It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Vicious mosquitoes attacked my son today.

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 10:53 PM
link   
What's up with these mosquitoes? My kids and I were going to play out on the patio for a bit, and my son got jumped by a gang of vicious mosquitoes.

I think the weather has made this area perfect for them to breed...it's been spring like for a few weeks now and lots of rain. This literally "bites".

A few pics. Look at the size of the welps... Poor baby

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/70f67b395d41.jpg[/atsimg]

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/2ce4417c3dfa.jpg[/atsimg]

Oh, by the way, we weren't even out there for 5 minutes.

[edit on 31-7-2009 by Ventessa]

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 10:56 PM
link   
Those are awful.

My mom's developed a reaction to them in the past two years, which is really weird. She gets lichen simplex from every bite.

I used to get bites like those as a kid, now my body doesn't react as badly.

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 10:57 PM
link   
I cannot go outside for less than a minute and have them swarming around me. I feel your son's pain.

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 10:58 PM
link   
reply to post by ravenshadow13

ouch. yeah he's never had welps like this from them before. we've all got bites, and they are horrible. poor little guy got the worst of it though.

[edit on 31-7-2009 by Ventessa]

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 10:59 PM
link   
That is plum scary looking, honestly!

Those are some really nasty looking welts, usually if you spread alcohol on them they go away quickly and don't turn red or itch. I have to say I have never seen a mosquito bite look quite like that!

I haven't been able to enjoy my backyard this year due to the mosquitoes, they are worse than ever, you can only be out for a few minutes and you are covered, unfortunately for me I am alergic to most products that you apply for them and citronella candles just isn't doing it!

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 11:02 PM
link   
reply to post by space cadet

yeah, I was upset when I saw his back. they swelled up like that in less than 5 minutes. I picked him up and ran in the house as soon as I saw those bites on him. I've never seen anything like it.
Mine is pretty big as well, but i only got bit once and it's on my foot of all places. lol.

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 11:15 PM
link   
When I have stayed in Puerto Rico, the bites from the mosquitos there are quite dramatic in the amount of inflamation and weepiness if you aren't acclimated to them. It looks similar to the photos. They also viciously gang up on you if you happen into a swarm. Mostly they prefer to bite around the ankles and calves.

As I understand it in the tropics there, they can carry dengue fever.

The main difference here is the time it takes for them to show up is the better part of a day, not five minutes.

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 11:18 PM
link   
reply to post by EnlightenUp

Well, I don't live in the tropics
I live in Indiana, U.S. I'm used to having mosquitoes around that like to bite...but not like these.

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 11:21 PM
link   
I wondered if this was a hoax so I went looking around online to see if I could find other photos of similar welts. While I did find some big welts none were quite the shade of purple that your sons are.... THAT LOOKS UNREAL.

I am inclined to believe that your son is setting a new record for worst mosquito bite. Seriously your should contact Guinness Records , you have the photos to prove it.

You should also think about taking your son to a clinic. I mean purple is a bad sign.

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 11:25 PM
link   
reply to post by titorite

Oh, that's just the shadows in the pic, his bites aren't purple. I assure you, if they were bad enough, I'd take him to the doctor, but they aren't too terribly bad now. I've put stuff on them to help, and the swelling is going down.

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 11:27 PM
link   
umm........mosquitoe spray.

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 11:28 PM
link   
In some parts of Hawaii we have them really bad... For some reason they hate me. If I am in a group of 10 people they will swarm around me and not even Off works... I don't knowwhats wrong with the ones over here but they must be on steroids or something.

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 11:29 PM
link   
reply to post by themako

I would have sprayed them had I known the things were going to be out that early in the afternoon. They don't usually come out until late evening around here.

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 11:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ventessa

Well, I don't live in the tropics
I live in Indiana, U.S. I'm used to having mosquitoes around that like to bite...but not like these.

That is the interesting part. I was just relaying what it reminded me of while wondering if perhaps some imported critters could have established themselves.

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 11:30 PM
link   
reply to post by paranoiaFTW

Yeah, even if I put off all over us, they still like to bite us. I don't think it works as well as it is supposed to. lol

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 11:32 PM
link   

Hmmm, that's possible. Maybe they moved here from a different climate, because the climates are all changing? I don't know...

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 11:36 PM
link   
Are you sure they were mosquitoes? How do you know?

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 11:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Johnmike

I was out there with him, I saw them on him. I got bit by one myself. Yes they were mosquitoes. I'm sure of that.

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 11:37 PM
link   
Those welts are just awful! If you have tea tree oil it could help with the itching the cooling. Also, my family eats alot of garlic and I was just commenting to my husband the other day that we haven't been bitten by a mosquito for many years.

Anyway, reading your post reminded me of an article I read a couple weeks ago about mosquitos delivering a malaria vaccine. What if your community was a testing ground for the vax bugs and your son is allergic to the GM bugs. It could be possible. My daughter has 5 severe food allergies and she comes from a family who doesn't have allergies and our ancestors grew and consumed the food she's allergic to with no problems. I think it was caused by GM foods.

Or, maybe he has west nile virus. I don't know much about the virus, I just know it was a big deal when I lived in Nebraska five years ago.

Link to mosquito malaria .

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 11:40 PM
link   
reply to post by collietta

I have not heard of that...but thanks for the warning. I'll keep a close eye on him for a while just in case. As for the itching etc...he's taken care of

I'm the kind of mom that leaves no boo boo unkissed.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join