It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Radio stunt 'was child abuse'

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 04:28 AM
link   

Radio stunt 'was child abuse'

www.news.com.au

PROMINENT Australians have called for a national strategy to prevent child abuse and exploitation in the media after a 14-year-old girl was forced on a Sydney radio program to reveal she had been raped.

The stunt on 2Day FM involved strapping the girl to a lie detector test while she was questioned about school, drugs and her sexual experience by the girl's mother and Austereo's Kyle Sandilands and Jackie O.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 04:28 AM
link   
This has been causing a national stir the past couple of days.

Most of you overseas people won't know the hosts. Kyle Sandilands is a straight-up shooter. He says what he thinks and probably doesn't think much before he speaks. He's been the 'bad' judge on Australian Idol and he also co-hosted the last series of Big Brother on TV with Jackie O.

I don't find much talent in the pair of them.

Now, is what they did child abuse? What is the definition of child abuse?

It was definitely poor taste and I don't agree with it in the slightest. The sexual habits of a 14 year-old should not be the subject of a radio talk show.

Slightly off topic, I just read the story 'Sleeping Beauty' to my kid for bedtime. Did you know that she was 16 when she was kissed by the Prince and then they were married with the King's blessing after a party? There's certainly a set of mixed messages that manage to get around...

www.news.com.au
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 04:41 AM
link   
reply to post by tezzajw

I've been listening to discussion about that off & on during today. We've also discussed it at home.

It was a shocker & abusive to that poor girl.

The mother knew what was coming - there appears to be little doubt of that. She's a nasty, nasty peice of work.

I also think the whole premise of a regular segment where parents question their kids via a lie detector on a popular public radio show is extremely sick. They publicly humiliate these kids for fun.

It's sick.

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 04:42 AM
link   
What the hell are those Aussie's doing over there, I forgave them for " Crocodile Dundee in Los Angeles" .... but this case is really pushing it Australia, .. get it together !!

and although i can't say its a definitve case of abuse, it is a clear cut case of "Douchebaggery"
This girls either gonna need alot of psychological counseling, or end up on Girls gone Wild.

[edit on 30-7-2009 by IntastellaBurst]

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 04:49 AM
link   
It was typical cheap-shot, low-brow, shock radio but it really backfired on them.

Kyle's been apologising all day in his typical insincere way.

Was it child abuse though?

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 04:53 AM
link   
reply to post by IntastellaBurst

It get's worse.....

A different radio station has a competition where you have to ring your ex girlfriend or boyfriend & convince them you want to get back together. If you succeed you win a prize.

According to reports today, a young girl was distraught (on the radio) because she thought the "love of her life" really wanted her back & then found it was a stunt on public radio & her boyfriend had just won a laptop computer by tricking her.

Who makes up this crap? Honestly, you just feel like smashing the lot of them.

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 04:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by tezzajw
It was typical cheap-shot, low-brow, shock radio but it really backfired on them.

Kyle's been apologising all day in his typical insincere way.

Was it child abuse though?

Absolutely - child abuse.

She could be getting over this for years.

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 05:01 AM
link   
If I lived in AU I would call some of these Shock Jocks and tell them their wife was just in a horrific accident, .... and I need them to come down to the morgue and identify her head.

What these guys will do for ratings, its pathetic. I love comedy and making fun of things, ... but I never hurt peoples feelings.

Karma is going to date rape these D-bags.

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 05:14 AM
link   
Here's a video.

*snip*

Honestly, how dumb could they get?

"I got raped when I was twelve years old."
"And is that the only experiance you've had?".

that was the most stoopid comment (kyle) anyone could make after someone confessed to being raped .he should listen to playback and see what an idiot he sounded... totally disregarding that she was raped, it sounded like he wanted to continue on about her other sex life..should have stopped it right then and there

- voyeurbug

I HOPE THE MOTHER IS READING THIS. She's an idiot. Of COURSE shes going to be going down hill after being RAPED. Stupid ignorant *snip*..she does NOT deserve to be a mother if she does this to her FOURTEEN YEAR OLD DAUGHTER!!!!

- Libbia16

KYLE SHOULD BE SACKED.

[edit on 30/7/2009 by C0bzz]

Mod Edit: Removed video clip due to profanity.

[edit on 7/30/2009 by maria_stardust]

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 05:22 AM
link   
Kyle is a flog for respondng the way he did. His comment shows his comlpete lack of intelligence and understanding of rape crisis issues.
But the mother is the problem here.
Who guides their child into adulthood through a stupid radio station?
The mother knew she had been raped, and said at the beginning she "thought yes she had sex" The mother was the one placing the victim on trial for being raped, implyng that her teenage daughter was promiscuous rather than in need of serious counselling and support.

The mother is a Bogan from hell.
Kyle is a Bogan too.
And I say, turn on triple JJJ

[edit on 30-7-2009 by zazzafrazz]

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 05:28 AM
link   
Kyle is a knob. He is the epitomy of dooshbaggery and the King of Complete Idiocy. Jackie O isn't much better - I think most of Australia knows she was only hired because she has a pretty face and a somewhat sexy voice - but there aint much else between those pretty ears.

I believe they have gone WAY too far this time. The whole idea of using tactics of humiliation and abusing peoples trust just to get ratings is an absolute disgrace and this incident should serve as a catalyst for it's banning. Oh and it's well overdue for Kyle to be shown the door and be given a good kick in the ass as he leaves, just for good measure.

Having said all of that I also believe the girls mother to be just as much at fault for not only putting her in a situation that could potentially abuse her, but also not having dealt with the fact her daughter was raped when she first found out.

[edit on 30/7/2009 by Kryties]

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 05:31 AM
link   
I have heard alot of people talking about this and having a go a the host.

Why people are blaming them i have no idea, Its clearly the mothers fault, she knew her daughter was rapped why would you ask her that question on national radio??? why would you wanna embarrass your kids on the radio in the first place??
Its the mother who needs counciling and she should be in trouble for child abuse not Kyle and Jackie O, all they did was organise the competition, If the daughter just said "Yes i have had sex" instead of "You know i was rapped" there would have been no backlash at all on the host, everybody would be pointing fingers at the mother and daughter for underage sex.

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 05:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by wycky

Why people are blaming them i have no idea, Its clearly the mothers fault, she knew her daughter was rapped why would you ask her that question on national radio??? why would you wanna embarrass your kids on the radio in the first place??
Its the mother who needs counciling and she should be in trouble for child abuse not Kyle and Jackie O, all they did was organise the competition, If the daughter just said "Yes i have had sex" instead of "You know i was rapped" there would have been no backlash at all on the host, everybody would be pointing fingers at the mother and daughter for underage sex.

I believe the people who set up the whole scenario are just as much to blame.

The whole basis of the segment is to humiliate people in public.

All staff associated with the decision to run this segment should be dismissed from their jobs, including the appalling hosts.

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 05:46 AM
link   

And rightly so... Kyle is over-rated and talentless. He looks for innuendo when it's not there. Did you see him hosting the Big Brother TV show? I'm a fairly open-minded person and not that easily offended, but I cringed at some of the things that Kyle was saying in what was supposed to be a 'family hour' of TV programming. He looked desperate.

There's a time for smut and a laugh, but Kyle lacked tact.

Talking with a 14 year-old girl on air was another display of tactless antics to score ratings.

Fire them.

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 05:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Sam60

Could not agree more even though I like Jacky . I have deleted what I would have said about kyle .

If we as workers stuff up and as they have big time and comprised the credibility of their Boss as they have done we would be down at centerlink with a hood over our face.

Thanks

Ocker

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 06:52 AM
link   

Did you see him hosting the Big Brother TV show? I'm a fairly open-minded person and not that easily offended, but I cringed at some of the things that Kyle was saying in what was supposed to be a 'family hour' of TV programming. He looked desperate.

Oh god I remember that. I remember cringing every time Kyle opened his big mouth (and several times I thought I noticed Jackie O cringing - perhaps she isn't as bad as she appears.........nah......). It was watching Kyle flounder and try to make himself sound cool that convinced me completely of just how much I detest him, and just how poor a host he really is.

Fire them.

How good would it be to see them front up to Donald Trump or Alan Sugar and get told "You're Fired" then pause and replay the exact moment when Kyles heart begins to shatter......

/end fantasy.

[edit on 30/7/2009 by Kryties]

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 07:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sam60

I believe the people who set up the whole scenario are just as much to blame.

The whole basis of the segment is to humiliate people in public.

All staff associated with the decision to run this segment should be dismissed from their jobs, including the appalling hosts.

The people who came up with the idea are giving their listeners what they wanna hear, otherwise Kyle and Jackie wouldn't be as popular as they are, the public likes this stuff thats why they come up with these stupid segments for their shows, nearly every morning when i come into work "aww you should have seen what this guy said to his Girlfriend on the radio this morning it was so funny or embarrassing i felt so sorry for her" and the fact is that they (listeners) love it.

What makes it worse is how low people will stoop for money - "yeah i'll do it, i know my daughter was rapped, so ill ask her questions about sex on one of Australia's most popular radio networks.

I agree they take advantage of people out for a quick buck, but if people are stupid enough to do it that's their problem.

You can't blame the gun for killing someone its the person pulling the trigger

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 07:33 AM
link   

Now, is what they did child abuse? What is the definition of child abuse?

It was definitely poor taste and I don't agree with it in the slightest. The sexual habits of a 14 year-old should not be the subject of a radio talk show.

I'm sure you don't really need a definition of child abuse and just want to discuss the issue, but here it is anyway:

en.wikipedia.org...

Child abuse is the physical and/or psychological/emotional mistreatment of children. In the United States, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) define child maltreatment as any act or series of acts or commission or omission by a parent or other caregiver that results in harm, potential for harm, or threat of harm to a child.[1] Most child abuse occurs in a child's home, with a smaller amount occurring in the organizations, schools or communities the child interacts with. There are four major categories of child abuse: neglect, physical abuse, psychological/emotional abuse, and sexual abuse.

Psychological abuse, also known as emotional abuse, which can involve belittling or shaming a child, inappropriate or extreme punishment and the withholding of affection.

I don't see how anyone could ever say that this wasn't child abuse. Period. My question is, where is the father? If he was involved in this decision he should also be charged with child abuse. If not, he should definitely sue for custody because his daughter IS being abused - not just this one time either.

I would venture to say that this "mother" is abusing her daughter on an ongoing basis at home too. That is quite evident in her making the decision to bring her daughter on this radio show and subject her to this distress. The mother, the father (assuming he knew about it), and the show host - all guilty of abuse.

They conspired to subject this girl to what they knew ahead of time would result in her distress. Poor girl - raped twice - once by whoever physically raped her and then again mentally by the very people we are supposed to be able to trust with our lives.

I'm disgusted and I really, really do hope they take her away from her "mother" - she obviously does not know how to parent and should not be entrusted with this soul.

[edit on 30/7/2009 by Iamonlyhuman]

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 07:49 AM
link   
the mother clearly needs some sense beating into her - i am normally loathe to avvocate violence against women - but exceptions must be made on occasion

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 08:09 AM
link   
It looks like the degenerates haven't only taken over in America. This filth on the radio has it's many followers. I had a friend who thinks this kind of thing is funny and entertaining. There seems to be more who agree with him than don't.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join