It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Souless Pet Food Industry - Save our pets!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 03:31 AM
link   
I want to do something a little different than usual, that's speak out for those without a voice, our beloved pets! Rather than the regular human injustices I usually write about, this one is for the dogs. Hopefully it will help in our efforts when deciding what's best for our four legged friends? So, if you have a pet, or just love animals, you're going to want to hear about this, the animal rendering industry.

Animal rendering plants process pretty much anything to create a byproduct for use as a filler material in pet food. This disturbing practice is used by leading brands like Iams, Science Diet, etc.., so don't think it's safe because it's expensive!

www.dogfoodadvisor.com...
Unfit for Humans… Legal for Dog Food

Here’s a short list of some of the unsavory raw materials I’ve already mentioned… plus a few others. All of the following ingredients are appalling… yet each can be lawfully used to make dog food:

* Slaughterhouse waste (organs, heads, hooves, beaks, feet)

* Bread and cereal rejects (cobs, stalks, mill sweepings)

* Contaminated grain middlings

* Dying, diseased and disabled farm animals

* Road kill (deer, skunks, and raccoons)

* Distiller fermentation waste

* Spoiled supermarket food

* Dead zoo animals

* Restaurant grease

* Euthanized cats and dogs

The pet food industry can be… at least in part… a sinister waste disposal vehicle for the human food manufacturers… and a way to profit from its own garbage. Many companies practice legal witchcraft by magically turning their trash… into cash.

If that wasn't bad enough, the FDA is about to do the same thing with GM animals as they did with GM food! These bastards have the balls to even sell this as a good thing to the ignorant public? When will people wise up to the Federal Government?

www.thegoodhuman.com...
Now, the FDA is set to approve genetically engineered animals into the human food chain. From the FDA website: “Genetic engineering generally refers to the use of recombinant DNA (rDNA) techniques to introduce new characteristics or traits into an organism. When scientists splice together pieces of DNA and introduce a spliced DNA segment into an organism to give the organism new properties, it’s called rDNA technology. The spliced piece of DNA is called the rDNA construct. A GE animal is one that contains an rDNA construct intended to give the animal new characteristics or traits.”

The FDA plans to classify GE animals as a ‘drug’ until food products from these animals are recognized as safe. Currently the FDA website is accepting input from organizations and individuals on GE animals. To learn more and post your comments click here.

The FDA tells consumers: “GE animals currently being developed can be divided into six broad classes based on the intended purpose of the genetic modification: (1) to enhance food quality or agronomic traits (e.g., pigs with less environmentally deleterious wastes, faster growing fish); (2) to improve animal health (e.g., disease resistance); (3) to produce products intended for human therapeutic use (e.g., pharmaceutical products or tissues for transplantation; these GE animals are sometimes referred to as “biopharm” animals); (4) to enrich or enhance the animals’ interactions with humans (e.g., hypo-allergenic pets); (5) to develop animal models for human diseases (e.g., pigs as models for cardiovascular diseases); and (6) to produce industrial or consumer products (e.g., fibers for multiple uses).”

There are ways around this for, the not so gullible citizenry, those concerned about their pets. There are still good companies selling good pet food. Read up on what to look for and which companies to trust. You can also make your own with a simple recipe.

www.bornfreeusa.org...

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 03:40 AM
link   
that whole list is Brutal, Just Brutal man Euthanized cats and dogs not cool that is why my god is on an raw meat diet.[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/e3bddbafffb0.jpg[/atsimg]

But hey there is hope
MEAT FOR CATS AND DOGS
meat proudly supports and supplies the raw food diet for dogs and cats.

that is the place I get my dog food all beef human grade! and my dog loves it! so not all pet food is evil.

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 03:52 AM
link   
Thats why I give my puppy fresh chicken and rice, some bakers dried food and never tinned dog meat. Some of the top brands are behing this and it is a joke when you think what they charge for the stuff
Its the old addage you buy *Snip* you get *Snip"

Mod edit- to snip some words,

[edit on 5-8-2009 by asala]

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 04:00 AM
link   
I worked at a dog food factory that produced many name brand feeds even some of what you listed.

This article is full of propaganda and lies.

First of all there are very stringent tests that are done to ensure that the grains going into pet food are not contaminated in any way. Corn for example can produce a mold that is called "Alpha Toxin" this mold is deadly to dogs. All inbound corn shipments are heavily tested to ensure that the bad grain does not make it into feed. Samples of feed are kept on file for years so as to go back and test for any problems that may arise in the event of a pet death due to feed.

The "road kill" statement is insane and very untrue. The only true meat products that go into the feed once again are tested for true protien and only quality meat is put into the process. There is a product that is called meat and bone meal which does contain by products of butchering, but once again has real value that is good for carnivorous pets.

The brewery bi-products is a lie once again. There are hops put into feeds but it is in it's natural state not processed.

Never has there been spoiled anything put into feed. There is no scraps of any type put into feed. Only feed itself and only in small percentages can be reintroduced into the feed when processing a new batch.

There is no bread and cereal rejects added to feed.

NEVER would uthanized dogs and cats be used in feed production. That is a lie that should be prosecuted.

There is a grease used that is a byproduct of resturaunts. This grease is called tallow and is only accepted under strict guidelines. We eat resturaunt grease, they can too.

You see you are using shock tactics in order to promote an agenda what ever it might be. Most of what you posted is lies and half truths. I will gladly welcome all questions about the pet food industry.

All feeds are produced under very strickt laws and standards. Failure to adhear to the proper protien and fat levels will make animals sick. This is bad for buisness. The products that are used in making pet feed pass FDA standards. The reason the FDA handles the pet food industry as well is because the bag of feed might be placed right next to the loaf of bread you feed your family.

Pet food is safe for even a person to eat. It is actually more healthy then you would think. So many lies an rumors are spread about what is in pet food. It is not as simple as you are making it out to be. One protien variance and the entire batch of feed is scrap. The feed can only be cooked so long to. If the feed is to dry then the animals will have a hard time digesting it.

BTW most dogs and cats are scavengers and will eat rotting diseased meat. They eat road kill. They raid trash cans. We feed them table scraps. A dog will eat a dirty tampon if given the opportunity. So please do not come in here with your ideas that pets are some how being abused by the pet food industry.

Most people that work at a pet food manufacturing place would not hesitate to take a piece of feed and eat it. That is how bad the feed is.

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 04:02 AM
link   
I have kept dwarf rabbits for decades now. Last year some time, I decided to stop feeding them their normal feed and hay and just go for fresh vegetables and hay. This summer, I stopped all of that too. Now I just go to the park or wherever and pick fresh clover and pick up bush cuttings, wildflowers and grasses for them. They don't touch their water bottles anymore, nor their mineral stones. They are even more affectionate to each other and to us than previously - and that's quite a lot - and they eat a fraction of the volume they used to when I bought the stuff for them. I'm drying up huge quantities of the stuff to get them through the winter too.

I feed myself this way now as well. My daughter and I spend a fair period of time each day picking berries and mushrooms from the forest near us. It's quite amazing how the energy of the food is so vastly different from what you buy at the shops.

If I had a dog or cat, they would get fresh sinews and offal, either raw or cooked up with some nice whole (unhulled) grains like oats, barley and rye. I suspect that would result in the same notable change in them that I have observed in ourselves and our rabbits.

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 04:43 AM
link   
Just go for the pure raw meat diet. No grains for dogs.

Do some research. Then just go raw.

Just need to take care when handling the poop.

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 06:22 AM
link   
reply to post by LeaderOfProgress

Are you serious? This has been going on for years. You can see the obvious truth by looking at the laws and regulation frauds by Congress and FDA. These laws show how they protect big business, just as the massive law suits do. Get your head out of your ass, or bite your tongue!

www.bornfreeusa.org...
Because of persistent rumors that rendered by-products contain dead dogs and cats, the FDA conducted a study looking for pentobarbital, the most common euthanasia drug, in pet foods. They found it. Ingredients that were most commonly associated with the presence of pentobarbital were meat-and-bone-meal and animal fat. However, they also used very sensitive tests to look for canine and feline DNA, which were not found. Industry insiders admit that rendered pets and roadkill were used in pet food some years ago. Although there are still no laws or regulations against it, the practice is uncommon today, and pet food companies universally deny that their products contain any such materials. However, so-called “4D” animals (dead, dying, diseased, disabled) were only recently banned for human consumption and are still legitimate ingredients for pet food.

There are no stringent anything related to the animal rendering industry? What the hell are you talking about? Your ridiculous point is the very problem. You're either delusional, or clueless?

www.truthaboutpetfood.com...
Now, here is what the FDA website states about Federal Law 402(a)(5):

“Pet food consisting of material from diseased animals or animals which have died otherwise than by slaughter, which is in violation of 402(a)(5) will not ordinarily be actionable, if it is not otherwise in violation of the law. It will be considered fit for animal consumption.” www.fda.gov...

The FDA, despite Federal law, decided that diseased animals or animals which have died other than by slaughter, is safe for your pet to eat. In other words, the FDA is telling pet owners: ‘Yes, we realize there is a law against this, but we’re not going to do anything about it.’

From the same FDA webpage:

“The pet food canning industry utilizes undecomposed animal and marine tissues from various sources. These include products of the rendering industry such as various meat, poultry, and bone meals; meat scraps and offal from packing house waste, freshly boned-out animals; and occasionally meat from animals that may have died otherwise than by slaughter. Before processing, many of these commodities may be considered in violation of *402(a)(5)*, however, the Center for Veterinary Medicine (CVM) is aware of no instances of disease or other hazard occurring from canned packing house offal or the tissues of animals that may have died otherwise than by slaughter.”

Just to be clear, Federal law does NOT allow into ANY food, a diseased animal or animal that has died other than by slaughter – regardless if the food or food ingredient is processed or not. Some pet food ingredients are approved for use by GRAS – Generally Recognized as Safe – standards; animals that are diseased or that have died other than by slaughter are NOT GRAS! This is in complete violation of Federal law. There is NO scientific evidence provided by the FDA or the CVM to substantiate the claim they are ‘not aware of disease or other hazards’ occurring from animals that consume this material.

This situation is borderline common knowledge these days. There have been so many problems and cover ups the whole thing is a mess. What kind of person defends this cruelty? I've heard some clueless idiots on ATS before, but you just went off the charts!

DESPICABLE!!!!!

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 07:08 AM
link   
My Golden Retriever will not touch some varieties of tinned dog food and I can only assume that there IS something in it that she knows is not good for her! I now feed her steamed chicken and/or fish with steamed FRESH VEGETABLE, there are many veg which should NOT be fed to dogs but some which are good/vital to the continued health of your dog!

Check out barfworld.com, they have a short list of which FRUIT AND VEG are needed for a healthy dog plus some minerals etc.

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 07:24 AM
link   
I worked in the trucking industry for awhile and we had contracts to deliver rice to pet food manufacturers on the east coast and in the mid-west (Kansas). I have to say from this personal experience that the manufacturer we delivered to was very fussy and particular about the condition of the loads. It had to be inspected and product analyzed before they would accept it. We had loads rejected because they found a single mouse turd on a pallet (originated from the supplier).

I personally witnessed them reject whole trailers of frozen fish on the east coast for reasons that weren't clear.

They refused to ship finished product if our truck trailers weren't immaculate and odour free. I would say they were more fussy than the shippers of human food. I could never understand that, but it is true.

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 07:35 AM
link   
S & F Zerbst !!!!!!!!

I'm embarrassed and ashamed that I didn't figure out sooner, dogs don't eat grain in the wild!!!!!!! When I found out that dogs cannot digest grain and it was only being used for filler, I kicked myself!! Duh!!!! Dogs don't graze in the fields with the cows, they eat meat, vegetables, and fruit. I was making my own food for them from a diet I found that included rice, but they were getting diarrhea to often. I thought it was the vegetables, um.... no. I did some research and found a food that was grain free, made with only top human grade meat, probiotics, vegetables, fruit, and a 21 point quality control process. My dogs were transformed !!!!! They are much more active and happy, and their bm's are perfect every time.
I am so glad you posted this, you are so right !!! We must speak for those that have no voice. I am going to start a thread soon about how yearly vaccinations are killing our pets. Dogs and cats are actually immune after the first two series of shots. You wouldn't believe what a money scam it is.

Again great post!!!!! Thank you!!!!!!!

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 07:37 AM
link   
reply to post by wayno

That was probably a company that actually gives a sh*t. I have found food makers that care about the health of our pets, and pride themselves on quality.

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 07:43 AM
link   
Somewhat off topic, it's damn near impossible to find ferret food that does not have some sort of sugar in the top 3 or 4 ingredients. You're supposed to trust these people to make the best food they can for the money for your pet, and instead they stick to the bare minimum of needed nutrients for your pet then cram filler that the animal the food is made for has no business eating.

Then again, there seems to be some sort of small conspiracy against ferrets as pets anyway.

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 07:43 AM
link   
I feed my two BARF...no matter what the dog food industry says about quality of ingredients, since when dig a dog get into a combine harvester, harvest some grain and then cook it before it ate it?

I feed mine human grade chicken, beef, pork and offal. They get fish and veg and love it.

They get cooked leftovers but otherwise their food is raw.

They love it and look superb.

Much of the dog food which is prepared these days is formulated to make stools easier to pick up!

Feed em a raw diet and there's very little waste - my two are never sick and they look smashing...

One is nearly six years old and the boy is nearly four. He has never had a sick day in his life.

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 09:13 AM
link   
I work in the pet industry and have for a number of years. By all means check out the nutritional values of the foods you buy. You'll be amazed at some of the variances between brands. Keep in mind that although the brands that use human grade products are at the top end of the price scale, you actually feed your pets a lot less of it than you do with the crappy brands. You'll also notice their stools are a lot less unpleasant on the better foods.
Personally I've never heard of a single manufacturer ever using euthanaised dogs or cats, nor road kill. Certainly they use cattle that died in the fields, but your pets would eat these animals if they had the chance anyway.
The brands listed above are certainly marketed as premium brands, but there are super premium which are well above those listed too. This is the group where you usually find the human grade products and even holistic foods.
As for one point saying that only hops are used in relation to the brewing industry, check out how many lesser brands use brewers rice as a filler. This is the left over product after the brewers have finished with it.
Look for foods without grains and read the ingredients and love your pets.
Cheers.

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 09:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by wiser3
My Golden Retriever will not touch some varieties of tinned dog food and I can only assume that there IS something in it that she knows is not good for her! I now feed her steamed chicken and/or fish with steamed FRESH VEGETABLE, there are many veg which should NOT be fed to dogs but some which are good/vital to the continued health of your dog!

Check out barfworld.com, they have a short list of which FRUIT AND VEG are needed for a healthy dog plus some minerals etc.

Hello, wiser. Thanks for the comments.

We do the sniff tests all the time with our animals. When presented with herbal supplements, or anything healthy, our Chihuahuas feverishly lick and bite at them. However, when offered an aspirin, or similar toxic substance deemed safe for consumption, they become frantic and fearful. They will actually run from the scene immediately as if in danger! A similar exhibit is observed with human foods.

My mother has an African Grey Parrot that never ate fruits and vegetables of any kind? She concluded that this must not be part of their natural diet, so she stopped offering them. I insisted to her these foods were indeed a staple to a parrots normal life and that the cause of his refusal was do to them being GM, or chemically adulterated somehow? She regarded this as ridiculous paranoia, as most uninformed people do, until she witnessed the proof first hand.

I visited them one day bringing with me various organic fruits and veggies to see once and for all what the deal was. Her parrot devoured each and every different item I offered, leaving my mother in utter amazement! She could never believe that this was reality until she viewed it with her own eyes! Once she was convinced of this I then drew her attention to her Spaniel, whom was in considerably ill health from poor diet. This poor dog was overweight to the point of respiratory problems, but much worse, had a lingering ear infection that no vet was able to treat successfully? I assured my mother that the reason for this was diet and easily fixed. She had been feeding the dog from the table, as well as one of the worst of all big brand dog food, Beneful!!

These highly advertised poison pet foods are high in yeasts that give some animals chronic infections that I've yet to witness diagnosed, even from vets? After weening her off table scraps, and replacing the toxic Beneful with a quality food called Wellness, the spaniel is thinning with no sign of ear infection! All due to diet! Much can be learned from this example, due that it reflects our own health issues and causes. Diet and good health are one and the same, but most people fail to recognize this fact?

Peace.

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 09:38 PM
link   
reply to post by wayno

We should never consider anything less when it comes to taking responsible care of anythings health! Thank you for pointing out a positive example to this subject, but understand what you witnessed is far from the norm. Animal feed is much more loosely regulated than human. If you understand the extent of what goes on in the "highly regulated" human food supply, or how very toxic it really is, you can only imagine the animal feed industry! It's all about profit and little to nothing about health.

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 09:43 PM
link   
I guess this article doesnt bear any truth of Australian Pet Food manufacturers. My dog, plus all my families past dogs have been eating the same dog food for years now. Apart from the occasional farting epidemic we havent had any health issues with any of our pets. In fact at my dogs last check up, the vet couldnt believe in how good a shape she was

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 09:44 PM
link   
It's not in the interest of dog food manufacturers for pets to get sick. This means a recall and a big chunk of money taken off of profits.

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 09:58 PM
link   
Star and flag, great post. We don't have any faith in the pet food companies since all the pets were poisoned a few years ago. As so many others, we have our dogs on the raw diet also and they're doing fantastic.

posted on Aug, 6 2009 @ 10:00 PM
link   
reply to post by sickofitall2012

Hi, sickofitall. Thank you for your input!

It's amazing what a healthy diet will do to behavior and attitude, for anything! We feed our dogs a brand called Wellness, but there are many healthy choices out there. Our animals won't even eat Dog Chow, or any highly advertised brands? I guess they have an understanding of the difference?

You're exactly right about the vaccinations! Our dogs get their first series and that's the end of it. We are unsure that even that is necessary, but still afraid to risk it? Personally, I think all vaccines are unnecessary. Anyway, they are never sick or lacking energy, ever! Our Chihuahuas don't even shed! At first we thought they were just a non shed breed, but after rescuing another one from a breed farm that did, we now attribute it to health. Now none of them shed hair including the rescue dog.

Making your own food is a great idea and extremely cost saving. Your experience was probably due to recipe? It could most likely be adjusted and corrected, but sounds like you found an alternative. Best of luck with it all. Glad to see some actual concern, it's sadly uncommon.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join