It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Now that's what I call a fly-past: US Navy F18 streaks past apartment block

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 08:44 AM
link   

Now that

www.dailyma il.co.uk

This is the moment a a US Navy pilot gave a shocked resident a very close look at his F18.

The fighter/bomber streaked past an apartment block on the banks of the Detroit River at the weekend.

It was part of a tactical demonstration fly-past to open a speedboat race in the North American city.

Officials waived rules to allow the Navy flyers to swoop under 100ft along the waterway.
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 13-7-2009 by tristar]

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 08:44 AM
link   
Now this is what i call having some fun, i wonder if the neighbors thought if something was up.

Interesting to see low level flight in residential areas, could be a nice training ground for an upcoming event everyone is more or less waiting on.

***Edit, notice how the pilot is looking towards the ground, i am sure he has just seen something of interest and wanted a better look at the blonde...

Either way, its nice someone is keeping the sky's occupied.
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/files/ad51c8230956bca3.jpg[/atsimg]

www.dailyma il.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 13-7-2009 by tristar]

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 09:00 AM
link   
Thanks for posting this.

I live north of Detroit, and heard them yesterday....and wondered what the HECK they were and WHY were they there!!!
Even though we're quite a few miles away, I am guessing they need quite a bit of room to make those turns

I did find a video from yesterday:

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 09:10 AM
link   
Nice find OP!!

Great photo!!

Thanks

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 09:11 AM
link   
yeah and if it clipped the apartment block just a tad, that jet would be [snip]

and people could have been killed, especially if it had any rockets attached to it.

Mod Edit - Mod Edit: Profanity/Circumvention Of Censors – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 13-7-2009 by elevatedone]

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 09:31 AM
link   
Indeed that photo blew me away, always damnn cool to see those guys do crazy stunts like these.

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 09:37 AM
link   
Bet that rattled a few windows and scared a couple of kittens into hiding under the bed.

2nd line for the simple sake of having a second line.

[edit on 13/7/09 by DataWraith]

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 10:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by MR BOB
yeah and if it clipped the apartment block just a tad, that jet would be *snip*.

and people could have been killed, especially if it had any rockets attached to it.

Do you seriously think they perform flight demonstrations with live ordanance? The only time you are going to see that is if you join the Navy and the Air Wing performs a show for some foreign officials while at sea.

mod edit, to remove censor circumvention in quote

[edit on 13-7-2009 by DontTreadOnMe]

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 10:13 AM
link   
Our airforce is amazing. Our jets intimitade just bystanders. Could you imagine being on the recieving end of those things? I mean just one passing will paralyze you and send shivers down your spine. Imagine a couple LGB's comin at you!

I live near MacDill AFB and when every now and then a squadron comes over. Holy crap. Walls shake, car alarms go off and windows crack.

[edit on 13-7-2009 by Spartak_FL]

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 10:14 AM
link   
Lucky that guy on the balcony didnt have his ear drums ruptured...

very silly for being that close..

But beutfull picture though..

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 10:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by DontTreadOnMe
Thanks for posting this.

I live north of Detroit, and heard them yesterday....and wondered what the HECK they were and WHY were they there!!!
Even though we're quite a few miles away, I am guessing they need quite a bit of room to make those turns

I did find a video from yesterday:

Interesting. I also live north of Detroit but did not hear them..... I guess I wasn't aware they were going to be doing that otherwise I'd have been outside for sure....Good vid though.

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 10:31 AM
link   
This is just a little too close for comfort.

Does anyone know if any of the locals nearby, we're given notice about this flyby via the mainstream media? Or was this a surprise to 99 % of them?

I used to live in Gibraltar, right by the bloody airstrip... and during the summer of 2006... for a solid 2 months, British fighter jets we're non stop.

I couldn't believe how loud they we're. Rattled me!

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 10:50 AM
link   
The angle and the camera make it appear closer than it really is. In any case it is an awesome flyby.
One rule, you can NEVER, EVER, be too low.... especially in an F/A-18F.

www.youtube.com...

www.youtube.com...

And you haven't seen loud till you've been CLOSE to a B-1 at full power without hearing protection.

[edit on 13/7/2009 by C0bzz]

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 11:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by MR BOB
yeah and if it clipped the apartment block just a tad, that jet would be *snip*

Oh lighten up would you?

They didn't stick a rookie pilot in there, whose only flying experience is a computer game and a joystick.

And others have said, they don't do fly by's and performances with munitions on board. Down here in Australia they actually use test aircraft used by the DSTO. The only time those birds have ordinance strapped on is when they are out at Woomera test range.

mod edit to remove censor circumvention in quote

[edit on 13-7-2009 by DontTreadOnMe]

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 11:13 AM
link   
So THATS what happened the other day!

Freaking thing was so loud people thought a bomb went off (and immediately started shooting each other, but thats a typical response in Detroit)

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 11:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by C0bzz

And you haven't seen loud till you've been CLOSE to a B-1 at full power without hearing protection.

What were they like compared to Concorde on take off? used to drive past Heathrow whilst these were taking off and the van i was in used to rattle just a little

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 12:15 PM
link   
Great pic.Man can these guys fly or what?Its their training that makes them the best pilots.

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 01:16 PM
link   
funny how all the americans on here are like:
"*snip* Yeah! we have the BEST AIRFORCE AND ARMY IN THE WORLD!!!. YEAH!!"
--
Ive seen the americans abroad, when they shoot people and blow them up, its the same. "*snip* yeah you blew him to bits!!" and laughing, "I love this"

Thats why the english army has no respect for them, they dont do that. i have even talked to soldeirs about them and its alway the same, They dont like them, and they dont like working with them.

Mod Note: Profanity/Circumvention Of Censors – Please Review This Link.

[edit on Mon Jul 13 2009 by Jbird]

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 01:24 PM
link   
I'm kind of surprised they allowed that.

Heck the best of the best make mistakes at air shows and go down in flames.

Maybe I just need to join up again and see what's changed that they can do stuff like this now lol.

All that said I would have loved to be standing in that apartment complex to see it or whatever the complex is.

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 01:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Darthorious
I'm kind of surprised they allowed that.

Heck the best of the best make mistakes at air shows and go down in flames.

Sod mistakes, down at that level you are in with the birds - and birds do not mix well with engines...

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join