It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How do you deal with apparent hopelessness?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 12:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Histopherness

Try telling that to your roommate when they turn off the power and then tell you to leave. But you cannot cause you cannot contact anyone. And then let them tell you that because you are not leaving, you will get your butt kicked over and over. And even if you do leave, you are reassured that all of your possessions will be destroyed....yeah, I don't quite see where the hope would come in.

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 12:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Mr. Toodles

I got a better one. Chased down by three guys getting your butt kicked just down the hall from your room. Your roommate sticks his head out and you suddenly have hope that this won't end so bad... then he shuts the door.

Still I'm alive and so stand by my earlier statement. When I get killed then I will give up all hope.

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 12:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Histopherness

Well, I suppose you simply have a different outlook on life than me. I gave up on hope years ago....many years ago. Has never failed me. I am promised something, I do not hope for it and it never comes anyways. No disappointment.

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 12:38 AM
link   
reply to post by silent thunder

I don't know if I have a strategy or not. I just hope for the best, but meanwhile do what I can to better my situation. Your question, OP, is just what my daughter asked me tonight. I think she was actually asking me, how do you deal with all this? She's turning 30 on Saturday. She is out of work, she lives with me, she has three kids, plus there are other kids, who I call my grandchildren who come and go. I can only tell her, I have tough times. Your great grandparents had tougher times. We survived and did what we could for a better tomorrow. And, you, my daughter, will do what you must to give your children a better tomorrow. This is not a time for all common people to worry about what is my existance and I should just die than to continue on. It's a time to be at the crossroads of human history, It's a great time. Pass it on to your children

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 12:44 AM
link   
Ya know... when I met my husband, I considered myself so positive and "spiritually enlightened", and he began to change all that from Day One, constantly going on about his silly conspiracy theories and bringing me down. Honestly, I lived in a pit inside myself for years after I met him and I hated him for it. I could not be positive for more than an hour or two before he would push his negative news on me.

I made myself feel nothing for years. I deadened myself, because I didn't want to feel sad. I sunk into apathy about absolutely everything, really all I let myself feel was anger about my daily stresses.

Then we both got a job writing about conspiracy theories, and that caused me to do my own research. We've been at it for about 7 months now, and honestly I cry almost every day over something or another that I research. It's strange though, I'm not sad at all.

I'm not sad about any of it, because I know that we as a species are so much better than this. I know that this world we're living in is a complete lie. I know that everything we think we are is a product of centuries of conditioning by the powers that be. But we are evolving to be better in spite of them, intellectually. We as a species can only be superficially oppressed. Even their oppression of us is not real. It's a lie too, but we believe it.

I'm not sad, because my kids hear about this stuff on a daily basis (from hearing my husband and I discussing things). The truth will not be taboo to them. And they aren't the only ones. There are many others like us, whose kids will not be strangers to the truth. There is hope in the next generation of humankind, and the one after that, and the one after that.

This isn't about us. It isn't about those of us who are alive today. We're just another generation of our species. Whatever it is that we must endure today will teach future generations more, and our ideology as a species will evolve, it must evolve, it can do nothing else.

How do I not feel hopeless on a daily basis? I laugh, because none of it makes any sense.

"The privilege of absurdity; to which no living creature is subject, but man only."
~ Thomas Hobbes

"Modern man must descend the spiral of his own absurdity to the lowest point; only then can he look beyond it."
~ Vaclav Havel

"I prefer the company of peasants because they have not been educated sufficiently to reason incorrectly."
~ Michel Eyquem De Montaigne

And I also listen to Conspirituality and Sons of Zadok everyday.

Luck and love to you, hun!

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 12:58 AM
link   
I did not live as one who has no hope. I always have hope in the One who gave His life for me.

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 01:54 AM
link   
I just back off for a while maybe a month or so and embrace that I am not ignorant or blind to what's really happening.

Go about your life and just be happy. Don't watch the news or read the paper. Play video games watch movies like all the other sheep do.

You will always see and be aware of what's going on no matter what because you are "awakened"

Come back and hit it again. Eventually you will learn to take this all with a grain of salt and realize that the most simplest thing to do is prepare with food rations.

It can get heavy on the mind though. I listened to Coast to Coast everynight for almost a year I had to back off that too.

It will drive you nutty.

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 02:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by silent thunder
Like many if not most ATSers, I'm addicted to negative news...stuff on impending doom and gloom...for some reason I can't stop reading along these lines and yet I feel its making me sick.

We live in a truly sick world that is getting sicker, so perhaps its not an inappropriate reaction. Much better than denial, in my opinion.

Even so...sometimes it all gets to be a bit too much. Personally when I feel overwhelmed I switch from political/economic to religious/spiritual reading for awhile...but even that can get dark and depressing.

So what's your personal strategy when "it all seems a bit too much" ?

LoL, as long as your packing guns and ammo, gold, MRE´s, water, and some survival gear, your ready for anything. Now, forget all this media riff-raff, revert to pre-internet days, and go on down to the local hole in the wall and slosh them blues away!

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 02:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Mr. Toodles

You could start with a happier looking avatar.

How morose and cynical.

Dude, you're starting to creep me out..

The world and reality is what you make of it, and it's amazing what a person can generate from within their own limited sphere of influence, however big or small, but first, people need to take responsibility for their own state of being and how they respond to the world around them. Context and framing is everything.

Part of the problem is when you look at things in terms of absolutes.

Here on earth, there is the whole range, it's like a rainbow, from deep suffering at one end of the spectrum, to the highest joy on the other.

"The more that suffering carves into your being, the more joy you can contain."
~ Kahlil Gibran, "The Prophet"

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 05:59 AM
link   

We live in a truly sick world that is getting sicker, so perhaps its not an inappropriate reaction. Much better than denial, in my opinion.

Growing up many get a picture of the world from their peers who mostly don't want to look at the suffering in the world but instead play along happily with eachother. And ofcourse the former generation grew up with limited media, it wasn't so easy to read a newspaper from a foreign country as it is now to read foreign websites and get some information how people are living there.

Becoming depressed when reading about foreign countries where people get treated bad and suffer shows you care and humanity needs that to survive all of this misery. What causes hopelesness is the prospect of not being able to relieve any suffering of others. You will need to make a lot of sacrifices to do so, either by giving money you might need yourself or by joining the military or voluntary work for some cause.

Most people simply opt out and choose to ignore other people's misery, also a very normal reaction when confronted by a seemingly endless pile of misery. Still others choose to join the army and are even prepared to kill in order to establish peace.

What makes it even worse is that humanity is theoretically ready for a new age, one without war or famine, the knowledge is here but the will to put it into effect isn't, mostly because a lot of people in power have to give up a great deal of their power along with the luxury it provides them.

Anyway, acceptance is the antidote for me. I just accept things are as they are whether I like it or not. I'd rather feel less happy and know how the world truly is than being happier but clueless about the state of the world today. Looking at the conditions in which other people have to live and comparing it to mine also makes me question myself what the hell I'm complaining about.

posted on Jul, 10 2009 @ 06:08 AM
link   
oh come on I like Mr Toodles posts

to the OP- prescription drugs keep me afloat- those happy pills do take the edge off

recreational drugs work okay too

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 01:50 PM
link   
I was on meds for ten years. Been off of all meds for 2. The power of the mind is incredible, i chose to be happy and in time with a lot of work truly became so.

Meds are a crutch that do have there place......to help you to get back walking on your own.

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 02:34 PM
link   
Don't despair, there's hope, we're a fragile species on the exposed surface of a ball of rock whizzing through space and a gajillion relative mikes per hour, along with gajillions of other rocks whizzing through space all in different directions. It's inevitable that we'll run into a spacerock or comet someday.

So there, there's hope, that the big comet will come and wipe the earth clean of this plague of civilization. That's what i hope for, so it's not hopeless.

Hoping that everybody will all wake up and find love for each other as fellow beings, well, that's hopeless.

I would have liked to live on a planet that's not dead, but unfortunately i was born into this ridiculous time. I just hope the human species goes extinct before we get a chance to get off the planet and live. That would suck for the rest of the galaxy if we made a breakthrough and mastered interstellar travel, if humans were wandering the stars imposing their will, false religions, governments, and brutal force upon other civilizations. You don't think we' do it? Look at out history.

So, complete human extinction is the only hope i can really hold onto. My life has already been sacrificed tot he machine when i was born into it, as well as yours.

I cry inside when i see new human life being born, as it's injust to bring a life into a dead world.

Nobody before me fought to make anything better, they fought to make it worse. They raced to cut down the forests, blacken the sky, turn the oceans into a great watery dumpster, tell me i cant't do anything but submit to their plan of destruction, and enslave a planet.

I don't want to live on this dead world, even as far as i can venture into nature , which isn't very far, i still trip over plastic bags and breathe toxic air. I can't drink the polluted water that used to be available without industrial chemicals and toxins. I can't decide to be free and go anywhere where i would be allowed freedom, not even in the furthest reaches of space, as we have laws that tell me what i can and can't do on other planets, or in the void of the universe. Yeah, cops aren't going to come to my spaceship and enforce the laws, but they still exist. There's nowhere in the universe that you're truly free of man's law. I could go to mars and do what i wand and have the illusion of freedom, but there are STILL those who believe they own me and who seek to impose their will upon my being.

And that's why i can only hope for humans to be gone. It's the only thing i can reasonably hope for anymore.

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 03:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by DezertSkies
Don't despair, there's hope, we're a fragile species on the exposed surface of a ball of rock whizzing through space and a gajillion relative mikes per hour, along with gajillions of other rocks whizzing through space all in different directions. It's inevitable that we'll run into a spacerock or comet someday.

So there, there's hope, that the big comet will come and wipe the earth clean of this plague of civilization. That's what i hope for, so it's not hopeless.

Hoping that everybody will all wake up and find love for each other as fellow beings, well, that's hopeless.

Nice hope and prayer on ya there bud, how sad, when so much is possible.

I hereby counteract your prayer with a degree of hope and optimism which is more powerful by many many orders of magnitude.

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 03:32 PM
link   

I take consolation in the fact that I am not alone in seeing most of the truth in worldly on-goings. While we may be divided on different topics, we know there is something going on and that is what brings us together. "They" rely on the fact that we have different ideas on different topics, that is one of their valuable tools to manipulate and control opposition.

[edit on 11-7-2009 by warrenb]

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 03:40 PM
link   
What are you hoping for?

Let's say, you are hoping for the enlightenment of all beings; a Buddhist hope.

There is no need for hope, because the enlightenment of all beings is inevitable.

Likewise, your own enlightenment is inevitable. There is something pushing you towards it always, always reminding you of your blind spots, and that is life. So long as anything is living, there is not only hope, there is certitude.

The only decision you get to make is whether or not you will be a part of it at this point in time. Which is really just a personal thing, totally in your hands.

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 03:43 PM
link   
reply to post by bsbray11

Best post I've seen yet. Bravo!

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 03:48 PM
link   

Like many if not most ATSers, I'm addicted to negative news...stuff on impending doom and gloom...for some reason I can't stop reading along these lines and yet I feel its making me sick.

Even so...sometimes it all gets to be a bit too much. Personally when I feel overwhelmed I switch from political/economic to religious/spiritual reading for awhile...but even that can get dark and depressing.

Turn off the TV and/or read about science adventure or you can learn to paint or play the guitar.

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 04:13 PM
link   
I just remember what old Boethius said.

""It's my belief that history is a wheel. 'Inconstancy is my very essence,' says the wheel. Rise up on my spokes if you like but don't complain when you're cast back down into the depths. Good time pass away, but then so do the bad. Mutability is our tragedy, but it's also our hope. The worst of time, like the best, are always passing away."

Relax and smile.

posted on Jul, 11 2009 @ 04:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by grapesofraft
reply to post by silent thunder

Also, take time to do stuff to less fortunate people. It really does help you more than it helps them. Its a blessing of sorts.

There, fixed that for you.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join