It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Virgin Mary appeared in the remains of a felled churchyard tree

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 02:39 AM
link   
Dont know if this on here already

Virgin Mary Makes An Appearance

Religious fever has taken root in a rural Irish village after workmen claimed the image of the Virgin Mary appeared in the remains of a felled churchyard tree. Skip related content
The supposed vision in Rathkeale, Co Limerick, has stumped locals who have come in their hundreds to pray and light candles in the grounds of Holy Mary Parish church.

While some believe the chopped willow should be preserved and covered in glass, others think the believers are just barking up the wrong tree.

Noel White, Rathkeale Community Council Graveyard Committee chairman, said workmen sprucing up the church land saw the image when they cut the tree.

"One of the lads said look, our Blessed Lady in the tree," Mr White said. "One of the other lads looked over and actually knelt down and blessed himself, he got such a shock. It was the perfect shape of the figure of Our Lady holding the baby."

Candles and rosary beads have been draped over the stump by prayerful locals with up to 700 holding a candlelight vigil last night and into the early hours of the morning.

Mr White said people have been travelling from neighbouring Co Kerry as word of the phenomenon spread, while it is believed a local Gaelic Athletic Association (GAA) club from a nearby parish also brought two busloads of people.

"It is just a tree, but it is what it depicts when you look at it," Mr White said. "It is just phenomenal what's going on. And it's not just Rathkeale, they're coming in from all over the place."

But not all villagers have seen the supposedly divine image with some treating the discovery with scepticism.

Local priest Fr Willie Russell refused to get caught up in the hype but said he was not surprised by the outpouring of interest. "This is just going to go on and on," he said. "My impression of it at the moment is that I have no impression of it. It doesn't interest me that much at the moment. I have seen the tree ... it's only a tree."

[edit on 10-7-2009 by Alienmindflare]

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 04:19 AM
link   

Fr Willie Russell
I have seen the tree ... it's only a tree."

says it all.

If you look hard enough, you will see whatever you want anywhere you want.

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 04:29 AM
link   
reply to post by GarethAyres

You dont think that the apparition of Mary would stay there for a long period do ya? lol

Of course its just a tree,,she appeared next to it

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 04:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Alienmindflare

Oh heh, from the way i read it the first time i thought it was marked on the tree.

I didnt realise it was another case of 'it happened, we seen it, but we have no proof and its gone now'.

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 04:48 AM
link   
Here's a link with pic:

Virgin Mary in tree stump

People will see what they want...

[edit on 10/7/09 by shamus78]

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 05:14 AM
link   
reply to post by GarethAyres

Thanks for the pic Shamus

Sorry I must say,,I read it wrong,that'll teach me for reading first thing in the morning,I did think it was an apparition.

and now I think,urmm,its a tree :/

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 10:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by shamus78

People will see what they want...

[edit on 10/7/09 by shamus78]

Indeed they will:MJ not dead, MJ is an alien, MJ cloned, etc.

Not precisely on thread, but a perfect example of hysteria-driven theorizing.

posted on Jul, 15 2009 @ 02:20 AM
link   
Hi Alienmindflare!

Thanks for posting this! I'm really trying my hardest to see the resemblance to Mary holding baby Jesus. Look at the way it's cut, who cuts a tree like that anyways? Workers had too much 'Irish Coffee' for brekky

new topics

top topics

join