It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

OC man charged with modifying video game consoles

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 12:03 AM
link   
[edit on 5-8-2009 by ghaleon12]

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 12:10 AM
link   
More on topic, I do think this is a little strange being charged with modding hardware. Yes the mods allow a person to play downloaded games, but the mods also have other uses (which still happen to be illegal) like playing "home brew" games, which is like if I developed a puzzle game or something that ran on the Wii. It's strange since I could legally do that on a computer that you bought and own, but a Wii that you legally bought and own, you can't legally play my game. Seems odd.

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 12:14 AM
link   
reply to post by ghaleon12

That is the most valid problem with a law that restricts modding consoles. A person should be allowed to manufacture their own game and play it on a console. I think that this would border on AntiTrust laws.

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 03:29 AM
link   
This is happening all over the internet.. ever heard of
"Allconsoledownloads.com"
How come they aren't getting sued? They, and others claim they have every Ps3 , Wii , Xbox 360 game out there.
Meanwhile , the cops are busy busting a college kid. That is ridiculous... We all do stupid things as kids, I'm sure of it. There is no such thing as angel .. that is human.
This kid should be left with like 140 hrs of community service , or working at a game store for free. For a couple of months.
I'm sure he would learn his lesson. No college kid , trying to get his life going should be put in jail . For such a crime.
I know of people that do this for a LIVING. Give the kid a break..

( I know he may not be a kid .. But I have a habbit of saying that )

[edit on 5-8-2009 by C0NSP1R1ST]

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 07:25 AM
link   
A lot of time what happens is someone is suspected of doing something, but they are unable to get a warrant unless they can prove it, so they go digging deeper find something else that they can use against an individual, in this case it is the console modification that they are using, this allows them to obtain warrants in reference to this, but if they happen to stumble upon something unrelated, they now have justification to get a warrant for that. It is using one small crime that was committed by an individual to search for evidence of a larger crime by the same individual.

I don’t know if that is the case here, but I doubt they have the time to go around knocking on doors of people to see if they are modifying their PS3 unless they are really looking for something else on the same individual.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join