It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ok WTF is with Facebook associating ATS members?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 20 2009 @ 04:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Djarums

Actually if you reply to someone's mail in FB they can read your page, so if you don't know them, don't reply.

and I'd suggest you add people individually (by search) and not use any link from other messenger services to add people in bulk like that. Be picky on who you add.

[edit on 20-7-2009 by suzque66]

posted on Jul, 21 2009 @ 08:20 AM
link   
reply to post by AccessDenied

I read that article and used the link for deleting your account, it still says that it will deactivate your account and delete within 14 days, which is fine cause it give your friends time to make sure they have your email address.

Tell you what though, feels good already getting rid of fb. I work in IT and for years have been working with queue based systems and this had begun to feel like another queue to check...read this, read that, say yes or no to some event, etc.

posted on Aug, 4 2009 @ 11:22 AM
link   
At first my response was going to be that the friend suggestions were most likely because you had similar interests, joined similar groups, or something like that. If you and someone else are both on ATS then chances are you have the same interests on facebook and a friend suggestion would follow. However, I just logged into facebook and found a friend suggestion from someone whose e-mail I have for a work contact. There is no way we have anything in common or any common friends. This means that facebook is going through e-mail addresses to see if there are any matches to suggest. And I do not like this!!!!!!!!!!

posted on Aug, 4 2009 @ 12:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Gigantea Rosa

I just created an FB page for networking for work. Did not put much info on it so really nothing to see. Turned off posting to the wall for everyone. Also there is now an option to turn off the beacon.

Only did it to use for work. Used an e-mail I set up several years ago and don't use for anything else.

Also turned off the news feed so what they post on their page doesn't show on mine.

[edit on 8/4/2009 by TXTriker]

posted on Aug, 4 2009 @ 12:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by deadoralive

Originally posted by GEORGETHEGREEK
Ohhhh..... By the way: FACEBOOK ACCOUNT DELETED. RIP FACEBOOK!

OK now type your username and password in FB and see if its gone coz I cant seem to deleete mine.

One of the people I know who is in the police service found out, once you are on facebook you can't get off.

posted on Aug, 4 2009 @ 02:37 PM
link   
I bought a house recently
and guess who was on my suggested friends list

my real estate agent?????

I don't know anyone she knows
she doesn't know anyone I know
I only have family in toronto, england, and India on facebook

so how was this possible?

posted on Aug, 4 2009 @ 02:50 PM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

I don't know anyone she knows
she doesn't know anyone I know

Did you exchange emails with her?

If the email account you associated with your facebook account is the email account you used to correspond with her then this is not surprising.

Often times facebook imports your email contacts and suggests "people you may know" as a result of who was in your email.

Additionally, if you use gmail or others like it, people you have exchanged email with, even once, are automatically added to your contact list...

posted on Aug, 4 2009 @ 03:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Djarums

never exchanged even one email with her
it was all phone based

and I have no contacts in my email acct either
I mean I don't save email addresses or anything

posted on Aug, 4 2009 @ 04:24 PM
link   
I read this thread at work earlier, thinking it was abit disturbing then just got home and logged into FB and the freakest thing just happened.

When I was 18 I got into a relationship with a guy in America, and went and lived with him and two other guys for a while. One of these guys, was the rudest, dirtiest and most horrible person I've ever had the displeasure of knowing and his name just showed up in the recommended friends 'you might know' list. So I figured that perhaps he's friends with the other flatmate, who I am friends with on there but nope, he hasn't added him. This friend is the only guy I know, who knows the dirty one, yet for some reason he's being recommended to me without being friends with him?! I use a different email for FB than I did when I was in contact with this guy.

I'm half tempted to delete my account now but I guess if they can do this with FB, they can do it with pretty much any site. Even if I delete it now, they probably have all the information then need about me already.

WTF?!

Edit to add: Is there any way that we can protect ourselves? By communicating over the internet they have our ip address, unless you are a whiz at hiding it, so surely they know exactly who we are through that? Add on all the personal information they can gather from sites like FB, they have everything they need to know exactly what is going on in our minds. Particularly, being on a site like this and being able to follow our posts, they know whether we may be a 'danger' to any plans they may have. Through FB they know who are our closest friends and loved ones are, our interests etc. They don't even have to put in any leg work to find that out! I'm sorry but this has completely freaked me out.

In addition, a friend posted a screen print showing her top fans which FB states:

This application ranks your friends based on how often they interact with your Facebook wall. Interactions counted include wall posts, comments, likes, gifts and other public items posted to your wall. In accordance with the Facebook Privacy Policy, we do NOT count page views or private messages.

Yet everyone on it has now disputed it, saying that they never posted or communicated in any way with my friends profile yet appear on the list, whilst saying that they have looked at her page over the last few days. Yet..

In accordance with the Facebook Privacy Policy, we do NOT count page views or private messages

Heh, yeah right.

[edit on 4-8-2009 by JennyJen]

posted on Aug, 4 2009 @ 11:13 PM
link   
I dunno but now im friends with skeptic overlord... that was the person who it said i should add as a friend.

Dunno whats up with that.....

posted on Aug, 5 2009 @ 01:24 AM
link   
reply to post by king9072

Eh, king it's what these social networking sites do they keep track of what links ya send to others.It does the same to me with my comicbook sites.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join