It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How do you deal with apparent hopelessness?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 11:07 PM
link   
Like many if not most ATSers, I'm addicted to negative news...stuff on impending doom and gloom...for some reason I can't stop reading along these lines and yet I feel its making me sick.

We live in a truly sick world that is getting sicker, so perhaps its not an inappropriate reaction. Much better than denial, in my opinion.

Even so...sometimes it all gets to be a bit too much. Personally when I feel overwhelmed I switch from political/economic to religious/spiritual reading for awhile...but even that can get dark and depressing.

So what's your personal strategy when "it all seems a bit too much" ?

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 11:10 PM
link   

How do you deal with apparent hopelessness?

Embrace it, and then laugh out loud at the sky.

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 11:19 PM
link   
Take it all with a grain of salt.

Do not look to deep into things that do not directly impact you.

We as humans are capable of great things, we are also capable of destroying ourselves, what makes news is not beauty and butterflies, but rather death and decay. Sick yes, but such is life.

Like I stated take it with a grain of salt unless something affects you personally.

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 11:26 PM
link   
reply to post by silent thunder

Just look at all the great people you meet everyday. Humans are by and large kind and loving. It is easy to loose sight of the majority of good people when you just focus on the evil of the world.

Also, take time to do stuff for less fortunate people. It really does help you more than it helps them. Its a blessing of sorts.

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 11:31 PM
link   
Yeah, I made a thread about this awhile back.

Found it was one of the few threads that do better in BTS.

When you figure it out, shoot me a U2U.

Although i've gotten great news today, all my friends are pissed and really trying to bring me back down. That's a tough thing.

Is there anything specific, that's got you down mate? Or just life in general. If you can specify you can always fix!

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 11:38 PM
link   

I don't know if you recall "Gone With the Wind," but Scarlett had it figured out.

When * got so grim, she'd just take a breath and say, "I'm just not going to think about that today."

First of all, you will have just as good a day as you make up your mind to have. You decide to have a good day, NO ONE can alter that, no problem can change that, and no amount of gloom will ruin your day.

You fall in the water, you'll . . . what? You'll start swimming!

Crap starts getting you down, MOVE! Change the channel, change the subject, think about something else, get busy doing!

We aren't guaranteed the next hour.

So make the most of the moment.

You make it what it will be.

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 11:43 PM
link   
reply to post by dooper

I'm sorry dooper.

I know that meant alot, but it's trully easier said then done.

They are nice poetic words and strings, but still it's hard to brush # off. I know I have at least ten self concious things runnin through my head at all times. And it helps because everyone else is so self concioius, they don't have time or thoughts to judge me!

Hopelessnes is tough, just try not to do anything, well D- or alcohol to overcome it, because it doesn't get overcome that way.

I'm sure though, that if you ever wanted to U2U anyone who's posted on this, they'd be glad to talk to you. No pressure mate, life is a #hole, we all know it, and I doubt the kind atser's (unless religion is brought up :p ) won't judge or be the least bit mean to you.

And the benefit is we're all complete strangers!

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 11:47 PM
link   
Being sickened is not feeling hopeless. Being sickened and feeling that you can't do anything about it makes you feel hopeless. I just get up and go do something then. Hard to feel hopeless when you are actually doing something. Doesn't matter what just something. The act of doing something takes away that feeling you can't do anything.

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 11:48 PM
link   

I use straight Epictetus...you can't allow yourself to feel happy or sad about anything that is outside of your control, like the weather on Mars, or things that have already happened, or what people say about you when you're not around (though maybe all of those will be controllable with future technological et cetera - "I could rule the world if I could only get the parts)...
The only things that you should concern yourself with are those that are under your control, that's where your concern and attention governs, which is fundamentally your will, how much you can make yourself do the things you think you should...Now if you're like me you can't simultaneously do everything you think you should (10000 thing to-do list) BUT if all of the things that you do get done today are things proper for your will, and you don't do anything improper, trust me, it's like magic, you will be happy enough...and if your actions are small but your problems are big, you just have to break up the far goal into bite-size chunks and tick them off as you accomplish them...There you go: the cure for hopelessness is a plan...(that works for fear too
)

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 11:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Republican08

Time to take a friends inventory, you may not have as many as you thought. I'd suggest chunking them down a bit and recruiting a few new ones with likeminded interests and the capacity to support you on your progressive journey.

True friends would be happy for you.

Then again, there's a LOT of depression going around these days, especially down in the States. Many EVERYONE is down, in which case it's all on you, and yes it all hangs on you, the responsibility to be and remain happy joyous and free. And if you have to make a couple cuts along the way, so be it, sometimes compassion even demands it.

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 11:54 PM
link   

Sorry you're feeling hopeless, Silent Thunder. I've been there myself.

These are the things that help me:

1. Getting out of the city and into nature works best. Honestly. It's hard to feel hopeless when you're surrounded by the beauty of nature, and away from the city. Can you get to a national park for the weekend? Or at least a state park?

2. Homeopathy has also helped me. There are a lot of good remedies for depression and hopelessness. It's best to go to a homeopath, but if you can't afford one, there's a great book I can recommend called Emotional Healing with Homeopathy, by Peter Chappel. It's a good beginner book on how to find a good remedy for yourself.

3. Hypnosis has also helped me.

4. Cancelling my cable and internet helped, but then I found I could get onto my neighbor's internet signal for free, so I'm still sort of addicted to coming on to ATS.

Maybe you could try swearing off of cable, internet and ATS for a week..and get into nature....and see how you feel after that. Try to forget about all the doom and gloom. Because there IS still a lot of good things about the world, too.

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 11:59 PM
link   
Anytime I've found myself caught under the dark cloud of depression, I take a step back and try to remove myself from the source of negativity. Sometimes stepping back and evaluating the situation from a slightly different perspective can help clear the air, so to speak, and get you back on track.

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 12:01 AM
link   
Romans 15:13
May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit.
Galatians 5:22
But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness,

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 12:02 AM
link   
Maybe you should take a break and stop free basing ATS for a while. Or do you need an intervention

I'm one to talk lol.... i know what you mean.

Its all about perception really. One can endure an incredible amount of negative experiences if he has power over where he dwells in his mind.

I have adopted the "what will be will be" philosophy and take comfort in the goodness within me and whatever happens i will be at peace in my heart. Don't dwell on the negative or dark matters of life.

Best Movie ever

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 12:02 AM
link   
reply to post by OmegaPoint

I think you are an AA member perhaps

Happy, Joyous and Free. Lol, it gets old, but is still so true.

Well, some news came in today, and around april, i'm moving to england, and there all pissy about it. I guess they'll miss me, but they have time to be upset about it all of march :p

Just tough, cause I could use an adventure and change of scenery.

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 12:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by silent thunder
So what's your personal strategy when "it all seems a bit too much" ?

That's easy. I'd find time to connect with nature. Relax. Feel the wind. Hear the birds. And then whip out my leaf blower and blow those eucalyptus leaves into a pile for pick-up by the city the next day. And start the cycle all over again. Relax, knowing I've done the best I could, for now.

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 12:04 AM
link   

Me personally? Herion..
But then after awhile that in itself tends to just make it worse!!!

So I would deal with it like I do now.. Get outside.. Get away from the TV.. Computer screen and all that mind bending BS!!!
Take a long trip away from everything if you have a little bit of money, it doesnt take much to travle with a bag of clothes and ticket to no where!

IF that doesnt work refer back to plan A!

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 12:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Republican08
reply to post by OmegaPoint

I think you are an AA member perhaps

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 12:19 AM
link   
Nothing can stop the hopelessness. We live in a hopeless world with little left to hope for. In my experience, hope is all but blind faith. The more you hope for, the more disappointment will come your way. Some people have a happy go lucky life where everything they could ever need or want is just handed to them and they don't have to suffer through REAL pain. I might be the only one here who will give this advice. But, give up on hope. It brings nothing but pain.

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 12:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Mr. Toodles

That is a horrible thing to advise. Even if it were true, and I don't think it is.

As long as you draw breath there is nothing you can not change.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join