It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why I think we need an [Ignorant] button!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 04:13 PM
link   
I'm placing this thread in the Psychology, Philosophy and Metaphysics forum because I wish to engage other members in a discussion as to why so many intentionally ignorant people seem to be here on ATS, where the motto is 'Deny Igorance'! (Thus, psychological in nature.)

So, let me tell you why I feel we need an [Ignorant] button. The [Friend] button is pretty self explanitory. While some would feel that the [Foe] button would suffice for these people, I would counter that it states on your Profile page "My Respected Foes. These are my worthy adversaries who keep me on my toes." Now on a site that has the motto "Deny Ignorance", these people do not deserve the title "Respected Foe", as they do not deserve and have not earned the "Respected" portion of this. Now you could just put them on [Ignore], but then they would be able to spout their ignorant opinions unchecked, and that would be very unATS like. So the only alternative would be an [Ignorant] button. Perhaps, if the list of members who have listed them as [Ignorant] gets rather lengthy, they would take a really good look at the man or woman in the mirror.

Who are these people I speak of? Those who comment on a topic without reading the OP. Those who make up quotes from the article in the OP, or those of another member's post. Those who completely ignore the points of those who are debating them, and their source material. Those who spout their opinions as if they were facts and give absolutely no source to back up their positions (often times because there isn't any).

So why do people come here to ATS, only to go on to threads with their eyes firmly shut, their fingers in their ears shouting "LALALALALALA, I CAN'T HEAR YOU!, LALALALALALA", minds firmly made up, no real evidence to back up their positions, unwilling or unable to see the viewpoints of others and quick to dismiss those viewpoints, usually in a very nasty and hateful manner? And do we not, as an online community, have the obligation to at least try to make them realize that they are intentionally ignorant? Our posts don't seem to be doing the job, maybe the title of [Ignorant] will!

I thank you in advance for your thoughts and insights into this issue, my dear fellow ATS members!

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 04:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by JaxonRoberts

So why do people come here to ATS, only to go on to threads with their eyes firmly shut, their fingers in their ears shouting "LALALALALALA, I CAN'T HEAR YOU!, LALALALALALA", minds firmly made up ... unwilling or unable to see the viewpoints of others and quick to dismiss those viewpoints,

Human nature really, as evidenced:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

As far as an 'ignorant' button I'm going to have to disagree with you there JR. Last thing we need imo is more labels and generalizations. A lot of aforementioned ignorance begins with such constructs.

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 04:24 PM
link   
Could be a good idea... although it would get abused to hell probably. Meaning those guys who cant hold a conversation/debate without throwing their toys out of the pram, might embody their toy throwing thing by pressing the 'ignorant' button on the person who's annoyed them.

Although maybe if it was mandatory to include an anonymous comment or something, that could make it seem more of a constructive thing..

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 04:29 PM
link   
I understand your point and agree with it wholeheartedly, but they are just weeds in a garden, friend. An unfortunate part of such a community.

I would, however, like a 'thumbs down' button or something similar. There are times when I simply disagree with the point or statement being made but don't consider it ignorant. I just consider it wrong. LOL

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 04:35 PM
link   
Ignorance plays a big part in life. Like for instance like the op said, there are plenty here that are so called intelligent. But so many totally ignore and no knowledge what so ever of electronic mind control, used on all of us.

Ignorance on electronic mind control, leaves alot to not know the subject the thread is totally about.

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 04:39 PM
link   
The people you are trying hardest to get to look in the mirror would probably sooner think the entire rest of the world is just stupider than they are. That's just the sad truth behind self-absorption and arrogance.

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 04:57 PM
link   
Careful what you wish for. A "down" button or an "ignorant" button may earn certain members martyrdom status amongst those that sympathize with them. As they say, no publicity is bad publicity.

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 05:02 PM
link   
That's the beauty of the internet.

Anyone can say anything, freedom of speech has a price and sometimes that price is listening to "stupid" at least we don't have people on here wittering about celebrity gossip, the site is geared towards things we're interested in... yet along with that go opinions that aren't based in anything anywhere near logic, man I've seen some stuff that's made me laugh outright and others that have made me angry or sad beyond belief.

I agree the "ignore" option sucks, there are a hell of a lot of people on here that seem to just post sensationalist ramblings, with no aim other than to get stars and flags - good for them, I hope their lives are validated.

Personally, I'd like to see some kind of "Thumbs" system, agree/disagree etc.

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 05:21 PM
link   
reply to post by JaxonRoberts

There is also of course the posters that post nonsense and stupidity just for the purpose of doing that. But the MODs do take care of that, so at least you don't see the stupidity as seen in other sites. It's good to have a place where people can intelligently discuss a topic and respectfully disagree with something. I personally like to argue with people whose views aren't mine, it makes it more interesting. But I'm the first one to admit if I'm wrong about something and will admit it instead of stubbornly use anything I can to try and "win" a arguement. The ignorant button would be a good idea in theory, but I could see people we are talking about misuse it completely. We would have the trolls who contribute nothing except disruption press ignorant to some of the brightest people on this site and that is just an insult to them. I'm all for it, but I just want another tool for the ignorant to have fun with.

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 05:54 PM
link   
Although, of course "ignorant" markings would be a badge of honour to some... I'd take as many as I could from some quarters.

I do think the starring system needs an overhaul though.

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 11:08 PM
link   
This is why I never make any posts of my own.Ive got plenty to post about but its just not gonna happen, Ill stick to reading and putting in my 2 cents when I feel the need to. Besides,eventually I always find the answer to most if not all questions I have had just using the search option...

PEACE!!!

top topics

join