It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do Not Buy The New Tv's which will arrive with smelling capabilities

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 7 2009 @ 09:14 AM
link   
I remember seeing this Programme a while back which was about Future TV's & Electronics (TV's which give off the smell of what is actually going on in the TV programme at the time). Say for example if there was a cookery programme on and the chef was cooking some special dish.... the smell would come through filters in the TV!! It's true these Technicians/Scientists were/are working on this Technology as we speak and i got to thinking what if some poisonous gas was filtered through via a programme about terrorism or something........ of course it would have to be a live programme for that to happen...... if they wanted to kill us all off......

I don't really see how this could work though as how would the filters know which smell to give out at what time?

Anyone else see the programme i'm chatting about? I don't recall the name.

posted on Aug, 7 2009 @ 09:24 AM
link   
I remember reading about this years ago in a newspaper, but the date was April 1st, so I didn't take it all that seriously. After following up on that story several years later I could find nothing about it.

On a side-note, imagine watching the Ultimate survivor on the telly and smelling it. I don't think so.

posted on Aug, 7 2009 @ 09:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Manawydan

At least i didn't imagine it then....... i saw it last year on some programme..... don't know what's happening with the idea now though..... could be trashed for all i know but i'm definately not going to set myself up to be gased!!!!

posted on Aug, 7 2009 @ 09:33 AM
link   
smells are only complex molecules. we interpret each molecule as a different smell.

just like theres a part of the galaxy that has a rasberry rum flavor.

just know what is coming through, and that chemical will come out.

seriously doubt it will make poisons. hope not anyways.

i mean how would it work. tubes of chemicals that make of the base of the smell? combined they make chicken fettucini?

would you have to refill it?

what if a scene changed from a restaurant to a brothel? would you want to smell that for hours?

posted on Aug, 7 2009 @ 09:36 AM
link   
Ah....'smellavision.'
great unless it's a documentary about those children diggin through the dumps to live.

posted on Aug, 7 2009 @ 10:35 AM
link   
This is an old wives tale and has no truth. It started about 2000 with next years models of computers having "smelling" capabilities. For instance, websites about Hawaii may may a slight pineapple aroma that the surfer can smell. It was on an episode of the History Ch. but even one of the developers said it won't hit the market and never will.

The smelling feature on TV's will never happen either. The capsules one would have to buy only have enough "smells" in them for no more than a few uses, and getting the smells right is a whole other problem as well as getting them to activate at the right time is.

I know you believers will turn your nose up to this, so sorry, it just won't happen.

posted on Aug, 7 2009 @ 10:48 AM
link   
reply to post by TruthxIsxInxThexMist

Thank God in a way these tvs have never happened----
Can you imagine all the different smells in your bedroom or lounge ??

All mixing in together---not pleasant !!

posted on Aug, 7 2009 @ 11:36 AM
link   
Smellivision could only happen one of two ways...

1. Emitting electrical frequencies to stimulate the neural centers of the brain that interpret smell.

2. Electronically releasing a mixture of essential oils from a mechanical mechanism in the television.

In the former case, you can't be killed be something that doesn't really exist. If an electrical frequency stimulated your brain into thinking you smelled poisonous gas, there wouldn't actually be poisonous gas to kill you.

In the later case, the only smells that could be recreated are those that utilize either one or a combination of essential oils available in the television receptacle. I know of no essential oils whose fumes are toxic, although they may give you a splitting headache and cause allergic reactions with those with sensitivities. Besides, there would have to be a mechanism that would allow these essential oils to be replenished. If you don't want the "poisonous gas" scent, you can replace it with strawberry oil.

I think people would be more concerned with Televisions that come with built in Wi-Fi, Microphones, Web-Cams and 1GB of Memory to buffer images and sounds before it transmits them. The potentials for abuse are far greater with those things than Smellivision ever could dream of.

posted on Aug, 7 2009 @ 12:15 PM
link   
reply to post by fraterormus

I like number one, that was the first practical apparatus that came into my mind as well, it would work I think, and as you said it is not dangerous.

posted on Aug, 7 2009 @ 12:23 PM
link   
they could do it the old fashioned way, odorama or smell-o-vision. I remember going to see Polyester as a kid. I kept that scratch and sniff card for years.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Aug, 7 2009 @ 12:24 PM
link   
Ah Smell-O-Vision. I've heard of it being used in theaters before, but this is the first I've heard of it coming to a TV or computer near you.

I've yet to see anything on the tube or on my monitor that I actually need to smell.

I'll pass.

posted on Aug, 7 2009 @ 12:28 PM
link   
reply to post by mrwupy

I've yet to see anything on the tube or on my monitor that I actually need to smell.

I'll pass.

You mean you don't want to smell all those CGI...Er...Inter-dimensional orbs and Caret drones?

[edit on 8/7/2009 by jkrog08]

posted on Aug, 7 2009 @ 12:47 PM
link   
I believe we should be more concerned with a new type television that could smell the orders in our homes.

Do you get my drift?

posted on Aug, 7 2009 @ 12:57 PM
link   
reply to post by OneNationUnder

Old wives tale? Hmmmm....... well, as you say 'it won't happen' i'll believe you and even it does i won't be buying one.........

posted on Aug, 7 2009 @ 01:09 PM
link   

Thanks for your post...... very insightful!

I think "Emitting electrical frequencies to stimulate the neural centers of the brain that interpret smell." could have been what i meant up above!!

Maybe they are working on some long-term filters!!!

Those cams inserted into the TV's without us knowing was a good thought.... bloody hell, can you imagine that? All of us being watched everytime we switched on the TV?

Damn!

posted on Aug, 7 2009 @ 01:23 PM
link   
reply to post by mrwupy

Thanks for the link Mrwupy..... interesting read even though it didn't take off......... the idea is there though and like it says at the bottom of the page IN A THOUSAND YEARS MAYBE!!

posted on Aug, 7 2009 @ 01:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by TruthxIsxInxThexMist
Those cams inserted into the TV's without us knowing was a good thought.... bloody hell, can you imagine that? All of us being watched everytime we switched on the TV?

They are already here. Comcast got caught putting them in Set Top Boxes a few years ago (and even was awarded a Patent for it). This is so that they can deliver better Advertisements to customers, and know how many people are in the room watching the show. However, as Set Top Boxes are insanely easy to hack, it wouldn't be difficult for someone to use it illegally to monitor your living room.

Many higher end HDTVs have these built in along with WI-FI these days. Supposedly for the purpose of using Video Conferencing on your TV.

It is unlikely that government will use these to monitor your activities as seriously, how active are couch-potatoes sitting in front of their televisions? These people are the complacent ones that the government doesn't need to worry about...and most people don't conduct their illegal activities in front of the television (except maybe the stoners...but they are generally a passively complacent lot as well).

However, Advertisers and Content Providers (the Cablecos, Networks, and Hollywood) have a lot to gain using these cameras to monitor your activities in front of the television. It would allow them to have an actual count of people who viewed an Advertisement or a Television show, it would allow them to determine what Ads were effective, and it would allow them to study your viewing habits. When Ted Turner said something along the lines of "those people who leave the room during commercial breaks to go to the bathroom or go to the fridge are criminals and thieves and should be put in jail" it puts the whole scenario in a different light when you consider the possibility of Ted Turner watching what you do when you watch television now.

What gives these non-governmental corporations the right to spy on you in your own living room by using your HDTV or DVR or Cable Box? I thought surveillance without a warrant was illegal?

And like I said, there are already detailed ways floating on the Internet on how to basically turn these devices into an automated "voyeur cam" that you, or anyone else, can access.

posted on Aug, 7 2009 @ 01:32 PM
link   
Mmmmmmm....... Smelling Fat Alberts sweaty armpits, or the Big Bad Wolfs stinky dog breath..... oh yeah baby...
Or how about the gaseous scene from Blazing Saddles? Oh yeah i think we're onto something here!
Wait!
How about an episode of COPS when they use tear gas! Man that would be so cool and stuff. I'll get to use my gas mask!

[edit on 7-8-2009 by lombozo]

posted on Aug, 7 2009 @ 01:53 PM
link   

They are already doing this i know.... i should have said before but yes it is in high tec suvielance equipment the top spy's use for the CIA, MI5, MI6, KGB ETC ETC......

Actually your post belongs in the 'mind control' thread which is an excellent read btw.....

[edit on 7-8-2009 by TruthxIsxInxThexMist]

posted on Aug, 7 2009 @ 01:54 PM
link   
reply to post by lombozo

You best be careful when you hear of this being tested at a cinema and they want volunteers...... because they just may want to gas you!!!!

<<   2 >>

join