It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US man uses chainsaw to fight off mountain lion attack

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 02:09 PM
link   

US man uses chainsaw to fight off mountain lion attack

www.telegraph.co.u k

An American, Dustin Britton, used a chainsaw to fight off an attack by a mountain lion while he was camping with his family in Wyoming.

Mr Britton was on a camping trip with his wife and two toddlers in northwestern Wyoming.

The 32-year-old mechanic and ex-US marine from Windsor, Colorado, said he was alone cutting firewood about 100 feet from his campsite in the Shoshone National Forest when he saw a seven-stone lion staring at him from some bushes.

Mr Britton said he raised his chainsaw and met the lion head-on as it pounced - a collision he described as feeling like a grown man r
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 02:09 PM
link   
Interesting article reminding people that they are just food waiting to be eaten in the natural world.

Luckily for Mr. Britton the chain saw was going otherwise he would still be cranking it while the critter was taking chunks out of him.

Must be that marine training that allowed him to fight off the mountain lion. Is this part of normal training in the military? Wouldn't a survival knife and a bit of mountain lion wrestling been more appropriate?

www.telegraph.co.u k
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 033131p://pm3117 by masonwatcher]

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 02:24 PM
link   
Totally unneeded...think of your children and your own health instead of going on a machismo camping trip

/equips flamevest against the survivalists

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 02:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Mercuryae

Okay here I go glad you got the vest

Seriously, the animal had to be deranged... It's more rare than even the story reports because of the attacks, mostly they are against unattended children which the animal mistakes for prey. And it doesn't take a genius to know not to leave your kids to wander in the woods.

The guy would have gotten off okay regardless of chainsaw off or on also... it's just a bit of common sense to carry a knife or a stick.

Even in this dented state the creature knew to leave at a first injury, unless rabid this will always be the case.

I have Mountain lions and Bears local and I feel very comfortable with a large hardened walking stick and a Machete, don't even feel the need for a gun...

I'm more concerned that I need a bath mat in the tub because by statistics your more likely to die by slipping on the soap than by going into the woods with FIRE and Blades than being killed or having a loved one killed by some animal on a trip into the woods.

The reality is...

He probably startled the animal by accident... it probably would have scratched him and ran off if he even beat it with his fists.

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 02:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Mercuryae

What? Are you saying you don't agree with camping because its being machoistic? Not sure what you statement is referring to. Either way, it sounds like you got issues with men.

Camping is a great outdoor activity. And why not learn the skills to build your own fire, a shelter, and hunt/forage for food? Plus, its refreshing to be outdoors with fresh air and beautiful scenery.

As for taking a chainsaw for camping, its preference. Some people might find it worth it. Instead of spending over an hour chopping firewood, you can do it in a fraction of the time with a chainsaw. Of course, that's a bulky machinery you have to take with you among many other things.

As for Mr. Britton, good for him. He managed to live thru a situation where most people would normally fail at. Freaking PETA, better not be up in arms about this. They are so annoying with their tactics and "I-Am-Right-Not-You" attitude.

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 03:57 PM
link   
This story has all the makings of a new video game.

Coming soon to XBox!

posted on Jul, 17 2009 @ 06:25 PM
link   
Well that will teach that mountain lion to pounce on a human with a chainsaw!

The mountain lion had to be sick or injured for it to be that dumb. That's pretty desperate right there. Most times a mountain lion wouldn't be bothered to mess with a person. But to attack one with a running chain saw? I mean do you know how freaking loud a chain saw is?

The animal had to be sick or hurt to try it.

The mountain lion was shot and killed on Monday after it attacked a dog brought in to track the animal, which was four to five years old. Authorities say it was in poor physical condition and appeared to be starving.

Yep I was right.

[edit on 7/17/2009 by whatukno]

top topics

join