It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Flaherty talks of

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 4 2009 @ 08:16 PM
link   
Flaherty's tries to take steps to slow loonies rise

PICKERING, Ontario (Reuters) - The finance minister raised the possibility on Tuesday of policy makers intervening in the currency market if the Canadian dollar's sharp rise puts the fragile economic recovery at risk. Immediately after Flaherty's comments, the Canadian dollar fell against the U.S. dollar after hitting a 10-month high earlier in the day. Currency matters in Canada are strictly the domain of the Bank of Canada, not the government, and so far few market players are betting the bank will step in to brake the appreciation. "I won't substitute my views for those of the governor of the Bank (of Canada) ... We are concerned with any rapid changes in the valuation of the Canadian currency vis a vis the U.S. currency ... We watch that," Flaherty told reporters.

I am not sure about this guy at times, he actually wants to openly admit to controlling the CAD because it is rising too fast.

posted on Aug, 4 2009 @ 09:32 PM
link   
I wouldn't call it "Rising too fast" against the greenback. I would call it "falling slower" than the greenback.

The canuck economy is much harder to kill than many others in the world as it is backed by real product, real resources and a somewhat sustainable system and the perfect leader at the perfect time.

posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 12:00 AM
link   

Atlantican
I wouldn't call it "Rising too fast" against the greenback. I would call it "falling slower" than the greenback.

The canuck economy is much harder to kill than many others in the world as it is backed by real product, real resources and a somewhat sustainable system and the perfect leader at the perfect time.

The canadian dollar has been devalued deliberately so that NAFTA, the TAP and TPP can continue to purchase our resources at discounted rates lower than what canadians can buy them for. Due to the level of our available resources, our dollar should be about 1.6 times the US dollar and I get that same information from analysts and statisticians.

Oh, you can't kill the canadian economy now, you can't kill something that's already dead LOL. Our unemployment rates are double digit if you take into account all the people who have simply given up. But wait, you can add the 47% unemployment or underemployment for 22 to 30 years olds and the 33% unemployment or underemployment for 50 to 64 year olds. We know it's happening, I have friends with stellar records, one with a PhD and another a registered nurse in Ontario, he's over 50 and she is 36, he stocks shelves in a pharmacy and she's a cashier at a grocery store.

Harper and Flaherty have put the final nails in the canadian coffin.

Cheers - Dave

posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 07:19 PM
link   

bobs_uruncle

Atlantican

The canadian dollar has been devalued deliberately so that NAFTA, the TAP and TPP can continue to purchase our resources at discounted rates lower than what canadians can buy them for. Due to the level of our available resources, our dollar should be about 1.6 times the US dollar and I get that same information from analysts and statisticians.

Oh, you can't kill the canadian economy now, you can't kill something that's already dead LOL. Our unemployment rates are double digit if you take into account all the people who have simply given up. But wait, you can add the 47% unemployment or underemployment for 22 to 30 years olds and the 33% unemployment or underemployment for 50 to 64 year olds. We know it's happening, I have friends with stellar records, one with a PhD and another a registered nurse in Ontario, he's over 50 and she is 36, he stocks shelves in a pharmacy and she's a cashier at a grocery store.

Cheers - Dave

Lol

Reviving this thread five years after it died didn't have anything to do with Flaherty buying the farm, did it?

posted on Apr, 11 2014 @ 10:38 PM
link   

Vovin

bobs_uruncle

Atlantican

Cheers - Dave

Lol

Reviving this thread five years after it died didn't have anything to do with Flaherty buying the farm, did it?

Of course it did, but bringing the thread back to life via textual necromancy is OK. Flaherty on the hand, I don't think we'll be pulling him out of hell any time soon.

Cheers - Dave

new topics

top topics

join