It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Now that's what I call a fly-past: US Navy F18 streaks past apartment block

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 06:55 PM
link   
reply to post by MR BOB

Im guessing if the sun exploded youd be standing there blaming the Americans :shk:

At anyrate its an impressive picture but I agree that the angle makes it look much closer than it probably is.

Its also a AESA equpped bird judging by vents on the rear deck.

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 10:29 PM
link   
There was a planet the exploded billion years ago so i am also guessing that the american had something to do with.

posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 12:30 AM
link   

"*snip* Yeah! we have the BEST AIRFORCE AND ARMY IN THE WORLD!!!. YEAH!!"

The US Air Force IS the best in the world. "Above all" is there motto, and it truely is... true. The plane is Navy, by the way.

Thats why the english army has no respect for them, they dont do that. i have even talked to soldeirs about them and its alway the same, They dont like them, and they dont like working with them.

The "English army" don't respect the US? Hahahaha - that's a new one. Get off your soapbox, this isn't about ragging on about Americans. Is this because you don't have anything close to touching a Super Hornet Block II? And what's wrong with being feirce fighters?

FYI, I am Australian without an ounce of America in me.

[edit on 14/7/2009 by C0bzz]

posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 01:10 AM
link   
reply to post by MR BOB

I've heard those comments too, but in movies....when I talked with my English friends I never once heard anything about lack of repsect or not liking to work with us. There are always going to be the idioats who get all goofy after a fire fight and act tough, but to say there is any level of disrespect between the services is bull crap, and the US Air Force IS the best in the world.

posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 01:28 AM
link   
If you like low level flights i found this interesting during a naval exercise, well i have several which have been filmed for evaluation but will not post any as its non existent.

This one was published on the net so i guess its open to public view.

and

and

accidents do happen

accidents do happen

accidents do happen

posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 02:47 AM
link   
reply to post by RichardPrice

I was going to say the same thing. What happens when a bird gets sucked into the turbine and the pilot has to eject over everyone's house?

posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 02:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by tristar
If you like low level flights i found this interesting during a naval exercise, well i have several which have been filmed for evaluation but will not post any as its non existent.

This one was published on the net so i guess its open to public view.

There's a video of a HAF F16 doing a similar low level flight over the Aegean.

Oh and C0bzz, the USAF may be the best, but at the first Red Flag of 2009, the HAF dominated.

Nah, much respect for the USAF.
There aren't too many air forces which are involved in actual hot situations on an almost daily basis.

posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 03:54 AM
link   
Perhaps not many are aware of what happens on a 24/7 time scale. This is the reason why the HAF have such a record and who are frequently invited to partake with U.S. , Israel , French and German airforce simulation battle's.

However this is a real engagement of a dog fight, the only thing that was left was to pull the trigger.

posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 05:26 AM
link   
Accidents happen, however we must remember that the F/A-18F has two engines, and additionally planes take the risk of ingesting a bird every time they fly - especially when taking off and landing, or at airshows. Accidents do not happen often.

On a side note, first Australian F/A-18F completed.

media.abovetopsecret.com...

AESA & all.

[edit on 14/7/2009 by C0bzz]

posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 07:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by C0bzz
Accidents happen, however we must remember that the F/A-18F has two engines, and additionally planes take the risk of ingesting a bird every time they fly - especially when taking off and landing, or at airshows. Accidents do not happen often.

The issue with that is that the airport takes proactive efforts to manage the local bird population, and the aircraft taking off or landing passes through the threat area very quickly, on a trajectory which precludes them from striking surround obstacles.

Secondly, normal airshows have a minimum display height which is above the statistical bird strike area, and this particular display in this case was cleared to significantly below that minimum by the FAA. This is also abnormal because it was clearly below the height of surrounding obstructions, also a huge no no in display flying.

Thirdly, losing an engine is no laughing matter, no matter how many engines you have - an F/A-18F losing a single engine will also suffer from reduced hydraulics, reduced electronics and of course reduced power. Also it is not unknown for a bird strike to affect both engines, especially if the aircraft strikes a flock of birds (infact, it would probably be more likely for both engines on a fighter jet to be affected during a bird strike in such circumstances than not, as the intakes are close together).

Also recall the F/A/-18D crash last year - the jet suffered an oil pressure failure in the right engine, which the pilot then shut down. The left engine then failed while the aircraft was diverting to a ground base, resulting in the crash. Both engines failed.

Lets not beat around the bush here shall we - we are not talking about an engine out situation in normal flight. The aircraft was very low, below the height of surrounding obstacles with the minimum of space to manouever. This was dangerous.

posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 12:33 PM
link   
Not a jet but this pilot got a little to low as well

BBC

posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 02:20 PM
link   
Many military bases have crews which train falcons for such purposes as to ensure that no birds live or fly by the surrounding area.

posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 02:41 PM
link   

He couldn't match the F15s for speed

I don't know why but I really wished a female wrote that article and typed F-15 instead of F-18... Guess I'm just a closet sexist
(all it says is 'By Mail Foreign Service' as far as I can see).

That picture rocks! That pilot must of had a huge grin after that... Personally I would of had my index finger up my nose just for comic effect.

posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 04:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by FredT
reply to post by MR BOB

Im guessing if the sun exploded youd be standing there blaming the Americans :shk:

At anyrate its an impressive picture but I agree that the angle makes it look much closer than it probably is.

Its also a AESA equpped bird judging by vents on the rear deck.

if the sun 'exploded' i would not be here to blame anyone now would i? neither would anyone be around to blame in fact.

The sun has explosions on its surface anyways.

posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 05:38 PM
link   
reply to post by GioTheGreek

It might not be as close as it looks because of the camera lens. A telephoto shot would distort the appearance.

posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 06:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by pteridine

It might not be as close as it looks because of the camera lens. A telephoto shot would distort the appearance.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/files/ad51c8230956bca3.jpg[/atsimg]

I'm gonna go out on a bit of an amateur photo sleuthing limb here and say that is defiantly pretty damn close (anyone pls correct me if I'm wrong here!)

wiki has the Specifications (F/A-18C/D) and the wing span is 40 foot... Now if you take each of the floors of the building as say 11 ft (I want to say 10 foot high floors + 1 ft for each because of the width of the floor/ceiling)... That F-18 appears to cover about 3 and third... therefore 36.6r feet... so it appears about 3 1/2 foot shorter than it actually is....

I can't really be bothered to work that out (and right now I can't actually remember how to
) but I want to guess that aircraft is a little less than say 30 foot from the building? Does that sound about right? I think I could of hit that plane with something like an apple thrown by hand if I really tried
Imagine that, billion doller F-18 downed by fruit!

posted on Jul, 14 2009 @ 06:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Now_Then

That is correct, building code's say that from floor to ceiling the average height is about 3meters, so counting the floor's its covering with its wing span i too would say that it seriously very close.

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 11:07 AM
link   
It's not as close as it looks. The picture was taken with a telephoto lens, creating what is known as "forced perspective" that makes it look as if the airplane is closer to the building than it actually is.

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 11:32 AM
link   
Reply to post by Now_Then

its an F model btw. The larger chine and AESA vents on the rear deck are the give away

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 12:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Shadowhawk
It's not as close as it looks. The picture was taken with a telephoto lens, creating what is known as "forced perspective" that makes it look as if the airplane is closer to the building than it actually is.

It is as close as it looks, not all photos suffer from foreshortening.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join