It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why aren't other countries rich like the US?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 01:04 AM
link   
Many other civilized countries aren't nearly as rich as the US, and I'm wondering why. Some people have told me it's because the US economy is strong, but then why don't other countries try to emulate so they too can be wealthy.

If something doesn't work, you try something else.

That also comes to mind when I think of the military. This planet has matter which is transformed into weapons for the military, but why can't other countries make that matter into weapons for them? Money is made up by people, so why can't a country say " hey lets build some S*** "????

I abosulutely have no idea what makes a country wealthy, so that others can't be also. People tell me the US in a house of cards indebt, which the Chinese buy up. So how can the US be powerful.

As you can tell by now I have a hard time expressing my ideas, it's a trait I've carried with me my whole life. So I hope some people can read between the lines here and address the points I made up there one by one, and also clear up my whole idea. Thank you very much

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 01:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Redneck from Hell

Oh boy,

They haven't told you yet, have they???

US.......ain't that rich anymore!!! (sorry to have to be the one to tell you this
)

Peace

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 01:50 AM
link   
it's in way better shape than most even now. But for SNIP sake lets go back to a time when it was considered wealthy. Your post did nothing to inform me.

MOD EDIT - Please do NOT evade the automatic censors

[edit on 3/8/09 by neformore]

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 01:52 AM
link   
I have to point out that there is a difference between looking and acting rich and actually being rich.

It would also help the discussion if you named a few of the other countries you refer to as civilized and not as rich.

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 01:57 AM
link   

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 02:02 AM
link   
It also matters on how you define a rich country and also what source you go on, I mean in terms of GDP per capita it’s definitely not the US, it’s:

According to the International Monetary Fund:
1: Qatar
2: Luxembourg
3: Norway
4: Singapore
5: Brunei
6: United States.

According to the World Bank:
1: Luxembourg
2: Norway
3: Singapore
4: United States

According to the CIA Factbook:
1: Liechtenstein
2: Qatar
3: Luxembourg
4: Kuwait
5: Norway
6: Brunei
7: Singapore
8: United States.

See, now... I have another task for you, point them all out on a map.

Mikey

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 02:12 AM
link   
Because for all intents and purposes we control a continent with an enourmous amount of resources and no genuine border enemies and a fantastic capacity to produce food and water.

In the end the USA is STILL rich, our finances are just screwed up atm and even if we go bankrupt we will be "rich" very quickly because we will still Possess the actual wealth.

To really break it down we will never have to purchase food or water on this continent and Nuclear does just fine for household electricity...

So how "poor" can we ever really become?

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 02:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Mikey84

What's really interesting when I see somebody post those countries is just how really small those populations are. I think my home city has a larger population than some of those countries. So if we add all the middle and upper class buying power together out of our 375 million consumers I think that's another way to demonstrate wealth.

Not trying to brag or argue I'm just saying is all.

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 02:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Redneck from Hell
it's in way better shape than most even now. But for f****'s sake lets go back to a time when it was considered wealthy. Your post did nothing to inform me.

how rude are you!!- and just so you know your country isn't in good shape and as far as standard of living goes you don't even make the top 10

1 Luxembourg
2 Norway
3 Qatar
4 Switzerland
5 Denmark
6 Ireland
7 Iceland
8 United Arab Emirates
9 Sweden
10 Netherlands

en.wikipedia.org...(nominal)_per_capita

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 02:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69
reply to post by Mikey84

What's really interesting when I see somebody post those countries is just how really small those populations are. I think my home city has a larger population than some of those countries. So if we add all the middle and upper class buying power together out of our 375 million consumers I think that's another way to demonstrate wealth.

Not trying to brag or argue I'm just saying is all.

That's why I said GPD per capita.

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 02:41 AM
link   
I thought that the US was bankrupt since about 1931.

The US isn't rich.....it is just pretending to be rich and is in massive debt, the whole caboodle!

There are only a few 'rich' people in the US and since money isn't real anyway......they're as poor as the rest of us in reality!

But what is a man without his head?

Standing patiently in a queue last week at a bank, the only description I could give was that the 'natives are getting restless' and people have noticed that something fishy is going on. Where normally people stand silently, they were discussing world affairs, bankers, war mongers, super rich etc.

When one man said firmly but quietly, 'It's time to drag out the guillotines again!' there was mass agreement!

Very interesting that people are waking up at a phenomenal speed and don't like what they see going on around them.

What the elites don't see is that when the people have nothing else to lose......which is the way they are driving us all.......They will have a lot to lose and the people will Take it!

Worrying but still very interesting times!

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 02:43 AM
link   
actually quite a few countries are richer than the US. switzerland, norway, netherlands, etc.

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 02:44 AM
link   

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 02:46 AM
link   
reply to post by soldier8828

okay first of all ive been to qatar and anyone else that has been deployed knows about qatar and how ridiculously rich country they are....when i was at the mall over there i didnt see one bad looking car....that should tell you something right there....

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 02:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Mikey84

I knew exactly what you were trying to say.

Here's a thought. Take away Qatar's, the United Arab Emirates, Brunei and Kuwait oil. Lets remove the banks from the Swiss and Luxembourg. Let's see how well their GDP stays afloat.

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 03:00 AM
link   
reply to post by lifecitizen

Your Source
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/275b57cad0e3.jpg[/atsimg]

[edit on 3-8-2009 by SLAYER69]

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 03:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Redneck from Hell

I think we all know what you're trying to ask, lets try and answer without being too fussy about the actual wealth of the US.

I think it comes down to this:

-a huge country(land mass) with plenty of natural resources
-the only country (non neutral) that survived WW2 with entire economic/manufacturing infrastructure intact
-this lead to the US being a major political and therefore economic power post WW2
-screw everyone else, make a buck at any human/moral cost attitude(as any empire is compelled to to-eg British)
-massive overdraft!

[edit on 3-8-2009 by kiwifoot]

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 05:42 AM
link   

reply to post by lifecitizen

Your Source
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/275b57cad0e3.jpg[/atsimg]

[edit on 3-8-2009 by SLAYER69]

Keep in mind, the EU is made up of dozens of different countries. Some of which are richer than the United States.

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 05:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Donnie Darko

Keep in mind, the EU is made up of dozens of different countries. Some of which are richer than the United States.

OK Lets see how they break this one down.

Show me please.

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 05:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Donnie Darko

OK Lets see how they break this one down.

Show me please.

Norway would still beat us. Plus, countries like Canada are close in GDP, plus there aren't nearly as many poor people. Also, you have to remember that in a place like the Bay Area, or New York City, even if you're wealthy your standard of living might be tough.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join