It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Calgary; Streak behind ISS ? What was it ?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 01:07 AM
link   
At approx 11:38 - 11:40 I was watching the ISS with shuttle attached fly over Calgary, AB (Canada).

Nothing spectacular as I was showing my daughter.

It was travelling from roughly W to E (not entirely sure on coordinates)

As we watched it approx in the sky I would say, best guess an inch behind the shuttle (from our perspective) a flash of light appeared. This travelled approx an inch behind from right to left for 2 seconds max from start to finish.

I asked my daughter if she saw this and replied yes "What was that Dad"

I replied I don't know but it seemed far too short of a distance for it to be a meteor. It was a clear light and didn't leave a trail.

For clarification

have the x's as edges of the sky
the word ISS as itself
and s (for start) and f (for finish) for the distance it travelled

x                          ;                          ;     f ISS s                          ;                          ;x

While I'm not astronomer in my best estimate it was at least as high as the shuttle.
I guess at a meteor but why so short of a distance (viewable) in the sky unlike the usual streak that I've seen

Any feedback / speculation would be appreciated !

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 01:09 AM
link   
I apologize about the ;'s in the "diagram" I used the "nbsp" code and evidently messed up with copy/pasting.

They are irrelevant to the diagram

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 01:37 AM
link   
Maybe it's space sewerjunk!

They just recently got the sanitary system working again up there. Maybe that's the poopoo burning up behind it. God knows it must be pretty rugged stuff considering most food they eat is freeze dried hahaha.

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 01:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Atlantican

They don't do dumps (heh, heh, he said "dumps") while the shuttle is docked.

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 01:49 AM
link   
Tehehehe@!

Maybe it was from several orbits ago, pre dock. In which case I would say they ate the reserves of chicken wings before the new adventurers arrived and the poopoo consists of much more environmental resistant substances a la higher cholesterol and calcium. I wonder what the methane detectors showed hours before dock. LOL!

CX

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 02:28 AM
link   
A couple of weeks ago when i was showing my kids the ISS overhead, about 30-40 seconds later another light flew behind it along the same flight path.

In another thread a member confirmed that this was an unmanned Russian monitoring module or something like that. All very innocent.

Maybe any experts here could say if theres a chance it could be the same thing?

CX.

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 02:31 AM
link   
reply to post by CX

That was their trash can, a Progress capsule. They drop it into the atmosphere over the ocean and it burns up (mostly).
www.spaceref.com...

This doesn't sound like that.

CX

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 02:35 AM
link   
Ah thank you for that Phage.

I read in another post that it was a supply ship, and that on the 12th July it would be only a few metres behind the ISS.

CX.

posted on Jul, 22 2009 @ 10:14 AM
link   
reply to post by abbyland

OP --

Some meteors can be very fast and trail-less. I don't know exactly what you saw, but what you described it is not completely inconsistent with a meteor.

new topics

top topics

join