It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

House leaders call noisy disruption of healthcare forums 'un-American'

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 06:23 PM
link   

House leaders call noisy disruption of healthcare forums 'un-American'

www.latimes.com

Reporting from Washington -- House Speaker Nancy Pelosi and Majority Leader Steny Hoyer, insisting at the start of a long and politically heated summer congressional recess that healthcare reform can be achieved this fall, today are calling the disruption of town-hall meetings by vocal protesters "simply un-American."
"These disruptions are occurring because opponents are afraid not just of differing views -- but of the facts themselves. Drowning out opposing views is simply un-American."
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 06:23 PM
link   
Isn't this the "pot calling the kettle black", how can vocalizing your views be it dissenting or not on the subject of socializing health care be "un-American".

In my younger years I had always been under the impression that we controled the government. Now along with my years came the realization that in fact they control us.

The government is trying to use every propaganda technique in the book to try and derail any opposition to the plan. That alone leads me to believe that the issue and financial ties to the issue of "medical reform" need to be more heavily investigated.

They are shoving this down our throats. Anytime that type of behavior comes out of a governing body, one should question every aspect of it.

I believe we need reform but not just in our medical system. We need reform on all levels of government and corporate buisness practices.

Some one is going to make alot of money off of this "medical reform", I now just want to know who.

www.latimes.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 06:30 PM
link   
This thread really shouldn't have to be all that long. The answer to Ms. Pelosi and her associates is simple:

It's called the First Amendment. Which is pretty much as American as you can get.

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 06:36 PM
link   
Yeah protesting and exposing the scum for who they are... totally unamerican... except...that's what america was founded on... but eh, we are the powers that be, ignore history!

We might need some far west justice around here pretty soon.

[edit on 10-8-2009 by Vitchilo]

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 06:39 PM
link   
Domestic dissidents are not only un-american but potential terroists.
Now on another note let's quickly pass a bill supporing Iranian dissidents!

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 06:45 PM
link   
reply to post by LeaderOfProgress

I hope everyone who is griping at Pelosi's comment was also griping when Fox News called the anti-war protestors "un-American."

I know I was.

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 06:47 PM
link   

Wait a minute! I was told last year, that when you disagreed with the administration, it was patriotic! Will someone get me the memo! Why the change? I mean, it couldn't have anything to do with a new administration, could it? They wouldn't be THAT two-faced, would they?

-sigh-

They really do think us stupid. . . .

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 06:48 PM
link   
reply to post by A Fortiori

Likewise. But Fox News isn't a representative of the people. They're a partisan hack tool just like MSNBC and all the rest.

What pisses me off about this whole thing is that they are doing to the "right" what the right did to the "left" during the Bush years. I put that in quotes because the people I knew protesting Bush's policies are the same people that are protesting Obama's policies.

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 07:01 PM
link   
reply to post by lpowell0627

Bill of Rights

Amendment I
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.

The problem that we will face when throwing the "First Amendment" rights at the problem is the key word "Peaceably". Once it becomes determined that it is no longer peacefull, the government can intervene. This is beside the point because they are not stopping anyone. All they are doing is singling out people and groups so as to embarras and cause them to be ostricized by the rest of the public.

It is playing dirty if you ask me, to have the government trying to quell the dissidents while shoving "reforms" down thier throats.

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 07:16 PM
link   
reply to post by A Fortiori

I thought it was garbage then when people were falling for it, and I think it is garbage now from the supposed other end of the "spectrum". The difference is I can't picture anybody buying this.

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 07:25 PM
link   

They are unamerican, because in many cases they are packed by people who are NOT constituents.

Sorry... The last thing I need is outsiders coming to my town hall.

And even the ones who ARE constituents are acting like children, not adults.

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 07:26 PM
link   
reply to post by CapsFan8

As far as I am concerned it is every person's right on this planet to voice dissent about policies of ruling bodies. This is supposed to be everyones world not just those in power. Even if I do not agree with one views it does not give me the right to stop or attempt to quell thier ideas. I can show them the facts that I believe and only hope they see it the way I do. If they do not then oh well, it is their right to have their own beliefs or ideas.

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 07:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by HunkaHunka

They are unamerican, because in many cases they are packed by people who are NOT constituents.

Sorry... The last thing I need is outsiders coming to my town hall.

And even the ones who ARE constituents are acting like children, not adults.

Have any links to this theory? How is it "un-american" to travel just like the politicians are, voicing your opinion to people who are not getting both sides of the story? This bill is going to be national, that means it will not matter what city hall or town in the US you live, it will affect you. It is a national situation, people there fore have the right to campaign just like the government is.

Obviously the government's case is weak in comparisson to the Oppositions stance, or else they would not be resorting to public defamation in order to get their way.

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 07:43 PM
link   
reply to post by HunkaHunka

That does NOT in any way make them un-american. I'm sorry but that comment is pretty bad. Just curious but how do you know they were not constituents? Even if they were not they have every right to be there as an American Citizen who is pissed off. Maybe their congressman wasn't doing a "town hall" meeting. Who cares! It's about time people are standing up and yelling at these people they deserve it. Obviously these politicians can't hear us so we might need to speak up and be heard. I just don't think we should be labeling anybody un-american that just don't make any sense. If they have different views than mine that's un-american...blah

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 07:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by kjburto

That does NOT in any way make them un-american. I'm sorry but that comment is pretty bad. Just curious but how do you know they were not constituents?

Here's an example of a 13 state wide bus trip, 26 stops in VA alone.

Even if they were not they have every right to be there as an American Citizen who is pissed off.

Not at all, these town halls are for the constituents in those areas. If you can get on a bus and go to 13 different states, you can take your issues to DC

Maybe their congressman wasn't doing a "town hall" meeting. Who cares! It's about time people are standing up and yelling at these people they deserve it.

Yelling, isn't going to solve anything.

Obviously these politicians can't hear us so we might need to speak up and be heard.

Make yourself heard with your vote. That's American.

I just don't think we should be labeling anybody un-american that just don't make any sense. If they have different views than mine that's un-american...blah

Any time you attempt to make political change through throwing a tantrum and spreading lies... that's pretty unamerican in my mind. You know why? Because it is against liberty.

“But what is liberty without wisdom, and without virtue? It is the greatest of all possible evils; for it is folly, vice, and madness, without tuition or restraint.” - Edmund Burke

posted on Aug, 10 2009 @ 08:01 PM
link   

What you just described is the governments actions. Let me spell it out for you again. T h i s i s n o t a l o c a l i s s u e i t i s n a t i o n a l. The government is using your tax dollars to campaing for one side of an issue. They are not from your town so why accept them? What about areas like mine where a politician will not waste their time to come talk to us?

posted on Aug, 12 2009 @ 10:34 AM
link   

Well, of course. the government always throws in a phrase or two that basically boils down to "we can change this whenever we want". It's kind of the same thing as a job description that reads "other duties as assigned".

One thing i will say though, Obama is consistent. Consistently pitting Americans against Americans that is.

He has pretty much managed to negatively label the majority of Americans. Which of course will just allow those not yet labeled to feel threatened and defensive against these potentially dangerous labeled Americans. He has gone after republicans, southerners, returning military, religeous fanatics, and healthcare reform protesters.

He has also managed to stoke the fire by saying: gun sales are way up, militias are on the rise, anti-government groups are congregating in larger numbers than seen in decades, etc.

He wants us to start fighting amongst ourselves. If we are fighting each other, we won't be watching - or fighting - him. And frankly, I give the guy credit. His plan is working perfectly.

posted on Aug, 12 2009 @ 10:43 AM
link   
Here's a good kick in the head, it sure left me dazed for a few minutes

Health debate isn't a game

Shouting misinformation is immature and unpatriotic. Let's all be good Americans and live up to our president's expectations...

baltimoresun.com...

IMHO TPTB are on very thin ice at the moment and are upsetting and unwittingly awakening more people everyday

posted on Aug, 12 2009 @ 10:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by lpowell0627

Well, of course. the government always throws in a phrase or two that basically boils down to "we can change this whenever we want". It's kind of the same thing as a job description that reads "other duties as assigned".

One thing i will say though, Obama is consistent. Consistently pitting Americans against Americans that is.

Why are these outlandish allegations allowed to pass!?

What about MANDATE don't people understand?

He has pretty much managed to negatively label the majority of Americans.

I think the town hall disrupters did a right good job of that themselves.

Which of course will just allow those not yet labeled to feel threatened and defensive against these potentially dangerous labeled Americans. He has gone after republicans, southerners, returning military, religeous fanatics, and healthcare reform protesters.

Wow... really.. he has? How about some proof of him "GOING AFTER" them. And for the record, the protesters did it to themselves by acting like complete psychopaths chanting HEAR OUR VOICE. Yet they have nothing productive to actually say.

He has also managed to stoke the fire by saying: gun sales are way up, militias are on the rise, anti-government groups are congregating in larger numbers than seen in decades, etc.

So now you are allergic to facts? Gun Sales *are* way up. Militia groups *are* on the rise. And as for the anti-government groups... have you seen the town hall protests?

He wants us to start fighting amongst ourselves.

I must have missed the part where he was supporting the town hall disrupters. They want us to fight amongst ourselves.

[edit on 12-8-2009 by HunkaHunka]

posted on Aug, 12 2009 @ 11:11 AM
link   
Poll after poll has shown that the majority is against the proposed health care plan. I have read the bill and it is down right scary !!!! I'm in allied health and according to the bill, the government will be telling me how much I can make as well as where I can work, they called it "geographic diversity". The statement that the president made about this bill not adding to the deficit is a lie. There is no way to pay the trillion dollar DOWN PAYMENT ONLY without raising taxes on the working class. I already pay a sh*t load of taxes, I can't afford to lose anymore of MY hard earned money.
un - American? I don't think so. I love this country, and I'll be da*ned if I'm going to just stand by and not be heard. This is supposed to be a democracy, but yet every day I feel it falling apart, piece by piece. I will fight to keep this country free from tyranny. I don't care what district is what, if you are a taxpayer/citizen you have every right to voice your concerns. People are yelling because they are ignoring them, and we are a people that will not be cast aside.
It's "By the people for the people".
It's not by Obama for Obama.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join