It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hello from the Top of the IQ Scale

page: 8
<< 5  6  7   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 06:39 PM
link   
An intelligence test purports to measure intelligence, but what exactly is intelligence? Many of the earlier tests were extremely biased from a gender, racial and social-economic viewpoint and did not present a true and accurate assessment of a person's intelligence. As a result of this inaccurate testing, many researchers, backed by the biases of the general public, believed that people of Caucasian background, for example, were more intelligent than those of, for example, African-American background. Males were considered more intelligent than females.

Fortunately, attempts to rule out false and misleading results have resulted in more accurate and reliable IQ tests. Yet there still remains a problem when applying these tests, particularly in the way they can and are interpreted by non-psychologists.

There is no doubt that what an IQ test measures and the ultimate score calculated does have an impact on the life on the tested person. In a gross sense, possessing an IQ of 120 on an IQ test potentially opens many more doors than someone who scores 70 on a similar test. Yet we must bear in mind that IQ tests are not infallible and most importantly that they measure only a limited aspect of intelligence.

IQ tests record only certain types of mental abilities, particularly analytical thinking and mathematical and spatial ability. But intelligence is much more than one's capacity to mentally rotate shapes and identify patterns. IQ tests can't measure the degree of a person's social skills (check this one), motivation, or artistic and musical gifts. Most importantly, intelligence tests do not take into account Emotional Intelligence, which has long been recognized, at least by social psychologists, as being indicative of success in life.

posted on Jul, 26 2009 @ 06:50 PM
link   
Be he resident dum-dum, or a genuine genius, if the goal of the OP was to court controversy, he has succeeded!

Welcome!

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 09:30 AM
link   
And about 95% of you don't say where you got tested. Was it online or what?
I wouldn't be surprised if people took in online and thought it was accurate, "look what I score!".

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 06:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by ghaleon12
And about 95% of you don't say where you got tested. Was it online or what?
I wouldn't be surprised if people took in online and thought it was accurate, "look what I score!".

A good point.

I've taken those online tests and the results were as much as 30 points (!) above what my true IQ is. Also, (have to look into this) but I seem to remember them 'revising' the IQ scale upwards some years ago. So, a person that was tested in, say 1984, would test at 100. But that same person, taking the test in 2009, would score 110. Sort of like they did with the SATs.

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 08:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by randolrs1
Hello,
Although I am not a humble man, creating a topic to introduce myself does inspire a bit of humility. I have read these boards for about a year and registered for an account in the last few months. My interests in relation to this website are alien conspiracies, however, I'm open to any and all discussions of merit. Unfortunately, I do not consider many of the discussions on this website very meritorious, but the beautiful thing is that is only my consideration. A person has every right to their considerations regardless of if where it applies- religion, morality, politics, or even internet forums. Most problems in our civilization persist because man cannot yet differentiate between those trivial consideration and the true test of any action, ethics. It is the intelligent thing to do. But that is a topic for another thread, I wouldn't want this topic removed for violating decorum.

Anyway, hello to everyone, I hope we can have many constructive communications soon.

Truthfully,
Shane

I'll be the judge of that -

if you reeeeealy want some quality responses - seek out electricLight

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 09:48 PM
link   
Actually, it's not your IQ score that is important.

It's the Standard Deviation of the test that tells what the score means.

Of course, tests need to be both normed periodically to be valid.

IQ tests are good predictors of academic performance, but their value beyond that is less clear.

posted on Aug, 1 2009 @ 10:06 AM
link   
reply to post by GradyPhilpott

Well, typically, a true genius is unsuccessful in life. There is a reason for that. They are the opposite of the norm in this society. They tend to be loners, eccentric and generally viewed as being kind of odd.

posted on Aug, 1 2009 @ 12:11 PM
link   
What is IQ? I am very high.

[edit on 1-8-2009 by aliengotocity]

posted on Aug, 1 2009 @ 09:41 PM
link   
I know someone who has a PhD in Electrical Engineering. He was a top dog in the Aeronautics field for over 40 years, and retired just after the company he worked for was sold. He can map out the computer software for a complete flight navigation system unrivaled by any one in his field. He was the go to guy, and he always solved the problems. He earned around $165,000 a year.
Is he smart? Not really!
Here's why...
He doesn't know how to change a flat tire. His car can have a tire going flat, and he doesn't notice the car pulling off to one side, or is handling funny before the tire is finally flat.
An alternator can be going out, with squealing bearings, and he won't hear it.
He doesn't notice he has a headlight out. But takes the car right in to the dealer when the CD player is on the fritz.
He is unable to coordinate a suit, shirt, tie, belt, socks, and shoes.
He only knew how to make a can of soup, or a bag of pop corn. ( he is learning basics now)
His English-Spelling and Penmanship skills are on the level of a fourth grader.
He does not know how to repair anything around the house. Not one thing!
If he tries, he makes it worse!
He thinks it is just fine to run a car on its same oil for 10,000 miles. Only when it is as thick as tar, does he have it changed. ( they buy a new car every five years)
He won't wash a car in the winter. So it stays nice and salty all winter long. (costs too much money)
At 2 1/2 years old, he'll have the car touched up, and buffed out, trying to undo his lack of care.
He doesn't change the oil in his mower. He takes it to Sears, and has them do it.
He doesn't know how to true the edge a kitchen knife with a truing rod.
When the knife goes dull, he buys a new one.
I could go on and on...

He and his wife haven't had sex for thirty years. He isn't a very good intimate partner. ( she found satisfaction somewhere else, while he worked 70 hour weeks) She told me he was just plain lousy, and didn't have the wherewithal to try and learn. She told me; "He just doesn't get it!"
He thinks he is so wise when it comes to relationships, and will tell you so.
( reads Dear Abby, Ann Landers etc. everyday, for 40+ years) Yet, He hasn't been able to kiss his wife on the mouth, touch her, or sleep in the same bed for over twenty years...His pet name for her is: "Angel"
He never was very close to his adopted child while she grew up. Now, he throws money at her to buy her love. She isn't very warm at all. Shes 40 today! She's closer to her mother...but not him. He thinks he is a great dad!

He hasn't taken care of his teeth, and they look bad. However, he goes to the hair salon every three weeks, and has his hair styled. Which is a joke, because what he ends up with, is an old fashioned, old mans hair cut. Costs him 40 bucks too!
He is over weight, has ungodly high blood pressure, is not very good looking, and has no friends...but, claims he would still make a good catch if he's widowed at 70. ( the wife has health issues today ) He himself is in remission from Wegners Granulomtosis. Which still shows signs of activity on his skin in places. But, he thinks he's a great catch!
He isn't very tolerant of other people, and is rude, over bearing, and arrogant.
His wife is very sweet, sort of shy, nice looking, has a wonder sense of style and is very fastidious about her hygiene. She is also highly intelligent. She holds a Masters Degree in Teaching.
She told him many times she wanted a divorce. He begged her not to do it.
Her other companion begged her to leave him. ( I have always somewhat suspected that her husband was aware something was amiss. But, never confronted her. Because he is basically a coward )
His reasons were purely selfish. He didn't want to appear like a loser to his mom and dad, and to his co-workers.
She stayed, but it was a loveless marriage. She tolerated his presence.
He became a total fool...because he is only fooling himself.

So to me, he isn't very intelligent at all.

posted on Aug, 2 2009 @ 11:22 AM
link   
Hello and welcome to this website.
I hope it helps raising your conscieness.

Love & Light & Oneness

posted on Feb, 8 2010 @ 04:17 PM
link   
reply to post by SpeakerofTruth

A TRUE genius is so intelligent that they can solve all of their problems, they will be extremely happy, have many friends, and truthfully, they will most usually let themselves be fooled for amusement (when you're a true genius life will be extremely predictable if you want it to be which will make it quite boring). I am not saying that I am a true genius yet but, I am definitely on that path.

P.S. If your intelligence is measurable by todays standard I.Q. tests, then it is not vey high. It's the same thing with money, if you can easily measure the amount of money you have, it isn't a lot.

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7   >>

join