It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Biden Says Weakened Russia Will Bend to U.S.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 10:17 AM
link   

online.wsj.com

Vice President Joe Biden said in an interview that Russia's economy is "withering," and suggested the trend will force the country to make accommodations to the West on a wide range of national-security issues, including loosening its grip on former Soviet republics and shrinking its vast nuclear arsenal.

Mr. Biden said he believes Russia's economic problems are part of a series of developments that have contributed to a significant rethinking by Moscow of its international self-interest. The geographical proximity of the emerging nuclear programs in Iran and North Korea is also likely
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 10:17 AM
link   
Here he goes again!!

Right after Obama tries to patch up the US relationship with Russia, Biden sends them another zinger.

The problem is, like the US durring the first oil boom, Russia is selling oil to a large portion of the world.

The US gets their oil from the Middle East and just about everyone else gets it from Russia.

Their economy depends on their oil sales, which as we've all seen, prices are going back up.

Is it just me, or is Biden biting the bear trying to get it to bite back?

online.wsj.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 10:37 AM
link   
Why is America so concerned about bending nations too their will? I'm not a huge fan or Russia but when America starts telling other countries to obey it's worrying. We are sitting ducks for the NWO when there are no strong and independent nations left. Much easier to control one government than many.

[edit on 25-7-2009 by Jacob08]

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 10:59 AM
link   
reply to post by breakingdradles

he must be living in fantasy land
I don't see Russia bending over at all, they are the biggest country in terms of landmass

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 11:03 AM
link   
Good cop bad cop routine

Maybe Biden is saying exactly what Obama wants him to say. But since Obama is supposed to like everybody so everybody likes us in return, he is limited to what he can say.

Begs to question why Obama picked Biden as his VP in the first place?

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 11:11 AM
link   
reply to post by jam321

I have to agree with what you are saying. I find it hard to believe that most of Biden's statements are not planned. If they did not want Biden to say the things he has said then I believe they would have put him on the bench by now. The question that I have is what propose do these comments serve? It seems as if a comment such as this one would anger Russia, so what propose does it serve. From the outside it may seem like a mistake but I would be willing to believe there is something more that does not catch the eye.

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 11:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by breakingdradles

Who's Biden trying to kid?

Russia is 'weakened' but has Biden taken a look at what America looks like these days? We aren't even close to being strong anymore. Not only are we failing, but Obama is pushing us over the edge. He's breaking our backs, our banks, our hearts, our standing (Obama's apology tour), and disarming us faster than you can blink your eyes.

Who is Biden trying to sell this to?
Hope it's not us. Cuz' we aidn't buying it!

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 11:15 AM
link   
I just realized that Biden is this generations' Dan Quayle.

Good luck America, you're going to need it.

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 11:22 AM
link   
Vice President Biden what the heck are you thinking? Are you trying to start another cold war? This man needs to keep his mouth shut because he is just inciting Russia to take a more aggressive approach in relations to it's former Soviet satellite states in Eastern Europe.

What are they serving this man in his Cheerios at the White House? He just keeps on spouting idiotic rhetoric concerning world affairs. Does he want war in Eastern Europe and other parts surrounding Russia? Russia isn't going to sit back and allow this man to continue spouting an offensive posture toward them in world affairs.

He must not be aware that Russia has expansive energy reserves, and that alone, should make them as formidable as they once were. Yet, he continues to play "tit for tat," with Russia. Give Russia a reason to escalate their military presence and resource production and then we have a major head ache.

[edit on 25-7-2009 by Jakes51]

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 11:31 AM
link   
I think Biden needs to come over to Europe and see how much power Russia has over here. Russia can cut off Europe's supply of oil/gas as it did temporarily this year in January with Ukraine; the effects being felt as far away as France and Italy.

While this does not affect the US in any way it demonstrates that Russia has an expanded power base and monopoly on oil in certain parts of the world. Despite its Economy "withering" it still has a very powerful geostrategic position and Russia won't move an inch while it has the E.U at its heels and dominance over certain countries in the Middle East.

The risk of starting a cold war, if thats Biden's plan, is that America will stand alone as Europe cannot afford to risk it.

[edit on 25/7/2009 by Persicoana]

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 11:47 AM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

Hi Flyers/
I wonder if Politics is like this all around the world...

Motormouth Joe Biden - Warmonger,Wordmonger And Political Hit Man By Webster G. Tarpley
And here...And HERE~

ICXC NIKA
helen

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 11:48 AM
link   
There are still plenty of reasons to fear the might of the Russians. America is bogged down in two expensive wars, and its economy is shattered and running massive deficits with no end in sight. Biden has a lot of gall to be taking jabs at the Russians right now.

He's either a complete looney-tune, or it's a good cop-bad cop routine. I am tending to think the latter - That Obama is playing the nice guy to their face, and Biden is taking the strong man role. Either way, it's a dangerous game to be playing right now, as Russia is no weak enemy. I certainly wouldn't recommend provoking them right now.

Perhaps it's just a diversion from our crappy economy. Maybe they think they can reignite the Cold War to kickstart the economic engine in this country.

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 11:52 AM
link   
Really? Cause I read a headline that said "Finn1916 says Biden don't get the russians to bomb us"

Is he not thinking, is he that stupid?

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 12:45 PM
link   
whatever the purpose was of this remark, it is not reflective of anything approaching reality. maybe he's mixed up russia and the us with some facebook game he's playing. considering the condition the US is in, why on earth would russia or indeed anybody else "bend to our will" though maybe he means that our will is to go around apologizing to everybody and giving away money that we borrow from the chinese.

though this administrations is very big on making statements that in no way reflect reality. the other night we learned in the press conference that the economic crisis is over, we're in recovery, and it's only jobs that will lag a few years behind. we are gold that transparency is a priority while everything is hidden. giant omnibus bills with noble sounding titles are passed by house and senate unread. so if we decode the message to mean the exact opposite of the pretend meaning, then we can assume that russia is not particularly respectful of our current power position in the world but is hoping to pick up chunks on ebay after the collapse.

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 12:49 PM
link   
You guys are pretty silly to think that the comments being made if real are exactly the comments that he was told to make. Everything is very well planned out when your at that level.

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 04:29 PM
link   
maybe, but maybe they are just a bunch of jerks consumed by greed who make just as mistakes as the rest of us. maybe the massive power they've accumulated over the centuries has insulated them from the consequences of their stupidity. maybe we're going to see them face the same consequences from the collapse of this golden goose the USA as the rest of us.

honestly, i think we give them too much credit.

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 07:56 PM
link   
The more I hear about this man the more I think he is a complete Idiot, before he goes bating other super powers on their "withering" economy maybe he should take a look at his own.

This video shows you just how bad the US ecconomy is, now I know the whole world is in the cack financially at the moment but this is just mind blowing.

www.youtube.com...

Could it be that Biden is pissed because the US dollar is not Russia’s basic reserve currency anymore. The euro-based share of reserve assets of Russia’s Central Bank increased to the level of 47.5 percent as of January 1, 2009 and exceeded the investments in dollar assets, which made up 41.5 percent.

And to make matter worse, once again China and Russia are calling out for a NEW currency to be created as the WORLDS reserve currency, granted China has said they will not pull away from the dollar "in the short term".

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 08:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jacob08
Why is America so concerned about bending nations too their will? I'm not a huge fan or Russia but when America starts telling other countries to obey it's worrying.

Agreed. Sounds like neo-con fascism. Who would of thought it?

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 08:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by jam321

Begs to question why Obama picked Biden as his VP in the first place?

It's the Dan Quayle method. Find a VP that is so frighteningly stupid that no assasin in his right mind would ever pull a trigger on a president.

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 08:29 PM
link   
Having Joe Biden as VP was a smart plan. No one in their right mind would want him to replace Obama. I think it would be fun to have Putin invite Biden to Russia and then kick his ass and watch Biden bend over puking and apologizing

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join