It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Radio stunt 'was child abuse'

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 08:24 AM
link   
As yellow journalism spreads across the globe, we weep for the demise of human dignity.

Way to teach a generation how to behave!

This is a prime example of media MAKING a story. No WAY you're gonna convince me that these people, producers, writers, hosts, didn't know EXACTLY what they were doing, and the marketing department is congratulating them as we speak.

It's about ratings. Next stop, unbridled violence in the media.... brought to you by the good ol' folks at Monsanto and Murdoch, "We own you."

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 08:45 AM
link   
This is really sad.

Ha my dad actually knew Kyle when they both worked at Channel 7 in the town where i grew up.. i got the impression that he wasn't as much of an *snip* as he is now.
I was only reading about it before - i mean, what was the point of it all?? Why were they discussing the sex-life of a teenager on air?? What *snip* are they feeding radio audiences these days?!
The hosts are full of *snip* anyway, they should be sacked for being sh-tty talent in the first place!!

The way they handled it, particularly Kyle by the sounds of it, was absolutely appalling - could you imagine the embarrassment of the 14 yr old girl?? I noticed in the news article that "there was genuine shock", naturally, but what i don't get is that he felt that and yet blurted out, "Right, is that the only experience you've had?" after the girl's mother asked her if she was sexually active
and smiled about it
...??

When her mother asked if she was sexually active the girl replied: "I've already told you the story about this ... and don't look at me and smile because it's not funny."

au.news.yahoo.com...

This is obviously an invasion of rights and in the end it all comes down to the fact that Kyle Sandilands and Jackie O are talentless idiots who didn't know what they were doing. I mean, i know the whole aim of the game is to get more listeners on your side but you don't have to be baboon *snip* while doing it.

Mod Edit: Profanity/Circumvention Of Censors – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 7/30/2009 by maria_stardust]

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 08:49 AM
link   
Those of you commenting without hearing what actually happened, go and play the tape because the media spin on this is massive. And play the tape for the following mornings show as well.

Lets clear a few things up.

No one forced the girl to do the show, if she didn't want to go on the show she could of walk out at anytime, that's her right as an Australian citizen. She also new what type of questions were going to be asked of her.

Both the mother and daughter were interviewed before they were accepted on the show and they didn't say a word about it. If they had they never would of made it on the show.

The mother wrote the questions, not the hosts of the show and she new full well what was going to happen. Maybe she works for one of the other radio stations, trying to make them look bad?

When the girl said she was raped both hosts were in shock, they didn't know what to do, yeah one of them said something stupid. I guarantee most people here wouldn't have reacted much better if they were put on the spot like these 2 were.

No doubt I'll get flamed for this one, but I really don't care...

Having worked with quite a few young rape victims over the years I don't think she sounded like someone who had been raped, she sounded like a little brat who likes to make trouble for her mum and seek attention. In any case the police are looking into it, so if she is lying it will most likely come out. It was quite clear that her mother didn't believe her and I honestly don't believe the girl would have ever agreed to go on the show if she had been raped, she new what she was going to be asked.

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 09:05 AM
link   
Here is the link for the Kyle and Jackie O morning show. You can take a listen to them discussing the issue:

www.2dayfm.com.au...

And the actual audio here:
media.news.com.au...

This whole thing is BS. Despite the claim that this is not exactly as bad as the media is implying it to be, why would they put themselves in such a position in the first place?? It's cheap horse crap that they're trying to sell as entertainment.
I can see from both sides how Kyle's crass comment wasn't actually as crass as the media would have everyone believe, how the girl could have been putting up a show, evidenced in the manner in which she delivered the rape allegation and was a trying at attention, but I can also see how it's possibly just her way of getting the truth out there.
I listened to the original audio after realising that I had been primarily lead by "media opinion and representation" and it is clear that there was shock in the air following the girl's 'revelation' and that the hosts seemed genuinely apologetic.

But seriously, what people will do for entertainment these days. . .

[edit on 30/7/09 by pretty_vacant]

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 09:51 AM
link   
Radio is "theater of the mind", so how do you know the whole shebang wasn't just a setup?
It served it's ultimate purpose, everyone is talking about them now, probably many thousands of new listeners, and I'll bet ratings are through the roof.

We have a few infamous shock jocks on this side of the pond who do the same type of things, Opie and Anthony, and Howard Stern to name a few, who believe the old adage, "any publicity is good publicity."

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 09:59 AM
link   
reply to post by SG-1-9er

cannot speak for anyone else - but i did listen to the MP3 - hence my bile was directed at the mother

howver i am amazed that someone who proffeses to having worked with victims would form a judgement on the girls honesty / integrity - however tentative from such a short clip

there is no set or ` right ` reaction or response to any situation - you should know that

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 10:08 AM
link   
reply to post by IntastellaBurst

A star for you. That is a great idea.

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 10:08 AM
link   
reply to post by ignorant_ape

Hey I'm not saying she didn't get raped, I could be totally off the mark but we have to look at the possibility and I cant for the life of me understand why the mother or the girl would go on the show, at the very least the mother had to know this would happen. Nothing about this adds up...

[edit on 30/7/09 by SG-1-9er]

[edit on 30/7/09 by SG-1-9er]

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 10:18 AM
link   
It adds up just fine if you consider that the mother has a personality disorder or is a self-centered narcissist. Then it makes perfect sense.

Originally posted by SG-1-9er

Consider yourself flamed. Just because someone isn't a crying weepy mess doesn't mean it didn't happen. Some people have more self-control then others.

She was TWELVE. That's is rape is just about any place that isn't barely out of the cave.

You are another apologist for raping teenagers because you find them difficult.

The child may be free to go, but she is still a child which means that she is open to manipulation by adults. Like her mother.

The radio hosts should have ended it right there. The Mother should be taken in a back alley and beaten for her callous stupidity, and the girl should be taken by social services so that she can get access to the programs and therapy she should have had from day one.

[edit on 2009/7/30 by Aeons]

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 10:24 AM
link   
reply to post by SG-1-9er

Not necessarily, I think. This kid just screams typical spoilt, whinging, full-of-herself teenager, you can read it in the tone and attitude of her voice. It's possible that the mother was in denial about it all, the whole rape ordeal, and may have (however naively) been expecting a short "yes" or "no" from her daughter when she raised the question of her sexual activity (on live radio
).

I couldn't say whether the rape allegation is true or not, but as for the mother not knowing this issue would definitely come up, i can see how it's possible she didn't.
But, then again, why would you play with fire??

[edit on 30/7/09 by pretty_vacant]

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 10:28 AM
link   
reply to post by pretty_vacant

She screams teenager who is being raised by a douchebag, still has the will to gain Mom-Douchebag's approval, while having enough sense in her brain to realize Mom is a Douchebag. I'd sound like I was annoying, and disrespectful of this "woman" too.

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 10:44 AM
link   
reply to post by Aeons

How the eff can you so readily blame this girl's mother?? You don't know diddily squat about the facts of this case. The police have only begun to investigate it themselves.

Yer, i get the idea that she is a troublesome kid probably has everything to do with the fact that she was raped - if that indeed is a fact at all. But what if her mother turns out to be less negligent in this situation?? Possibly due to some mental illness she's been enduring. She didn't notify the police that the rape of her teenage daughter had finally been exposed. It's possible her judgement of this event was clouded due to a situation such as this - it's slightly extreme but possible, absolutely.

What makes you so certain the 14 yr old is being manipulated by her mother??
You obviously hadn't noticed this, but in the original audio recording, it was the 14 yr old who was openly acting like a douche. Who in their right mind would admit on air that they had been raped when they were 12?! No body in the right state of mind is going to be that forthright on live national radio about something so heart-wrenchingly personal and painful.

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 01:33 PM
link   
Forcing anyone to reveal such a highly personal and devastating incident, even to just one other person, is an abuse, no matter what the person's age. That this girl was only 14, and was humiliated very publicly, adds to the criminality of this act.

If this isn't child abuse, then I don't know what would be considered child abuse.

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 01:51 PM
link   
reply to post by pretty_vacant

actually, many people with boundary issues stemming from being sexually assaulted while young would be EXACTLY that forthcoming.

And yes, most teenagers are douches. The Mother is the Queen of Douchebaggery. Because, and you miss this part apparently, SHE IS AN ADULT.

[edit on 2009/7/30 by Aeons]

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 04:19 PM
link   
Uhhh this is just wrong. Even if this girl wasn't raped they shouldn't be discussing a teenagers sex life on the radio... WTF is wrong with them? The mother is a stupidass too for even bringing her daughter on there. This is just disgusting and wrong. They have these kind of shows in the states too like Howard Stern and stuff and I admit when I was like 16-18 I found that stuff funny but not really anymore. Any adults that find that stuff funny are childish as hell, imo all you have to do is listen to the people that call into these shows to see how dumb most people that like this stuff are.

posted on Jul, 30 2009 @ 09:35 PM
link   
Ugh...and Australian Radio sinks to a new low. Whatever happened to the seven second delay? Does that security measure even exist anymore? This kind of rubbishy broadcasting is why I made the switch to triple J many years ago.
Ironically, in Australia the talk is about Kyle's response to the girls rape statement and also the fact that her being sexually active at this age is illegal....when really what should be focused on is the teens mental state due to the rape and its consequences as well as the culprit ie; the rapist.

Come on Australia, pull your socks up and get your priorities straight!!

I also think that those who compare this stunt to the Chaser boys antics have not thought this through. One was a skit - albeit a rather tasteless one - and the other is a crime.

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 04:51 AM
link   
Incase you didn't know, the mother dragged her daughter through this to win tickets to a pink concert.

here's a little audio I like. it show there true douchbaggery. unrelated to the above article, and a few years old.
www.youtube.com...

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 05:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by thestink
Incase you didn't know, the mother dragged her daughter through this to win tickets to a pink concert.

here's a little audio I like. it show there true douchbaggery. unrelated to the above article, and a few years old.
www.youtube.com...

Jay brained 'em

posted on Jul, 31 2009 @ 04:21 PM
link   
Here's a brief update......

They're seriously considering throwing Sandilands off Australian Idol.

That will be a good move.

www.smh.com.au...

posted on Aug, 3 2009 @ 04:35 PM
link   
They have cancelled Sandilands radio show & thrown him off Australian Idol

www.smh.com.au...

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join