It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Upcoming Military Robot Could Feed on Dead Bodies

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 10:55 AM
link   

Upcoming Military Robot Could Feed on Dead Bodies

www.foxnews.com

A Maryland company under contract to the Pentagon is working on a steam-powered robot that would fuel itself by gobbling up whatever organic material it can find — grass, wood, old furniture, even dead bodies.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 10:55 AM
link   
Somehow, this seems like the plot for a science fiction movie.
It's a short step to the terminator series of movies except the robots go out of control and start eating humans.

That would give a reason that the robots are killing people. They need them as food.

I'm a little concerned about technology like this.

What are your thoughts.

www.foxnews.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

+6 more 
posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 11:06 AM
link   
The bodies of an enemy should be treated with utmost respect. After all wouldn't you want your troops bodies treated with respect by the enemy?

The creator(s) of this monstrosity should be tried for crimes against humanity, this is nothing short of horrifying.

Seriously...

Big suprise that an American has designed this.....

posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 11:09 AM
link   
now this doesn't surprise me at all
and just after i read the thread about the fly eating clock

dead bodies i dont agree with, come on, if was in a war how would you feel to find out ur loved one was eaten by one of these things? its disrespectfull in all senses of the word!

posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 11:10 AM
link   
I KNEW it!!! It all started with the carnivorous clock.
It won't be long and it won't matter if the bodies are alive or not. Mark my words. An enemy-gobbling machine that uses the poor sods for fuel.

[edit on 14-7-2009 by KSPigpen]

posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 11:11 AM
link   
Its all a bit...matrix, is it not?

Human bodies to power the machines.

posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 11:12 AM
link   
reply to post by KSPigpen

haha some one else that made the connection i belive the both of us stated this would happen in the other thread

posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 11:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by Thebudweiserstuntman
Its all a bit...matrix, is it not?

Human bodies to power the machines.

wow... great catch!

I didn't catch it that way but whoa hoaa you are right.

We are all just batteries!

link   
And people wonder why 'terrorists' hate your 'freedom'...

If your freedom involves the creation of such things. Seriously though the creators should be dealt with, the production factories should be destroyed and all blue prints erased.

Otherwise it could be your children these machines feast upon.

link   
reply to post by mr-lizard

USA USA USA! We are indeed number 1 when it comes to vicious robots that will kill your soldiers and EAT YOUR BABIES!!! MUHAHAHHAHAHAHA!

I wonder if I could talk them into testing this on my wife?

link   
reply to post by Thebudweiserstuntman

well technically the post said

A Maryland company under contract to the Pentagon is working on a steam-powered robot that would fuel itself by gobbling up whatever organic material it can find — grass, wood, old furniture, even dead bodies.

so organic materials ..fine yea but i suppose the question would be...would they actually use dead bodies to power it or .....

it does sound matrixy in a way

posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 11:14 AM
link   
My question is how they came to the conclusion that this robot would actually eat a human...

posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 11:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by ronishia
reply to post by Thebudweiserstuntman

well technically the full news post in the link said

Robotic Technology Inc.'s Energetically Autonomous Tactical Robot — that's right, "EATR" — "can find, ingest, and extract energy from biomass in the environment (and other organically-based energy sources), as well as use conventional and alternative fuels (such as gasoline, heavy fuel, kerosene, diesel, propane, coal, cooking oil, and solar) when suitable," reads the company's Web site.

That "biomass" and "other organically-based energy sources" wouldn't necessarily be limited to plant material — animal and human corpses contain plenty of energy, and they'd be plentiful in a war zone.

so organic materials ..fine yea but i suppose the question would be...would they actually use dead bodies to power it or .....

it does sound matrixy in a way

[edit on 113131p://150711 by ronishia]

[edit on 113131p://160711 by ronishia]

posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 11:15 AM
link   
What I am waiting for now is : SKYNET ..

scary future we are looking at.
just think if these robots starts making own decisions..

posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 11:16 AM
link   
How terribly practical. All we need now is an automated repair system, and we've [snip] ourselves.

Mod Edit: Profanity/Circumvention Of Censors – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 15-7-2009 by mrwupy]

posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 11:16 AM
link   
Then these things are capable of time travel, and go back in time and eat our ancestors just eliminating us from infinity... the ultimate asassin of chance.

posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 11:17 AM
link   
Soylent Green!!!!

Uhh, they need to scrap this project. Personally I have a big problem with things like AI and the likes and with a machine that feeds itself and one of those things is bodies. No to much room for error.

I don't think our soldiers would like the fact that their buddy got eaten by a freaking robot.

posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 11:18 AM
link   
Or this has already been done by someone, or something else on the nanolevel. They group together like a swarm, cause human suffering or joy then feed off of the vibes.

*twilight zone theme* but not joking about it so much....

posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 11:31 AM
link   
I thought of the robots in Tom Cruises war of the worlds.

They were scooping people up and using them as fertilizer.

This seems like it's a little too much.

posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 11:37 AM
link   
reply to post by ChemBreather

I have a feeling that the 'Sky Net' you are referring to is already in the form of a company named Google. I think it will become more prevalent once the government deems it necessary to 'monitor' all internet and tech companies for 'national security' purposes. We are all slowly being uploaded into doomsday 'operating system' one keystroke or twitter at a time.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join