an alien hand...and the knowledge is useless if you can't apply it in a real situation. The show "Survivorman" on Discovery channel or NatGeo or whichever it is...That guy shows you a lot of neat tricks that can be done with things that you would normally be carrying in your everyday.

But seriously, get away from the hustle and bustle of everyday life and go camping. bring the things you would bring in a SHTF situation. Be ready to apply all the knowledge you absorb from our limitless sources presented to us.

And also, I cannot believe that vitamins (in supplement form) have gotten ridiculed. As many have stated, survival wouldnt mean eating rounded balanced meals, it would be rationed and probably monotonous basic foods...starches, grains, etc...vitamins are a big thumbs up, in my book at least.

-Chaos

(Edit::How could I forget the vitamins???)

[edit on 8/20/2009 by ChaosComplex]

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 07:56 PM
link   
I've just realised I need to be prepared!

Far out to survive we need stuff! lots of stuff! how do we get this stuff to where we wanna be- ie near a water supply- our cars will be useless without petrol- seriously Im thinking I should have a horse and cart

I've just started learning how to grow vegies etc- I think that is a start? and should maybe be stockpiling seeds?

Being an Aussie I dont have a gun, noone I know does! its not like the states here, the average person doesnt need a gun ....I have a pretty good kitchen knife though, maybe that will help

This thread has been very insightful, thanks to everyone that has posted

posted on Aug, 20 2009 @ 09:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Lexxica

Lex, you're an honorable, and yet prudent woman. One thing I did a while back was to go to Home Depot and buy an empty 5-gallon plastic bucket with a lid.

Get the lid that's easy to remove.

I've been throwing bags of dried beans, rice, flour and any number of bulk, dried, easy-to-pack items within the bucket, and once that one fills, it's only a few bucks for another.

If you find it, lard is another very cheap, but very valuable source of calories. So is sorghum, honey, and the big necessity - salt.

These buckets can also store other non-food items and keep them secure and dry.

I once read a report of a German soldier who was a member of those who retreated from the harsh winter from Moscow. While those around him perished by the dozens and the roads were littered with the frozen dead, he and a companion had found buckets of lard.

They would melt the lard and literally drink it. I remember his words, "Right now, if I tried to drink melted lard, my stomach would refuse it and throw it back up. But at the time, our bodies seemed to recognize our dire need for calories, and the lard provided us with sufficient energy to maintain a fairly robust level of energy. It saved our lives."

While this is an extreme example of a use for lard, even if you eat all the rabbits and squirrels in the world, you'll gradually weaken and die because there is no fat.

Our forefathers, even when they only had spears and arrows, would kill bears. Why would they risk all that danger with such primitive weapons to kill a bear? They needed the fat.

So a can or two of lard will last a very long time, just as will a quantity of salt, and yet those two items can make the difference between living and dying.

Cheap? It wasn't too many generations back that we didn't have grocery stores. It can be done cheap.

Just use your head, read other sources for ideas, and think it out.

Cover the absolutes first.

Only then the "like-to-haves."

Pine needles are not the only source of vitamin C. Rose hips, strawberry, blackberry, potato, apples, grapes, raisins, pears, figs, carrots, plums, cranberries, tomatoes, and about a hundred other plants contain Vitamin C in varying amounts.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join