It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Biden Says Weakened Russia Will Bend to U.S.

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 25 2009 @ 08:43 PM
link   
Russia is undergoing some economic problems at the moment, but if Biden or anyone else in Obama's administration thinks that this will force Russia to "bend" to US - they are deeply mistaken. Russia has survived much more serious problems in the past century, and yet persevered to recover from them every time.

Just during the past two decades Russia overcame two immense hurdles, next to which the current economic crisis is small bump on the road. One - the disolution of the USSR and ensuing political and social chaos which almost tore Russia apart. Two - the total collapse of Russian economy and complete devaluation of the Russian currency in 1998. One decade after the economic collapse, Russia managed to double its GDP, repay all federal debt, and accumulate enough government surplus to last through the current crisis.

So if anyone seriously believes that this current economic hurdle will force Russia to beg at US' feet - they are in for a disappointment. Russia has nowhere near the amount of debt that the US government has, even if compared to as a percentage of total GDP. Russia is also almost entirely self reliant, and has more than enough resources to meet all of its needs for many decades to come. The Russian military is also on a rebound with major new projects and major reforms on the way - and its funding is rising despite the crisis. Overall Russia should weather this crisis fairly well, and it has little impact on Russian foreign policy, military capability, and geopolitical influence.

Now I know Biden has an agenda to push on his Ukraine/Georgia visit - so his statements should obviously be taken in that context. His main goal seems to be to assure America's puppet leaders of those countries that US is still behind them and that they should not worry too much about big bad Russia. But no matter how idiotic Biden's statements are - the fact is that they still reflect Obama's policies.

Ok, understandable. But now what the hell are America's current foreign policy priorities? What was that bull# with the "Reset Button"? Obama's current foreign policy seems to be to tell everyone that US is their friend, and then do nothing to prove this friendship. On the contrary US is telling other countries behind Russia's back that Russia is a pathetic evil dictatorship. This is rather embarrassing as far as foreign policy goes, and shows just how low the US has sunk.

If US still wants to face off against Russia and play retarted Cold War games - then go ahead and announce it already. Stop with all the "reset button" crap - everyone can see right through the administration's priorities and Obama is not fooling anyone and making a fool of himself.

[edit on 25-7-2009 by maloy]

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 10:25 AM
link   
Reading up some more on what Biden said during his recent visits, I think Obama's administration should shut this guy up and not let him blabber on in public. He seems to have a tendency to speak his mind with little regard to political and diplomatic effects of his speeches. Russia is pretty angered by this "Russia will bend" speech, and this idiot is doing irrepairable damage to US-Russia relations. Obama should keep this moron on a short leash, and let someone else do the public talking.

link   
triple post

[edit on 26-7-2009 by maloy]

link   
triple post

[edit on 26-7-2009 by maloy]

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 11:47 AM
link   
reply to post by maloy

I think both of these clowns are saying stupid things. many things come out of biden's mouth that we can hardly believe he uttered, but obama said some pretty stupid things this week. first the remark about the cambridge police acted stupidly, admitting he knew little about the situation. his idea of "taking it back" is to invite the black professor and the white officer to the white house for a beer. his personality will make it all better. excuse me that is a pretty arrogant approach. obama thinks he can say anything he wants about race no matter how inappropriate because he is black. and obama still believes the police "overreacted" to arrest someone breaking into a house, who was belligerent upon being confronted by police.

next unbelievable remark was in the same press conference: doctors make decisions about medical treatment based on their bottom line. (multiple sore throats lead to tonsillectomy because it brings in more money). and he continues to stand by that statement. he does not get that it is insulting to all doctors, that he has no clue how the system works (most pediatricians don't do tonsillectomies).

do these guys not know any better or are they doing it on purpose to demostrate that they can say anything and we'll take it and even believe it.

[edit on 26-7-2009 by earlywatcher]

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 12:34 PM
link   
We have enough problems to worry about without Biden trying to reignite the coldwar.Like children american vice presidents should be seen and not heard.

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 12:34 PM
link   
We have enough problems to worry about without Biden trying to reignite the coldwar.Like children american vice presidents should be seen and not heard.

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 08:23 PM
link   
reply to post by breakingdradles

Is it just me, or is Biden biting the bear trying to get it to bite back?

Biden is just being Biden. He's not the sharpest knife in the drawer and he has a tendency to speak before thinking. Another of Obama's great choices in life.

But, most of what Biden said is in retrospect the truth. Biden is supposed to exercise political skill not geopolitical accuracy!

But do you tell the Bear that they are destined to slowly whither and decline to irrelevancy? Russians have a bad case of hubris generally so you try not to insult them. At least everyone but Biden!

But the problems Russia are facing is:

Decreasing population. They only have 150,000,000 and falling. Decreasing work force, decreasing troup strength, noone to support the increasing older population.

Little in the way of innovation. Ever heard of a hot new Russian computer of gadget?? Russia industry is old industry, their only strength is oil, gas and some minerals.

The US has an immigration problem. Russia has nearly no immigration. Who would ever choose to live in Russia?? I've been there and was so happy to get back to the west. Such a depressing place!

Old military, old weapons, old military strategy and technique.

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 08:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by plumranch
But the problems Russia are facing is:

Decreasing population. They only have 150,000,000 and falling. Decreasing work force, decreasing troup strength, noone to support the increasing older population.

Actually Russian demographic problem is improving and estimates indicate that Russian population began to slowly grow in 2008 or at least didn't drop. And stagnant population is not always a negative thing - seeing as how many Asian and Latin American countries are suffering from overpopulation and resulting concerns.

Little in the way of innovation. Ever heard of a hot new Russian computer of gadget??

So Russia doesn't make a lot of consumer goods - which leads you to conclude that Russia makes no high-tech innovations? I suppose you judge how "advanced" countries are by how many toys like I-Pods and Apple notebooks they come up with.

What about space industry - where Russian rocket and satellite technologies are among the best and most utilized in the world? What about heave machinery and industrial equipment? What military and defense technology? On top of that virtually all global high-tech companies like Intel, Microsoft, Boeing, Airbus, and many others have design and engineering bureaus in Russia.

Russia industry is old industry, their only strength is oil, gas and some minerals.

And much more - but you wouldn't care to research it.

The US has an immigration problem. Russia has nearly no immigration.

Actually Russia has over 100,000 immigrants entrering the country annually, mostly from Asian countries.

Who would ever choose to live in Russia??

How about: the Chinese, the Indians, the Georgians, the Tajiks, the Azerbaijanis, the Kazakh, the Turkmen, the Uzbek, the Ukrainians, the Koreans, among others.

But you are right - everyone in the world only wants to live in la-la land that is the US - and every other place stinks.

I've been there and was so happy to get back to the west. Such a depressing place!

Sorry but I find that hard to believe, seeing how little you know about the country.

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 09:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by breakingdradles

Biden Says Weakened Russia Will Bend to U.S.

online.wsj.com

Vice President Joe Biden said in an interview that Russia's economy is "withering," and suggested the trend will force the country to make accommodations to the West on a wide range of national-security issues, including loosening its grip on former Soviet republics and shrinking its vast nuclear arsenal.

Mr. Biden said he believes Russia's economic problems are part of a series of developments that have contributed to a significant rethinking by Moscow of its international self-interest. The geographical proximity of the emerging nuclear programs in Iran and North Korea is also likely
(visit the link for the full news article)

Hmmmm Maybe our gov knows of other impending economic crashes occuring and ares is just gone to shat because of this...

Maybe they know ours will be boosted by others more severe losses..?

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 09:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by breakingdradles

Here he goes again!!

Right after Obama tries to patch up the US relationship with Russia, Biden sends them another zinger.

The problem is, like the US durring the first oil boom, Russia is selling oil to a large portion of the world.

The US gets their oil from the Middle East and just about everyone else gets it from Russia.

Their economy depends on their oil sales, which as we've all seen, prices are going back up.

Is it just me, or is Biden biting the bear trying to get it to bite back?

online.wsj.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

Couldn't we just drill for oil in our country and sell that to the countries that Russia does for a bit cheaper just to knock their econ down and then make a lucrative money making deal with them where we can make a profit somehow because we have an econ advantage over them?

would that work?

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 10:42 PM
link   
reply to post by plumranch

It only seem so because whats in Russia is really RUSSIAN. They have still great potential. I say that coming from Poland which makes one quick to become antyrussian. Russia was always big menace to all its neighbours but the people from there are mostly brilliant, openminded and goodhearted. Their educational system still seems to by sane and free of politically correct BS- thats a lot. Look at their sportsmen. Maybe they need a reneval of some kind, but its the same for all western countries.
And, no offense but both Americans and Russians have one in common: megalomaniac mindset, not always justified making them to think that they are destined to rule all around them.
Before it was Americans sending help to Soviets during II WW, now America needs Russia and its not only for helping with Afganistan war.

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 11:00 PM
link   
reply to post by maloy

But you are right - everyone in the world only wants to live in la-la land that is the US - and every other place stinks.

Perhaps you are right and everyone wants to go there now. I was there many years ago when everything was falling apart and you couldn't safely walk under the buildings. Things change.

No, I don't think the US is a wonderful place and all immigrants should come here. You can have as many as you can get. Immigrants are a healthy thing except that they bring a foreign culture and many other negatives.

You don't agree with Biden's (or my) assessment of Russia.

What do you think of our aspiring new President, Obama? Do you like him?

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 11:05 PM
link   
Even if it were true, and that's a big IF, WHY would you say that publicly? Lord help us when a real crisis hits. I'm not too reassured with Vice President Insert foot in mouth and President "I'll act before getting all the facts".

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 11:05 PM
link   
I think there is a large amount 'disagreements'; in higher circles. I think Biden is an absolute idiot; the man is old enough that he should know when to keep his mouth closed, and yet he doesn't. He seems to be a spoiled blue blood from the word go.

He keeps telling Israel the light is green; regarding attacking Iran. Huh, so the light is green, and I guess he fails to realize the SCO, NAM, and other treaties that Iran shares. Biden will cause thousands of deaths at some point; possibly millions.

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 11:09 PM
link   
This is your option if Obama were for some reason impeached....

Looks bleak eh?

posted on Jul, 28 2009 @ 02:41 AM
link   
reply to post by ZenOnKwalsky

It only seem so because whats in Russia is really RUSSIAN. They have still great potential.

I agree with much of what you say. They do after all retain a lot of what made them powerful many years ago. They still believe in Russia. And the US is still the big cat in the neighborhood even if the average American isn't aware.

What Russia has to do and will do in the next decade is try to reassert itself in terms of military and economic dominance in your area, the Bulkans, Ukraine, etc. The US on the other hand will oppose and try to keep those areas neutral or at least pro western. That's what Biden's recent trip was all about, throwing in some US support. Obviously he didn't please our old allies the Russians.

My guess is the US will do all it can to keep Poland a military ally.

posted on Jul, 28 2009 @ 02:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by warrenb
reply to post by breakingdradles

he must be living in fantasy land
I don't see Russia bending over at all, they are the biggest country in terms of landmass

Yeah but only has about 140 million people
Source

[edit on 28-7-2009 by SLAYER69]

posted on Jul, 28 2009 @ 02:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by maloy

What about space industry - where Russian rocket and satellite technologies are among the best and most utilized in the world? What about heave machinery and industrial equipment? What military and defense technology? On top of that virtually all global high-tech companies like Intel, Microsoft, Boeing, Airbus, and many others have design and engineering bureaus in Russia.

Russia Loses India as Second Largest Defense Customer

From now on India will be buying American weapons. The USA and India came to such an agreement during Hillary Clinton’s visit to Delhi on July 20. India has been using Russian and Soviet weapons for 50 years.

BREAKING NEWS
Russian arms become less competitive

The relations between Russia and India, including those in the field of military and technical cooperation, have been worsening recently. India turned its attention to other partners and entered into transactions with Israel, France and other manufacturers of military hardware.

Now the USA, Russia’s major competitor in this sphere, completed this list.

posted on Jul, 28 2009 @ 03:03 AM
link   
Same Source

A new scandal arose several days before Clinton’s visit to Delhi. It proved that Russia had sold India defective air-to-air rockets. Up to 50 percent of the rockets were reportedly defective. Therefore, the question of whether India continues to buy weapons from Russia remains open after the nation signed the defense cooperation agreement with the United States.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join