It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why men really prefer blondes. The psychology behind it.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 08:51 PM
link   

Long before TV—in 15th- and 16th- century Italy, and possibly two millennia ago—women were dying their hair blond. A recent study shows that in Iran, where exposure to Western media and culture is limited, women are actually more concerned with their body image, and want to lose more weight, than their American counterparts. It is difficult to ascribe the preferences and desires of women in 15th-century Italy and 21st-century Iran to socialization by media.

Women's desire to look like Barbie—young with small waist, large breasts, long blond hair, and blue eyes—is a direct, realistic, and sensible response to the desire of men to mate with women who look like her. There is evolutionary logic behind each of these features.

Men prefer young women in part because they tend to be healthier than older women. One accurate indicator of health is physical attractiveness; another is hair. Healthy women have lustrous, shiny hair, whereas the hair of sickly people loses its luster. Because hair grows slowly, shoulder-length hair reveals several years of a woman's health status.

Blond hair is unique in that it changes dramatically with age. Typically, young girls with light blond hair become women with brown hair. Thus, men who prefer to mate with blond women are unconsciously attempting to mate with younger (and hence, on average, healthier and more fecund) women. It is no coincidence that blond hair evolved in Scandinavia and northern Europe, probably as an alternative means for women to advertise their youth, as their bodies were concealed under heavy clothing.

Heres a link to the article.
www.psychologytoday.com...

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 08:54 PM
link   
.... I always thought men liked blondes.... because most men are brunette, ... and they are attracted to the mate who displays more genetic variation. It's science, .....

.. Just like I've noticed alot of blonde white guys are attracted to the exotic look, .... like jennifer lopez or jessica alba.

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 08:59 PM
link   
Yeah actually you have a point. Ive seen alot more men go for the exotic look rather than the blondes.

But the article does make sense from a human nature perspective. It also goes into detail about why men prefer blue eyes.

Women with blue eyes should not be any different from those with green or brown eyes. Yet preference for blue eyes seems both universal and undeniable—in males as well as females. One explanation is that the human pupil dilates when an individual is exposed to something that she likes. For instance, the pupils of women and infants (but not men) spontaneously dilate when they see babies. Pupil dilation is an honest indicator of interest and attraction. And the size of the pupil is easiest to determine in blue eyes. Blue-eyed people are considered attractive as potential mates because it is easiest to determine whether they are interested in us or not.

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 09:02 PM
link   
Interesting history. Where does the dumb blonde thing come from?

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 09:05 PM
link   
reply to post by aleon1018

Very good question. And heres some theorys for it.

First of all, let's take a little look at where this whole "dumb blonde" idea comes from. One theory is that the ancient Greeks and Romans so admired their flaxen-haired neighbors to the north, they would bleach their hair to make it blonde. Seeing as they didn't exactly have the health standards we have today, a considerable amount of bleach repeatedly placed on the scalp and being inhaled could have some effect on one's mental status.

Another theory is that in the Middle Ages, while the lords and ladies pranced around and shaded their delicate features, common people worked outdoors in the fields and became tanned and their hair grew lighter. As the lower classes didn't usually have a formal education, tan skin and blonde hair became associated with unintelligent, lower class people.

Article here:: hubpages.com...

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 09:11 PM
link   
I don't know about other guys, but I find light brown, amber hair better than any other hair color. For the eyes, I'm not picky. If it helps, I have light brown hair and eyes.

Just read something I skipped about blue eyes, and how they dilate, when they are interested in something. That is really interesting and I'm going to have to test that.

[edit on 135America/Chicagof2009Wed, 15 Jul 2009 21:14:37 -0500America/Chicago 3109America/Chicago by Trams]

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 09:13 PM
link   
After dating blondes all my life i am looking to date a brunette...does that make me weird?

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 09:14 PM
link   
Yes it does.

But on the serious note, maybe your getting bored with them and want to try out something new.

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 09:30 PM
link   
Okay, so what about the Nazi obcession with blondes with blue eyes as the master race? Supposedly, there were also other factors, such as a certain color blue that's even more rare. I can't help but wonder if this is related to the Nordic alien or Atlantis myth.

+1 more 
posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 09:31 PM
link   
Personally, I much prefer brunettes.

But that whole "evolutionary psychology" stuff. I really don't understand how people think this is science. It's just people providing ex post facto rationalisations for observed behaviour.

In other words, they're just making this stuff up.

The idea that blue eyes are universally attractive, for example, is taken as demonstrated fact in the article. This is ludicrous as by far the bulk of the population of the planet have brown eyes. Until the age of widepread long-distance travel, most people would never have seen blue eyes.

Darwinism is just as much of a religion as Christianity. Neither fit the observed facts and both require a great deal of faith and work to maintain.

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 09:37 PM
link   
reply to post by consciousdrum

Same here man, I've dated mostly blondes I now prefer a women with dark brown/black or red hair, so apparently I'm weird too. As for the eyes I definitely like blue & green more so I guess.
I read somewhere that all people with blonde hair and blue eyes probably could be traced back to one single human? Has anyone else heard that?

[edit on 15-7-2009 by asmall89]

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 09:43 PM
link   

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 09:46 PM
link   
reply to post by asmall89

Ive never heard that actually.

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 09:47 PM
link   

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 09:48 PM
link   

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 09:58 PM
link   
I have dated women across the spectrum in regards to physical and mental attributes.

But the one thing that I can personally state in regards to this particular discussion is that...

Blondes may have more FUN...

But a Dark Haired woman with Blue Eyes
GETS WHATEVER SHE WANTS FROM ME!!!

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 09:59 PM
link   
What about unnatural red hair? hot stuff

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 10:04 PM
link   
Interesting thread. While hair colour and style are not among the most important features that attract us, it does play a role in how attractive one views another. Personally, I prefer brunettes. Most people I know would probably choose a blondie over a brunette given these two women had similar personalities, hobbies, interests, body shapes, looks etc.

The whole "dumb blonde" thing is a term coined by Feminists who were jealous and spiteful towards attractive, blue-eyed women with large breasts. It is a silly tag that is now really cliché and irritating to hear.

It is a silly and absurd statement that one's hair colour is indicative of their level of intelligence. The truth is there are intelligent people of all colours, creeds and hairstyles. The same as there are stupid people of all colours, creeds and hairstyles.

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 10:15 PM
link   
reply to post by jvm222

ditto

reply to post by Snisha

that's because she's your wife?

reply to post by OmegaPoint

that she is

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 10:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Snisha
I have dated women across the spectrum in regards to physical and mental attributes.

But the one thing that I can personally state in regards to this particular discussion is that...

Blondes may have more FUN...

But a Dark Haired woman with Blue Eyes
GETS WHATEVER SHE WANTS FROM ME!!!

You are my hero

Mod Edit - Mod Note: One Line Post – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 16-7-2009 by elevatedone]

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join