It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ok WTF is with Facebook associating ATS members?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 19 2009 @ 02:56 AM
link   
reply to post by deadoralive

deadoralive...what you have to do to rid of FB is delete everything in it, then go to the delete account option. DO NOT go back to try to log in, every time you do it keeps it active longer. It may take years for it to disappear but even if tempted do nottttt log in.

posted on Jul, 19 2009 @ 03:55 AM
link   
Facebook tracks you across the web. It will recommend friends from sites you visit.

If you are using FF install this: addons.mozilla.org...

Protects your privacy by blocking Facebook Beacon from tracking your activities on the web.

posted on Jul, 19 2009 @ 04:03 AM
link   
a sure way to miss mice is to hunt them... the best way is to feed them.
and when they have no fear, you feed them poison. and they all die.

posted on Jul, 19 2009 @ 04:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by deadoralive

Originally posted by GEORGETHEGREEK
Ohhhh..... By the way: FACEBOOK ACCOUNT DELETED. RIP FACEBOOK!

OK now type your username and password in FB and see if its gone coz I cant seem to deleete mine.

You don't delete a FB account. You either "activate" or deactivate". It is always there. Manually delete your pictures and posts if you want a "blank" FB.

posted on Jul, 19 2009 @ 05:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Symp EL

Yes, I agree as I posted earlier. Deactivate, then NEVER log in again, eventually they will (FB admin) will remove it as dead space but that might take years so don't be tempted to log back in to check if it is gone...that will only send you back to waiting again.

posted on Jul, 19 2009 @ 06:46 AM
link   
Thanks people, just wondering. There's nothing on there I dont want anyone to see or anything im just to god dam addicted to that Mafia warz game that's all

posted on Jul, 19 2009 @ 07:23 AM
link   
reply to post by king9072

Yes, that has happened to me only with a yahoo group. They even used an email that I don't even have on my facebook!! I told my husband about it, and he thought it was very odd. Only use that email to find jobs, most of friends don't even know about that email. So yeah it's kind of weird.

posted on Jul, 19 2009 @ 07:35 AM
link   
I would suggest also not using the same email addy for places like this and FB.

That is like using a work address to send out resumees lol.

Never use the same mail or password on any given site you join up for.

posted on Jul, 19 2009 @ 07:38 AM
link   
god this is terrible..how can they treat us members this way..like were..another type of humans

posted on Jul, 19 2009 @ 07:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Symp EL

Never knew Facebook had a beacon type of thing, thanks for telling me about this
Don't even really use the site, but going to try and get it down now.

Star for you!

posted on Jul, 19 2009 @ 08:06 AM
link   
reply to post by fraterormus

Thanks for the great recommendations!

posted on Jul, 19 2009 @ 01:51 PM
link   
reply to post by king9072

I think you answered it yourself, if you sent ATS links to friends the server sees that and associates ATS with your account I have a myspace and it always gives me adds of my favorite books i have put in my profile or movies ect.

[edit on 19-7-2009 by paradiselost333]

posted on Jul, 19 2009 @ 01:59 PM
link   
Maybe, pointing out the obvious, we are all friends with each other and facebook is merely suggesting common friends who we might know?

It's not a conspiracy

[edit on 19-7-2009 by infinite]

posted on Jul, 19 2009 @ 02:04 PM
link   
reply to post by infinite

yes I agree with that too.

it is possible friends of friends belong to ATS and it shows up on the homepage as 'people you might know' kinda thing.

I had that happen and I recognized a guy from a site waaaay removed from facebook or anyone I knew there from a different hobby that we both had in common (by a keyword, I assume).

posted on Jul, 19 2009 @ 02:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Symp EL

You are right.. the button stated deactivate... i will check back to see what the contents were if any...

posted on Jul, 19 2009 @ 03:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by king9072
Alright awhile back I seen a thread about someone who claimed that facebook was suggesting ATS members to them. I tried to come up with reasonable explanations and then the thread eventually died.

So today I log onto facebook, and I use it for practically nothing other than keeping in touch with old friends from college and school. In my suggestions box was "Djarums ATS" it caught my eye simply because of ATS. And to be honest, I had never heard of Djarums, so I clicked on his name and noticed his picture.

Quickly flipped tabs over to ATS and searched for that member, sure enough, super moderator. I use seperate e-mails for Facebook/ATS, I am not associated with any other ATS members on FB, and I can't think of any other links.

So why is FB suggesting fellow ATS members to us? The only thing that I have been able to conclude in the last few minutes, is the fact that I have sent ATS links to friends who aren't members on the site. FB sees that I visit the website, they then suggest known ATS members (according to them) to me on FB.

Does anyone agree with this conclusion, or have a better idea on how this could be happening? Any thoughts welcome.

It was my thread...and yep, same suggestion. Now i'm even more curious....

posted on Jul, 19 2009 @ 03:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Symp EL

Originally posted by deadoralive

Originally posted by GEORGETHEGREEK
Ohhhh..... By the way: FACEBOOK ACCOUNT DELETED. RIP FACEBOOK!

OK now type your username and password in FB and see if its gone coz I cant seem to deleete mine.

You don't delete a FB account. You either "activate" or deactivate". It is always there. Manually delete your pictures and posts if you want a "blank" FB.

how to delete an account- not deactivate:
www.sync-blog.com...

posted on Jul, 19 2009 @ 03:21 PM
link   
A Canadian privacy commission report released on Thursday says that Facebook breaches privacy laws there....

Here is the rest of the article:

mashable.com...

Refreshing to see that some people actually still care about their privacy.

posted on Jul, 19 2009 @ 03:36 PM
link   
I didn't know I'd cause such excitement by signing up for facebook!

In all seriousness though one of the first things I did when I signed up was import my gmail contact list to see who from among my friends also had facebook. Of course many of my fellow staff members showed up and I added them. Additionally a lot of names showed up that I did not know. I was naturally quite curious and looked into why.

Apparently gmail (and other mail clients) add people to your address book even if you've only communicated once. So I guess it's possible that it was suggesting people who had corresponded with me before. I found it a bit peculiar but it didn't really concern me because the "people you may know" are just suggestions. Not friends. And they do not have access to your info unless you confirm them as friends.

So yeah in a nutshell I thought it was a bit weird but I never really gave it a second thought.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jul, 19 2009 @ 03:40 PM
link   
As someone pointed out earlier, if you used the same email to activate your facebook account as the one you used to activate your ATS account, thats probably how you were getting these referrals. There are also a couple of ATS groups on facebook as well.

I think the only people who need to worry about facebook/ats/any other social website they are subscribed to are the people who actually HAVE something to hide.

If TPTB want to look at my info, they can and will.

Remember Just to let you know, TPTB don't NEED facebook, ATS or any other site to know all there is to know about you. They have other sources for that ...... cell/house phones, bank information, debit and credit card info, buying habits, medical information, education info, psychiatric info (if ever used) etc. The list goes on and there's nothing you can do about it other than to NOT post anything that you dont want anyone to see.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join