It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is Jupiter didnt get hit by meteor?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 11:49 PM
link   
what if something else is going on with Jupiter?
did any offical scientisits or w/e agency coem forward and say thats defintly waht happened?

posted on Jul, 28 2009 @ 12:21 AM
link   
Technically speaking, a meteor is only something in Earth's atmosphere. But yes, something hit Jupiter. Either a comet or an asteroid, no way of knowing which.

www.wired.com...

posted on Jul, 28 2009 @ 12:22 AM
link   
well i think that it is interesting that since the first day it was announced that it was struck, the scar that appeared has TRIPLED in size.

What the heck hit it?

www.spaceweather.com... has a story about it on the front page right now.

[edit on 28-7-2009 by Jomina]

posted on Jul, 28 2009 @ 12:49 AM
link   
ok so it wasnt a meteor

but the thing i was wondering was, waht if something didnt hit jupiter, but rather wahts going on is a result of something happening on/in jupiter that orignated there.

posted on Jul, 28 2009 @ 01:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Jomina

The expansion doesn't seem to be much of a mystery.

JUPITER'S IMPACT CLOUD EXPANDS: Jupiter's impact cloud is expanding. On July 19th, when it was discovered by amateur astronomer Anthony Wesley, the dark mark near Jupiter's south pole was barely visible in backyard telescopes. Five days later Wesley photographed the impact cloud again and found that it had approximately tripled in size: High-resolution images from the Hubble Space Telescope reveal what's happening: turbulence and jet streams in Jupiter's atmosphere are causing the cloud to spread out. The vast impact site is now tens of thousands of times wider than the 100m-class comet or asteroid that created it.

www.spaceweather.com...

Shoemaker-Levy put some nasty bruises on Jupiter too.

posted on Jul, 28 2009 @ 03:19 AM
link   
This thing is so bizarre/alien.....Reminds me sooo much like the movie 2010 a space odyssey....Where there was an anomaly that was near Jupiter....then it slams in Jupiter....then the anomalous object (monolith) begins to "expand" in mass.....

In so doing creates a second sun.....And now The impact on Jupiter is "expanding"....I expected this when I first found out......but the explanation is just the "jet streams" are just expanding the impact cloud....
Yes interesting....

Oh, the above poster has info.....

I also feel that there will be more comet/asteroid activity in the near future....this is just the begging.....

[edit on 28-7-2009 by GOTZEUS]

posted on Jul, 28 2009 @ 04:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Yea I know SL-9 made one heck of a black eye on Jupiter for sure.

What I was questioning is just what it is that hit it. I thought it interesting how the mechanics of jupiter's atmosphere is reacting to it. It's pretty cool and intriguing at the same time

At least to geeks like me lol

posted on Jul, 28 2009 @ 03:43 PM
link   
reply to post by GOTZEUS

Well, you won't have to worry about a 2nd sun. I checked into those theories, and it turns out Jupiter doesn't have near enough mass to become a star, or even a brown dwarf. The smallest known star is like 70 times the mass of Jupiter. And I think it was theoretical that it could be like as small as 63 times the mass of Jupiter.

Lower than that and you get into brown dwarfs, and you still need like 20 times the mass of Jupiter to get that.

Our sun makes up like 99% of the mass in our solar system or something crazy like that.

posted on Jul, 28 2009 @ 07:08 PM
link   
Out of interest.. how come they didnt see whatever it was coming? Or is that a usual thing for them not to see comets/asteroids when they're that far away?

posted on Jul, 28 2009 @ 07:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Bluebelle

Comet Shoemaker-Levy had been orbitting Jupiter for at least a couple of decades before anyone noticed it. In my opinion, yeah, it's more the exception than the rule when astronomers pick up on these things. But give them some credit, it's a helluva a lot of objects to track and a big sky.

posted on Jul, 28 2009 @ 07:51 PM
link   
ya for sure, but it seems more liekly more will be missed than caught.
i was thinking maybe that "scar" is a result of a super volcano or some other kind of atmospheric disturbance, rather than an impact zone.

posted on Jul, 28 2009 @ 07:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Charis

Ahh I see.. just got the impression that we should have seen it judging by the number of people who've started putting on their tin foil conspiracy hats

But yea, probably a good job they didnt see it beforehand, otherwise it would have give rise to a whole new bunch of 'OMG IS THIS NIBIRU?????' type threads!

posted on Jul, 28 2009 @ 10:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
Technically speaking, a meteor is only something in Earth's atmosphere. But yes, something hit Jupiter. Either a comet or an asteroid, no way of knowing which.

www.wired.com...

OR a non-disclosed man-made probe.
no way of knowing which.

-

top topics

join