It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tens of thousands of South Korean computers set to self-destruct on Friday

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 03:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by MR BOB
reply to post by KSPigpen

it is very possible, not many people can do it though.

[edit on 9-7-2009 by MR BOB]

Man, I must just not be gifted enough. More stupid letters after my name than I care to share. Been a programmer since about 14...I'm 42 now...hmm...but I guess I prolly just haven't seen enough.

This is getting WAY OFF TOPIC. I apologize.

Can there be tens of thousand of computers infected that stop working correctly? Yup, there sure can. We've seen it all before. Is there ANYONE in the world that can send a virus to my computer that will make it BLOW UP, or catch on fire? Nope. look up HAL. Not space odyssey, but Hardware Abstraction Layer.

Let's try to keep it real folks.

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 03:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Kingfanpaul

Yeah I got that, I'm still not convinced that 20,000 peoples files will delete at the stroke of midnight. A DDoS attack may cause network problems or bring down a website or other disturbances of the like but delete 20,000 peoples hard drives is hard to believe.

If it happens it would be a hell of an accomplishment since it has NEVER been done. I highly doubt it!

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 03:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Digital_Reality

you would be surprized at the damage virus/Trojans/worms can do, they can shut down networks and in my experience can delete information from your pc (im speaking from experience on this).Tbh i think most hackers have way to much time on their hands lol

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 04:06 PM
link   
reply to post by ronishia

I'm a Network Administrator for a multi million dollar company. I handle everything from Exchange server to the client PC's. I'm well aware of what a virus and spyware can do. I remove them for fun for friends and family members on my off time as well as on the floor at work DAILY.

All I'm saying is that I believe this will be a big let down just like all of the other virus threats in the past. Additionally, you can't remotely make a hard drive catch on fire.

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 04:08 PM
link   

my bad misinterpreted you then

to be honest wether this incident actually happens is another thing altogether and seems a little like fear mongering

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 04:10 PM
link   
I know that 20 thousand computers are worth a lot more to a 'hacker' 'alive' then dead. It's been a really long time since a script kiddy brought the world to it's knees just for recognition. It's all about the money these days.

Look up botnets.

It makes a lot more sense to herd the zombies than to leave a lot of carcasses laying around.

This particular warning is very reminiscent of the warnings we get all the time...usually proven to be hoaxes.

And why just South Korea? How does the virus tell the difference? Ok, that's it, I'm calling viral racism on this one. It's not fair, we should be allowed to have all the viruses any other country can have.

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 04:13 PM
link   

I"d like to see that happen with modern hardware. If we were running Vic-20's, then I'd be concerned about a fire.

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 04:16 PM
link   
reply to post by SpacePunk

Lol, we have come a long way since the 1980's.

It would however bring a whole new meaning to the name Fire Wall.

[edit on 9-7-2009 by Digital_Reality]

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 04:19 PM
link   
10. SPREAD HAVOC
20. MONGER FEAR
30 GOTO 10

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 04:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by MR BOB
reply to post by 12.21.12

actually you can remotly make the computer oveheat and set the harddrive on fire. It is entirely possible.

Not with modern equipment. Thermal switch in Power Supply, Heat sink sensors on both motherboard and CPU will detect temperatures above 85º Celcius and shut the system down automatically.

Check your BIOS, basically any decent system built since some five years has thermal sensors/protection.

On another note. THIS IS PART OF THE ONGOING FALSE FLAG TO PASS THE CYBERATTACK LEGISLATION.

This needs your immediate attention

Threads like the above are why ATS was created in the first place... 18 flags?

Hah!

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 04:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by 12.21.12
It may be time for some people to back their stuff on to external drives and buy a mac. Otherwise just fear mongering, remember y2k? If anything the computer won't blow up but just fizzle out and die, or death by pop up windows that won't close.

Oh and take a look at the bottom of the page.

That is twitter rearing it's ugly face once again.

Why buy a Mac? PC's are more versatile with more software available for them, and at a lower cost.

Mac's can get viruses too. So you have a Mac. Enjoy it, but don't fool yourself into believing you and your Mac are somehow superior.

Anyway, in 12 years on the Internet I have never had a virus attack my computer...ever!!

Why?

1. I don't open email attachments from anyone that I do not know.
2. I use an online email account which runs anti-virus software on all emails.
3. I don't use any data storage devices that are not my own.
4. I use a good antivirus program and get regular automatic updates.
5. I use the Free online Windows Live OneCare safety scanner about once every two months. onecare.live.com...

The safety scanner rids your computer of registry errors, spyware, worms, malware, viruses, etc.

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 04:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by ronishia
reply to post by jsobecky

what more ridiculous as underwater super highways or captured aliens, or alien crop circles, or the world ending in 2012?
Just because you don't understand something it doesn't mean that it cant happen.

you might not believe this could happen but i know it can be done and there no point in going back and forward tit for tat on the matter lol, you have your belief i have mine

ronishia, I can guarantee you that I have forgotten more about computers than you will ever know. Anytime you want to match wits o this, just name the time and place. And what I am saying is, *you* are the one with the lack of understanding.

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 04:57 PM
link   

as i said i will not go into a debate about hacking and this kind of stuff and i didnt say that i could do it, but i do know a few people that are top end coders that have done and do do this kind of thing, and i dont deny your knowlegde but dont be so high ended to think that you are the only one who is computer savvy hun i do know a fair bit myself. anyways lets not get this thread off topic its not fair on the OP or the others lets just agree to disagree and move on

[edit on 043131p://59074 by ronishia]

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 05:07 PM
link   

I'm not the only one...I'm just one guy that used to teach classes to these 'top end' folks. From A to Z, as far as customers. Fortune 500 to mideast military.

There are others in this thread who are knowledgeable who agree with me. I don't want to argue with you, I'm just saying, take what your friends are saying with a grain of salt. Don't fall for an urban legend.

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 05:12 PM
link   

im not falling for anything i have seen with my own eyes what can be done,i have set up many sites over the years and currently own another so i do know a thing or 2 about coding etc, i have no doubt there are many people on here that are very knowledgeable in in this kind of thing and i don't wanna argue either i was just commenting on what i have seen been done that is all.

so back on topic do you think that its plausible that an idle virus could initiate this kind of thing suggested by the OP on a mass scale such as this?
i believe its very possible but then one would have to wonder if they *could* do this why not do it on a more global scale? and truly take some power and stop knowledge being spread about the goings on over there.

[edit on 053131p://24075 by ronishia]

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 05:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by ronishia

im not falling for anything i have seen with my own eyes what can be done,

Really? You've actually seen this? Pardon my skepticism.

so back on topic do you think that its plausible that an idle virus could initiate this kind of thing suggested by the OP on a mass scale such as this?

Possible? Absolutely possible. But that usually only happens to sloppy sites. Most sites with decent IT people have prepared for these incidents in advance.

i believe its very possible but then one would have to wonder if they *could* do this why not do it on a more global scale? and truly take some power and stop knowledge being spread about the goings on over there.

It is not difficult for them to block access to normal electronic communications emanating from their country. They can never block the independent sources, however; that is why they must be oppressive, and jail those who try to deliver the real truth from within, such as the 2 lady journalists who are currently in jail on 12 years sentences.

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 05:29 PM
link   

i was thinking along the lines of not stopping access to sites but more along the lines of crashing peoples pc's like is suggested.

and on a side note yes i have seen large servers being taken down for days and i dont just mean through ddosing either, the said server had to be replaces as the wires got fried and data being stolen and wiped remotely,
i know it sounds liek bs but thats what i no

posted on Jul, 9 2009 @ 05:46 PM
link   
Backing up files makes this thread moot. Anyone who's been on the computer for any real amount of time knows that backing up files is EVERYONE'S "Ace in the Hole"...and affords ample immunity to even the unknown.

Viruses...lol...bring 'em!. I need the entertainment.

[edit on 9-7-2009 by lagnar]

top topics

<< 1   >>

join