It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Who was God's Wife?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 05:03 PM
link   
In the Jewish tradition, God had a wife. Though she's not in the Christian faith.
I don't know about her role, if any, in Islam.

As for Jesus, according to the story he impregnated Mary. So, that does not mean he had to have a wife for that.

Seems Zeus did that quiet a lot.

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 05:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by RuneSpider
In the Jewish tradition, God had a wife. Though she's not in the Christian faith.

This right here is proof enough that this belongs in the Conspiracy forum. We have 2 faiths...one gives God a "female" counterpart...while others do not...that = Conspiracy to me....given that we are all brothers and sisters of the human race. Which is right...which is wrong....is there a right or wrong?

[edit on 10-7-2009 by Aggie Man]

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 05:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by RuneSpider
In the Jewish tradition, God had a wife.

Actually, it is only in the misconstrued perceptions of Jews by non-Jews that God had a wife -- the myth stems from the idea of the Shekina being a female presence with God. This is not based on any Jewish beliefs, nor Jewish scriptures (specifically, the Holy scriptures (Christians call this the Old Testament) and the Talmud, or Jewish oral history/tradition).

To quote Rabbi Shraga Simmons:

The term "Shekina" is best translated as "Divine Presence" and is simply another term for God. This term refers to man's relationship with God. This relationship can be illustrated with the following example: Imagine being in the Grand Canyon before sunrise, totally enveloped in the darkness of its vast depths. Suddenly, the first ray of sunlight beams from the horizon, and you witness a beautiful sunrise. You think to yourself, "Is it possible this sunrise was a mere chemical mishap? No, this must be a creation of God!" The awe that person felt, is the experience with the Shechina, which is referred to in the feminine.

Source

In English, when we see a noun referred to in a feminine or masculine sense, we tend to attribute personhood to it. However, most languages give nouns a male, female or neuter gender. It is something easily lost in translation, and can cause misconceptions in the worst case.

In the case of this Rabbi's statement, though, you can see some budding correlations between the Shekina and what God was going to call to be the bride of Christ, namely you and me.

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 06:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by UFOTECH
The God of the Bible is Yahweh and his female counter part is Shechinah. The Christian religion does not recognize her for some reason which I do now understand. In the ancient Hebrew tradition she is highly respected.

That is awesome I have never heard of that before. Pretty cool information. Is that from the Jewish holy book the Torah?

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 06:31 PM
link   

You have a U2U

[edit on 10/7/09 by masqua]

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 06:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Aggie Man

the problem is using the "rules" and stories in the bible to frame your argument. this, of course, is a problem because the bible is a collection of stuff ... stories, rules, some history, some poetry, whatever. but it is full of bs and fallacies and hyperbole and random dictates. so the bible saying that jesus was god's son doesn't really mean much. the bible including the character of jesus doesn't really mean much. the bible including the character of god doesn't mean anything either.

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 06:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by UFOTECH
The God of the Bible is Yahweh and his female counter part is Shechinah. The Christian religion does not recognize her for some reason which I do now understand. In the ancient Hebrew tradition she is highly respected.

yes, Shekinah

books.google.com...'s+wife&source=bl&ots=IdfuvlGrXc&sig=KjirYkwmQk5FIhKumX8r_L3qpGo&hl=e n&ei=5NFXSu6CPJDUMoH9-J0I&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=4

[edit on 063131p://bFriday2009 by Stormdancer777]

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 06:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Imago Dei

I found it rather informative. I have never heard of a belief in a God's Wife in any part of the Judean religions before. I did not find it mocking in any way. It was cool because it was something that I have never heard of.

I find it kind of fitting since the Judean religions state that humans are formed in God's image. Seems more fitting.

Especially since marriage plays such a large part of Judean religions. A unity between a man and a woman. Formed in the image of a unity of a man and a woman.

That is not offense or mocking is it? Just a different avenue of thought?

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 07:26 PM
link   
reply to post by TurkeyBurgers

Like I said it is ancient. The modern Hebrew tradition does not mention the lady. It is sad I think to remove the feminine from the divine. It is taking the living presence of the Creator from the Earth to not acknowledge her.

When I think of the Mother Goddess and Father God I think of Yahweh and his female counter part is Shechinah. Even rendering the names gives me a charge. There is a lot of power in her name when spoken which activates the feminine divine within us.

Wiki Quote: The Shekhinah is held by some to represent the feminine attributes of the presence of God (shekhinah being a feminine word in Hebrew), based especially on readings of the Talmud.

[edit on 7/10/2009 by UFOTECH]

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 07:38 PM
link   
I'm not a biblical expert, but the 2 places I can think of where women are on top of "high places", are in reference to wisdom and understanding, which in the OT refers to them as "she's".

These 2 stand at the top, in the path of the "way" and cry out to those like a lighthouse on a dark ocean guiding those who seek and hear/see it along the right path.

Proverbs 8

1Doth not wisdom cry? and understanding put forth her voice?

2She standeth in the top of high places, by the way in the places of the paths.

3She crieth at the gates, at the entry of the city, at the coming in at the doors.

4Unto you, O men, I call; and my voice is to the sons of man.

5O ye simple, understand wisdom: and, ye fools, be ye of an understanding heart.

------------

Proverbs 9

1Wisdom hath builded her house, she hath hewn out her seven pillars:

2She hath killed her beasts; she hath mingled her wine; she hath also furnished her table.

3She hath sent forth her maidens: she crieth upon the highest places of the city,

4Whoso is simple, let him turn in hither: as for him that wanteth understanding, she saith to him,

5Come, eat of my bread, and drink of the wine which I have mingled.

6Forsake the foolish, and live; and go in the way of understanding.

As for Mary and the virgin birth, Jesus denies Mary is his mother.

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 07:54 PM
link   
reply to post by TurkeyBurgers

Dont worry, anyone is allowed to to say what ever they want, accept me. Its cool. Have fun people.

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 08:10 PM
link   
reply to post by junglejake

Ah, I see. Thank you for correcting me.
Wish i could give you some sort of kudos since I'm sure this will be predominantly ignored.

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 10:08 PM
link   
reply to post by UFOTECH

When I think of the Mother Goddess and Father God I think of Yahweh and his female counter part is Shechinah.
Sounds like a Jewish version of the Virgin Mary.

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 02:05 PM
link   
Well if you want the truth about God, there are other sources and religions that are much older. Hinduism is considered the oldest religion and in Hinduism, the God Krishna believe it or not, had 16,108 wives. Obviously a glutton for punishment and had the patience of a saint, or a good set of ear plugs.

www.boloji.com...
en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Jul, 12 2009 @ 05:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Aggie Man
Who was God's wife? I mean, the bible calls Jesus his ONLY son. If there is not a female companion to God, then how can Jesus be considered his "son"?

According to the Gnostics who wrotw the scrolls we know from Nag Hamadi, the Good Father had a female counterpart, Sophia -- Goddess of Knowledge and Wisdom.

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 08:48 AM
link   
Offensive comments from repeat banned member removed by admin.

[edit on Wed, Jul 15th 2009 by Djarums]

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 05:36 PM
link   
I dont know but why dont you ask him. I heard praying are cheap these days. Its a bit too long distance for me though

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 08:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Neo Christian Mystic

Who was God's wife? I mean, the bible calls Jesus his ONLY son. If there is not a female companion to God, then how can Jesus be considered his "son"?

According to the Gnostics who wrotw the scrolls we know from Nag Hamadi, the Good Father had a female counterpart, Sophia -- Goddess of Knowledge and Wisdom.

That is interesting because that is what I pointed out basically. Although I said understanding rather than knowledge, but if you go like 1 or 2 verses past what I quoted it says knowledge of the holy is understanding.

I think I could go along with that.

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 08:38 PM
link   
If god had no wife, yet had a son, that means that jesus wasn't his son.
If mary wasn't impregnated by man, therefore she must have been impregnated by god.
Since god never had a son, and mary never concieved of a man, THERE WAS NO JESUS!

Logic FTW.

posted on Jul, 27 2009 @ 04:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by badmedia

Originally posted by Neo Christian Mystic

That is interesting because that is what I pointed out basically. Although I said understanding rather than knowledge, but if you go like 1 or 2 verses past what I quoted it says knowledge of the holy is understanding.

I think I could go along with that.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/21c0d9991294.jpg[/atsimg]

Apparently the Knights Templar worshipped Baphomet. Using an ancient Hebrew code called the Atbash cipher, applying this code to a word or text, the first letter is substituted with the last and so on. When you write Baphomet it becomes Sophia and the other way around. Baphomet or Sophia was shown with a winged body of a woman and the head and hoofs of a goat. She would be the Evening Star, or Vesper in Latin, whose symbol is the pentagram upside down, complementary to the Morning Star or Lucifer in Latin, whose symbol is the upright pentagram.

Of course to the Church this idea was evil and therefore the Knights Templar and later the Freemasons were hunted for their "blasphemy". Friday 13th 1307 (???) all of France was turned upside down in search for Templars, who were all of a sudden a heretic order, and their herecy included spitting on the cross and worshipping Baphomet. Knowing that the early Christians or Gnostics, who predates Catholicism with a couple of hundred years worshipped this Sophia as being the female counterpart of the Father. This didn't fit the Church who came about later introduced a kind of worship where the female principle was almost non-existant, unless for Virgin Mary, the only virgin to have given birth to more than a handful of people, including Jesju, Jacob (James) and Judas (Jude, not Iscariot, but Jesju' brother). If Mary was a virgin, it was because she was born in August-September, and not because she was "untouched by any man".

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join