It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Change: Obama Signs Statement, allows him to Ignore US Laws

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+3 more 
posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 08:45 AM
link   

Change: Obama Signs Statement, allows him to Ignore US Laws

macedoniaonline.eu

President Barack Obama has irked close allies in Congress by declaring he has the right to ignore legislationon constitutional grounds after having criticized George W. Bush for doing the same.

Four senior House Democrats on Tuesday said they were "surprised" and "chagrined" by Obama's declaration in June that he doesn't have to comply with provisions in a war spending bill that puts conditions on aid provided to the World Bank and International Monetary Fund.

In a signing statement accompanying the $106 billion bill, Obama said he wouldn't allow the legislation to interfere with
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 08:45 AM
link   
I feel as if I'm in somekind of bizarre time warp. Wasn't this one of the things that Obama criticized Pres. Bush for doing?
As I recall a lot of the neocon supporters thought that this type of policy making was appropriate in the Bush whitehouse.
I didn't then and I certainly don't now. ALL elected officials should adhere to the rule of law the same as any citizen; otherwise it's like in Orwells "Animal Farm" "All animals are created equal, but some are more equal than others"
Hypocrisy!!

macedoniaonline.eu
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 08:52 AM
link   
.eu?

Are you telling me that msm isn't reporting on this first?

anyone?

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 08:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by ModernAcademia
.eu?

Are you telling me that msm isn't reporting on this first?

anyone?

American MSM report something negative on Obama? Have you just crawled out from under a rock? That only happens when he pisses the media off.

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 09:00 AM
link   
You act like Obama implementing the same tactics as Bush is new!?

This just gets heaped on the ever growing pile of crap that Obama spewed in order to get elected and then felt wasn't actually important enough to adhere to...

As a side note, I have a feeling we are going to see A LOT of things like this pop up over the next few weeks. Congress is about to break for a month or so, his healthcare reform didn't get rammed, errr, passed...

I would imagine the next month is going to be spent reminding Congress who is actually in charge....

Obama has been threatening us since he was elected. ("If you don't pass this legislation, things will get SO much WORSE, SO QUICKLY, WE WILL NEVER RECOVER....blah blah blah")

Now it's time for Congress to bear the wrath for awhile....I just hope it doens't require so many news conferences. Everytime I see his face nowadays it makes me want to puke.

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 09:13 AM
link   
I know a lot of you don't like Alex Jones, but here is a clip of his show in which Obama promises not to use signing statements.

www.youtube.com...

[edit on 24-7-2009 by Bullhorn]

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 09:24 AM
link   
Who says MSM is not reporting this?

www.google.com...

www.reuters.com...

www.boston.com...

And so forth... see Google News

I think the problem is often not that MSM is not reporting, but MSP (Main Stream Public) is not READING.

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 09:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by lpowell0627
You act like Obama implementing the same tactics as Bush is new!?

Some folks wouldnt understand unless they saw Obama morph into Bush before their very eyes. Even then a number of witnesses would just say "as long as he's still a Democrat" and keep on smiling.

Some old dogs cant learn any new tricks and just need to be put down.

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 09:37 AM
link   
reply to post by FreezeM

I've read all three articles and only one of them mentions the fact that he "vowed not to use signing statements" and even in that article it says there may be exceptions. In the video I posted above he clearly tells his voters "I promise I will not use them" and he doesn't talk about cases in which he might do it. He stresses the point that it was wrong when Bush used signing statements to get his way.
So, yes, the MSM did cover it, but they left out a little detail.

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 09:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Bullhorn

You are right. MSM is mostly leaving out the part about the broken campaign promise(s).

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 10:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Bullhorn
I know a lot of you don't like Alex Jones, but here is a clip of his show in which Obama promises not to use signing statements.

Well yeah, not too fond of him these days, but I gotta say, that video is the smoking gun proof Obama is a total hypocrite and liar. Yawn, SOS, different day. And the gullible sheeple just keep electing these idiots right back in power- only to be screwed to the wall by a new name.

America? Hellllllllllllllllllooooooooooooooooo? Isn't it time for some real change and time to elect someone like Ron Paul who really DOES know the constitution, and has called into question virtually any legislation that dares usurp it over the entire course of his career? Would RP use singing statements like this to usurp his own Congress, and ultimately the people? I say not only no, but HELL no. He knows better. And it's high time the American people LEARN better. Sheesh. :shk:

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 10:05 AM
link   
reply to post by FreezeM

Just wondering... what promises has he actually kept?

IRM

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 10:08 AM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

From that article:

Two days after issuing the memo, Obama issued his first signing statement exerting executive power after receiving a $410 billion omnibus spending bill. He said the bill would "unduly interfere" with his authority by directing him how to proceed, or not to, in negotiations and discussions with international organizations and foreign governments.

"unduly interfere" with his authority?

Wow, that is powerful.

We don't need no damned laws, no constitution nor congress and can circumvent even the will of the people. The Obama administration's powers have no limits.

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 10:29 AM
link   
I will start out by chiming in and opining that this is a lesson for those new to the whole 'electing a President' business....

Obama is first and foremost a politician.

In m opinion, that means, while campaigning, he will say whatever you want to hear.

Also, at the risk of alienating people...

"Some citizens are more equal than others"

Laws don't apply to those who are allowed to declare they are not subject to them... guess what? The political parties WANT their candidates to operate with impunity and no interference... It's how they have stayed in power for over a hundred years.... much to the detriment of our people.

Our Chief Executive wants to be able to 'negotiate' at his sole discretion.

Does that sound like he is our public servant? I think not.

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 01:22 PM
link   
You know, signing statements are the only tool that Presidents have in combatting these "bundled" laws since they have never been given line item veto, but it still smells bad no matter which party does it.

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 01:26 PM
link   
You know people, when Bush was increasing his executive powers and putting littler notes on his bills, making new rules and passing laws, many people in this boards including me, told everybody that this was only to open the door for other president to abuse powers.

Well there you have it, we told you so, but occurs we were only bashing Bush because we were Bush bashes and hate him.

The Irony.

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 01:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by FreezeM
Who says MSM is not reporting this?

www.google.com...

www.reuters.com...

www.boston.com...

And so forth... see Google News

I think the problem is often not that MSM is not reporting, but MSP (Main Stream Public) is not READING.

This bears repeating.

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 01:55 PM
link   
You may have missed this part of the article:

"The president has also already made it clear that he will not ignore statutory obligations on the basis of policy disagreements and will reserve signing statements for legislation that raises clearly identified constitutional concerns," White House spokesman Ben LaBolt said in a statement.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

He will reserve signing statements for instances where there are "clearly defined constitutional concerns" -- in other words, where the legislation conflicts with the Constitution.

All presidents have used signing statements, although they are not specifically allowed for in the Constitution.

Obama should be very careful about using signing statements, and the exact wording of his statements should be given to the press, so that the American people will know exactly what he is doing.

A signing statement is always a matter of great concern, because some presidents have abused them so badly and because they are not strictly Constitutional.

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 05:50 PM
link   

I usually don't like Alex Jones. But that was pretty funny and true. So, should we impeach Obama yet? Or is there more evidence needed that he just Bush 2.5?

posted on Jul, 24 2009 @ 06:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Miraj

I usually don't like Alex Jones. But that was pretty funny and true. So, should we impeach Obama yet? Or is there more evidence needed that he just Bush 2.5?

Bush 2.5?

With the media at his back, the academia at his right, and his skin color providing a shield made of political correctness. .....

Bush couldn't even dream of the power advantage that Obama has. It was cool to bash Bush, but bash Obama and you might as well get ready for that brick getting thrown through your window.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join