It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Shuttle Launch NO-GO due to WEATHER - 24 Hour Delay

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 05:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by kiwifoot
reply to post by BlueShaman

My god, I'd like to go up to the head honcho and slap him!

Why not just forget the whole thing until a clear sunny day.

I'd love to know how much a scrubbed launch costs!

That's called "Florida Weather"...

It could be clear and sunny for 90% of the day, but thunderstorms in Florida just pop out of seemingly nothing.

The Storms in Florida in the summertime usually do not "move in" from someplace else -- but rather they spontaneously spring up due to the humid air -- especially in the late afternoon and evening hours.

That kind of rain can happen every day and any day during the Florida summer.

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 05:47 PM
link   
whoa! twice in a row. Now, this is most unusual. Why can't they have more "windows" for launch? this is ridiculus....

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 05:50 PM
link   
Wednesday it seems to be

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 05:51 PM
link   
reply to post by lagenese

They were saying last night that the windows are much tighter these days - so I guess not

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 05:52 PM
link   
48hour delay, now wednesday: open window = 6.03pmEDT (& 10secs), closed window 6.08pm.

Can't they just blast their way through those pesky nimbus clouds with their electro-gravity drives, or is it a time-share with the aliens?

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 06:03 PM
link   
reply to post by pazcat

Here's a link for the archived image of the day from a strike on July 10th at Space Weather:

www.spaceweather.com...

(or set archive date to July 12, 2009).

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 06:10 PM
link   
reply to post by elfie

Thanks elfie, i have never got around to that section of spaceweather.com

Thats 4 no-go's now isnt it? Oh well safety first and can have an evening off tomorrow.
I remember being in Florida this time of year on holidays, the afternoon storms were impressive to say the least.

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 06:23 PM
link   
reply to post by pazcat

You're most welcome, pazcat. I really hope the weather is clear for Wednesday! I can understand the lightening concerns--scary that Apollo 12 experienced a strike which disabled many systems and communications until the crew was able to reset.

I'd spend a lot of time indoors for Florida thunderstorms, even if it's a daily occurrence.

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 06:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by lagenese
whoa! twice in a row. Now, this is most unusual. Why can't they have more "windows" for launch? this is ridiculus....

The launch windows are determined by being able to catch up with the ISS. They can't launch "just any time" because the ISS needs to be in the right position for the shuttle to be able to get to it.

The shuttle only has so much fuel for maneuvering in space...it can't just zip around to reach the ISS -- the shuttle needs the launch to be able to get it going toward the ISS to begin with

That's why the launch windows are so short.

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 06:38 PM
link   
When will they start using anti-gravity propulsion? geez, they already use it in the black projects... It would sure save a lot of money...

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 09:26 PM
link   
Shuttle Endeavor Launch Postponed YET AGAIN

politricksonline.com...

Just minutes before Shuttle Endeavor was to launch into space, the mission was postponed due to thunderstorm dangers. This is the 5th attempt by NASA to launch the shuttle, which is due to rendezvous with the International Space Station.

If NASA does not launch Shuttle Endeavor by Tuesday or Wednesday, the entire mission will be postponed until July 27th.

[edit on 13-7-2009 by AlexG141989]

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 09:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Soylent Green Is People

Yup that pesky Florida weather has ruined many pool time days for me lately in the afternoon. It's just how it is here in sunny FL right now. It's like this every year. It rains and then it's sunny.

I had to star you for pointing FL weather out because I was about to do the same

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 10:05 PM
link   
Maybe something doesn't want them to fix the ISS or whatever it is they're doing?

posted on Jul, 13 2009 @ 11:27 PM
link   
reply to post by lagenese

Good one!

Not even important space missions are worth it.

But something is really getting unusual about those thunder storms though.

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join