It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Am I Agnostic or Atheist?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 1 2009 @ 11:34 AM
link   
I truly am not sure what to 'catergorize ' myself as, when it comes to what I 'believe in'....

You may say, " Why even catergorize yourself at all?"

Well, I enjoy debating (especially with Christians) the bible and why they still are believing in the 'fairy tale' account taught by Christian ministry.

Here is my belief:

As a sixth grader, I had a love for history...especially fascinated with greek and egyptian mythology....it all made sense, too, that the ancients created fables or mythical figures to represent attributes of nature, science, astrology.

However I was Christian and attending baptist church services like most african -american southerners...and in the midst of learning mythology in school, the Christian religion started to sound identical to ancient mytical deities...I was confused but intrigued at the same time....

As an adult, I faced a few traumatical experiences and desperately sought the comfort of religion to explain it all away....it helped, but never solved anything as promised. I felt I was a true die hard christian fanatic until my older brother began having religious debates with me... he challenged my belief system and got me to scratching my head over things that I assumed were solid christian beliefs...

Years later I did watch Zeitgeist and I know some of you are Zeitgeist haters, but I took what was knowledgeble and factual from it, which was the majority of the documentary anyway...and after watching the religion segment, I felt a sense of confirmation about the mythical deity/ religion...but remember I applied my own prior knowledge and research along with it.....

and I was convinced that religions are allegorical hybrids of mythical figures representing a political agenda; government control...

But that only explained religion to me...I still sought a need to answer the queston of mankinds' origin.

After lots of research and applying logistics, I do believe in the alien ancestrial account: the Annunaki DNA mixing.

I believe that the ancients did refer to the Annunaki visitors as 'gods' and worshipped them, but only because they were slaves and assumed they had magical 'powers' because technology was not introduced to them. Ex: if they saw someone being healed, they called it a miracle when it was really advanced medicine or surgery...if they saw someone waking on water, they were explaining flight, being by jet pack or alien aircraft...voices in their heads could have mind control.....and the infamous 'chariots of fire' - UFO's.

I also believe that "God" is more of a term than an individual's name....The fact that you see differents accounts of the main two different gods ( Enki and Enlil) throughout the bible is revealing as well...Ex: the second chapter of Genesis that explains the Garden of Eden discusses the Lord god, and the creation part in the first chapter talks of "god"...this is evident throughout the bible.

So to sum it all up: I definately do not believe in the fairy tale wonderland account of our origin and I believe that Jesus is one of many 'Sun gods'....I don't believe that there is a supernatural diety in the sky named God.

I do believe that the Old Testement, mainly Genesis was written by the ancient Sumerians describing our true origin is true; just interpreted VERY incorrectly...where most believe in one ' god' there is an entire RACE of gods and that we were cloned with Annunaki DNA and Homosapien DNA ( "Let US make mankind in OUR image according to OUR likings")...

So am I truly Atheist?

Thoughts, comments.....

[edit on 1-8-2009 by ButterCookie]

posted on Aug, 1 2009 @ 12:50 PM
link   
The only one who can truly answer that is you. Throughout my short time on Earth, I've had some revelations. I really don't believe in religion. But, I look around me, I look around the environment, when I look at the sky at night, then I realize, that Darwinism, and other scientific explanations are inaccurate. I realize that there is a creator.

I wouldn't account other human's explanations as the truth. Darwin wrote about what he believed, from his own observations. That is even what religion is based on, from someones point of view, or there observations.

We all have different views, and experiences. Therefor many people don't agree. It's your job to make your own truth, with your experiences. But, that's from my point of view, and maybe you should make nothing of it.

posted on Aug, 1 2009 @ 02:17 PM
link   
Yep....I wonder why the label 'atheist' has a negative connotation anyways....and why are the so-called agnostics that I currently know appear confused...they jump back and forward on their belief...

I think they are really just afraid to be different in the public's eye

posted on Aug, 1 2009 @ 02:21 PM
link   
I am an Ignorist

I say that because truly I know nothing, and preach the Gospel of I DON"T KNOW.

Why? Cause I don't, and anybody who tries to tell you they do is wrong pure and simple. Humans are not equipped to understand such a vast concept like a all mighty creator.

The reason behind that is simple. In order to understand the creator, we must first understand all of the creations made by said creator. We have not done that yet, we don't even know what makes us tick really.

So truly, you are what you are, labels suck, which is why I made up my own. It'll come to your eventually, or if your lucky, a dead guy will tell you what it's all about.

~Keeper

posted on Aug, 1 2009 @ 02:31 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

LOL!!!!

I get what you are saying, as I have told people to that if I were to subject myself to any religion, it would certaintly have to be someone that has come back from the dead

posted on Aug, 1 2009 @ 10:02 PM
link   
Technically you could be a theist. One of the definitions for god is "any deified person or object". And the definition for theism is "belief in the existence of a god or gods". Since you believe in a "deified person or object" (the E.T.'s) you could make the case that you're a theist. This might not feel right to you though considering you don't think of them as gods, but if your belief is right and everybody else's beliefs are wrong, then the word 'god' itself may have been completely distorted over the years. In this case, you could call yourself a theist and hold firm in this belief considering everybody else to be wrong about their definition of god.

If you want to know if you're agnostic ask yourself if you have knowledge. An agnostic is (a) without (gnosis) knowledge. There are different kinds of agnostics and agnostics can be an atheist or a theist. You can believe or disbelieve without having direct knowledge.

An atheist is from Greek (a) without (theos) god but now can mean without belief in or rejection of a god or gods.

So what it boils down to is whether or not you consider these E.T.'s gods. Certainly it sounds like you believe they were deified as gods, and by at least one dictionary definition they qualify. So you are an atheist if you don't consider the E.T.'s gods, but you are a theist if you do. It looks like somebody has some deep introspection to do!

[edit on 1-8-2009 by theyreadmymind]

posted on Aug, 2 2009 @ 05:44 AM
link   
reply to post by theyreadmymind

Wow!! Thanks!!

I am going to look at the definition of those words more closer...

For some reason I seem to relate to Atheists more because of the non- belief in the supernatural deity in the sky god......

but you made interesting points tho for me to consider

posted on Aug, 2 2009 @ 05:47 AM
link   
If you believe in supernaturalism, you are NOT an atheist.

Simple enough.

posted on Aug, 2 2009 @ 06:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Kaytagg

Right, as I don't....beings that exisit and visit other planets are not supernatural....

posted on Aug, 2 2009 @ 06:22 AM
link   
If you believe in a "GOD"?? but no longer believe in a organized religion.

You could be a Deist.
www.deism.com...
www.positivedeism.com...
moderndeism.com...

In deism we don't care what you want to call god as long as you believe in a god.

The first principle of deism is clear in that
You shall honor and worship the Creator in a fashion that suits you.

Be it Annunaki, Odin, Zeus, the Flying Spaghetti Monster, ETC

posted on Aug, 2 2009 @ 06:44 AM
link   
I am agnostic.

We will never know 100% for sure if there is or isn't a 'God' and an afterlife until we die.
So why worry about it?

I refuse to abide by any religous creed that mankind has written himself in an effort to control others.

Orgainsed religion is the bane of mankind.

I thoroughly enjoy religous issues with people and am appreciative of other's opinion's, as long as they are well thought out and not just spouting the religous dogma they have been brainwashed into believing.

I enjoy reading, learning about all types of religions and how they have developed and influenced each other and society throughout history.

But I try to live my life by a set of morals and standards I have set myself.
Of course I frequently fail, I am merely human.

But if there is an omnipotent, omniescient being who will judge on whether I am suitable for admittance into some sort of after life Private Members Club come 'Judgement Day' then I'm certain he will not be that conceited that he will judge me on whether I prayed to Mecca enough or said enough Hail Mary's and Our Father's rather the acts and deeds of my life and how I interacted with my fellow human beings.

If 'he' is that conceited then maybe I would prefer the company in 'the other place'.

posted on Aug, 2 2009 @ 12:09 PM
link   
reply to post by ANNED

Ok....now as far as I believe in the Annunaki, they did not seek worship, praise and I do agree organized religion was trumped up by man, later down the road as a tool for control

posted on Aug, 2 2009 @ 12:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Freeborn

I agree with you..... Organized religion was a man-made thing to pyschologically control and install fear....

I don't buy it either

As stated in the last post, the Annunkai wasn't looking for religous beliefs, praises, or worship...

God is again, just a term rather than name

posted on Aug, 2 2009 @ 12:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by ButterCookie
reply to post by Freeborn

I agree with you..... Organized religion was a man-made thing to pyschologically control and install fear....

I don't buy it either

As stated in the last post, the Annunkai wasn't looking for religous beliefs, praises, or worship...

God is again, just a term rather than name

the problem is not whether there is a "god"...it is what the believers in god do to their fellow humans to force belief upon them.

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 05:29 AM
link   
i guess your an atheist

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 11:22 AM
link   
reply to post by daveslaine

I kinda agree....that's it seems...I have friends that claim to be agnostic but then when they get in a bind they say "I wil put it in God's hand and pray"

What's that about

posted on Aug, 4 2009 @ 04:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by ButterCookie
reply to post by daveslaine

I kinda agree....that's it seems...I have friends that claim to be agnostic but then when they get in a bind they say "I wil put it in God's hand and pray"

What's that about

It's called having faith in things unknown.

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 12:49 AM
link   
reply to post by ButterCookie

I will attempt to define the difference between the two. I could be wrong but this is MY understanding of the whole thing.

Atheism
A belief that says we are the end result of a random convergence of proteins and amino acids. No deity can ever exist, nor did one ever exist. There is no afterlife, no such thing as a soul. When we die, we rot and nothing more. We are gone forever. One cannot achieve higher spiritual understanding because there is nothing beyond our existence to understand.

Agnosticism
Acknowledges the possibilities of a spiritual side. Does not follow a set religious path because they can neither prove nor disprove which is correct. Most agnostics believe there is a higher place after this existence but is cautious and skeptical enough to not follow a blind faith.

There. Maybe that can help some.

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 04:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Mr. Toodles

I would say a true agnostic is someone who thinks it is irrelevant whether 'God' exists or not.

There is not enough EVIDENCE either way to make a qualified judgement, so simply forget about it and live your life as you see fit.

If, when you die there is nothing, well, you've lost nothing.

If there is a 'God', well, if he is going to judge you, he is just as likely to judge you on the actual acts and deeds of your life rather than the adherence to one of the countless number of man made mumbo jumbo dogmatic creeds.

Simply, why worry about something that is unprovable until you die?

Atheists and Theists are extremes and can be equally as dogmatic.

A lot of agnostics enjoy religous debate and are willing to consider most opinions and viewpoints.
They may even concede that something is a possibility.
But that's it, a possibility.

Acts and Deeds my friends.

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 09:38 AM
link   
Oh, it might be someone who's seen a ghost or who has had some unexplainable spiritual or paranormal encounters and thinks there might be a God, or they prayed a few times and it seemed to work out sometimes, but they don't necessarily know if anybody has the right book or if anybody has true knowledge about those experiences. Thus agnosticism means "without knowledge" but someone can have experiences and those experiences can lead them to have faith. Also, someone, similar to the OP in this thread, could question whether those experiences were actually God or could they have been some advanced extra terrestrial technology? And once they start to question and admit they really don't know, they become agnostic.

Also a lot of people have their own ideas what God is but they don't fall under any religions so they just call themselves agnostics because they are practically shunned by every religion for not following a strict belief system. Technically, they might not be agnostics.

[edit on 5-8-2009 by theyreadmymind]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join