It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can You Do It?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 01:18 PM
link   
Thought this new film coming out was quite interesting..

the guy and his family...well, ok, just the guy really gives up driving, using the bus, taking the elevator just to avoid consuming electricity, not using disposable razors....and of course (this one a lot of ATS members are afraid to do)....getting rid of the television.

"The year we didn't watch TV and became better parents.."

This film really does seem inspiring..

Here's the Trailer

or

How many of us would actually be willing to try this experiment out? A lot of us actually...but how many of us would actually succeed more than a day.

[edit on 11-8-2009 by GorehoundLarry]

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 01:50 PM
link   
I think he was going quite overboard, in fact he was being just as wasteful in another fashion; so many services people avail themselves of are funded with their tax dollars, so to not use them (public transit for example) is just as wasteful because your not taking advantage of something you are forced to pay for. Still an interesting concept however he picked probably the worst location possible to try to live a low-impact life as you have limited space for gardening, poor natural lighting thanks to crowded streets, etc.

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 02:16 PM
link   
I can easily do alot of that and already do.
I chose at a young age to not ever be a consumer of gasoline as I see that as being like a legal crack addiction.
TV is only for my hockey.

I don't do buses and cycle everywhere no matter how far...I have distance legs from doing it so often it doesn't bug me and I don't get sore.

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 03:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by DrumsRfun

I like your style, well unless you are a Canucks fan

Now back on topic.
There is no way I could possibly do this with the career I have. I have to have many different tools in order to do my job and often we are at a different location 3-4 times a week. Now the tools I am talking about are not small enough or light enough to carry in a backpack, all of my tools fill up the bed of my pickup which is not your standard 6 and 1/2 foot bed here, I have a long box which is 8 and 1/2 feet long.

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 03:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cool Breeze

Originally posted by DrumsRfun

I like your style, well unless you are a Canucks fan

I am in Ottawa so I am a Sens fan first and a Canadiens fan second...used to be the leafs but Montreal won me over.
The leafs just stink the last few years.

I am in that same kind of work where I need materials as well...drywall,tiles,wood etc.
I just get it delivered and pay the price.
Its the price I have to pay for my decision...sometimes I am too stubborn I guess.

posted on Aug, 11 2009 @ 03:37 PM
link   
reply to post by DrumsRfun

So you pay someone to deliver your materials and your tools to your jobsites?

That would be a good idea if the delivery person had a way of delivering the things without using gasoline. They are just using what you would be using but instead of paying for the gas at the pump you are paying for it for someone else plus probably 15-30% on top of what the gas would have costed you. Not only that but chances are the delivery service uses a bigger truck than the one I own and would probably have an even lower MPG than I do.

But hey, you're a hockey fan so star for you

posted on Aug, 12 2009 @ 12:52 AM
link   
So many Hockey fans here lol. I never got into it. I really wanna go to a game though just for the experience.

Sigh.

posted on Aug, 12 2009 @ 03:03 AM
link   
I don't watch T.V. I do not trust the media and I find the whole telivison culture as an insult.

posted on Aug, 12 2009 @ 03:35 AM
link   
I don't watch much TV, either. The internet is my poison. Could I do without it? I suppose that if I didn't have a choice I could, but it's not something I would impose on myself.

posted on Aug, 12 2009 @ 01:50 PM
link   
Anyone could do without the internet..if you don't wanna be paranoid.

Last summer, I spent 3 weeks without coming on THIS website.

It's safe to say that my life was never better.....now I'm back on here and of course, I see how paranoid some individuals can get...and see how much fear can be used as a weapon..

posted on Aug, 12 2009 @ 02:11 PM
link   
reply to post by GorehoundLarry

At one point in my life, we lived in an old rundown farmhouse in the middle of the country whose accomodations consisted of a cistern, an outhouse, a pot belly stove, a garden and eventually, some livestock. The only convenience we had was electricity for lights. There was a creek running through the property and woods on the hill. We ate soup made from a single onion for a week, we just kept adding water to it to make it last. We took baths from bowls of water heated on the stove and gigged frogs for meat.

Those were the hardest days but also the most gratifying.

So, yes I could do it.

top topics

join