It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

MP5 question

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 7 2004 @ 02:22 AM
link   
I have watched a police movie before, and in it it says that the MP5 sub machine guns is not avaliable to the black market, it is only found in the inventory of special police forces.
Is it true as told that there are no illegal mp5s out there? Which is hard for a terrorists or rebels to get access to this gun.

posted on May, 7 2004 @ 02:23 AM
link   
You can buy them, but they will be preset to semi-auto. Manual modification to full-auto is possible, in the hands of an experienced gunsmith...

Mr. M

posted on May, 7 2004 @ 02:31 AM
link   
Where is the market mainly at, Middle east, Asia or US??
I am interested to know that does any militant groups actually possess this weapon?

posted on May, 7 2004 @ 02:33 AM
link   
Yeah, a bunch. And the market is worldwide. I know a place right up the road from me (and I'm in Eastern Europe) where you can buy full-auto's. Connections is the key. If you have the connections, you can get anything, and I mean ANYTHING.

Mr. M

posted on May, 7 2004 @ 04:07 AM
link   
Yup, exactly right.

Goes for anything you can think of.

posted on May, 7 2004 @ 08:29 AM
link   
mp5's rock!
terrorists shizen them selves when they see them
terrorists probably buy ak's cause they are cheaper and longer lasting

posted on May, 7 2004 @ 08:48 AM
link   
Terrorists don't buy AKs I don't think. At least on any market other than the various gun stands found in and around large city markets. Can't you just find AKs laying around over there?

Who left all the AKs behind? Are most of the AKs in the region Chinese or Russian? I think most of the weapons in the region are leftovers from the Russian/Afghani war, but I'm sure Pakistan has been doling out some older Chinese stuff... they seem to be enjoying the arms trade.

DC

posted on May, 7 2004 @ 10:00 AM
link   
If terrorists don't buy AKs, lemme ask you this. When you think of a terrorist, what kind of weapon do you envision he/she's holding? What weapon is the most readily availible in that area of the world? What weapon did some American soldires switch their delicate M4A1's with? What gun costs < 100 USD on the streets of an Afghani city? The AK can answer all of those questions. It's one of the most reliable, powerful, mass produced rifles in history. For those reasons, maybe even the best rifle in history.

[Edited on 5/7/04 by xenophanes85]

posted on May, 7 2004 @ 11:54 AM
link   
You can buy an AK-47 for less then 50 bucks in most places in the world. They're cheap, reliable, and effective. That's why terrorists and 3rd world nations use them. I "know" this drug dealer who could get me a military grade AK if I wanted it.
*points to sig*

Yeah, and lots o

[Edited on 7-5-2004 by Kozzy]

posted on May, 8 2004 @ 04:23 PM
link   
I dont understand why people are so indimidated by the MP5. It is relaibale and accurate, but it fires 9mm. For an anti-terrorism weapon (where 1 shot stops are VITAL), a sub-machine gun chambered in 9mm seems like an illogical choice

I blame the media for over-hyping this one

posted on May, 8 2004 @ 04:56 PM
link   
it depends on the bullet
i think it was designed for antiterror units cause they want to keep the guys alive for questioning
it might not kill em but it sure does take em down hard

posted on May, 8 2004 @ 05:10 PM
link   
The 9mm is a good hollowpoint round, just don't use FMJ. In the hands of a good shooter, getting torso and head shots are easy. Still, a expanding .45 is much better.

posted on May, 8 2004 @ 05:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by bbc100
I have watched a police movie before, and in it it says that the MP5 sub machine guns is not avaliable to the black market, it is only found in the inventory of special police forces.
Is it true as told that there are no illegal mp5s out there? Which is hard for a terrorists or rebels to get access to this gun.

There are prolly plenty of black market mp5s around. However, the version they refer to in this film, may be the customised mp5 specially made for some American police special forces which has been upgraded to eating 10 mm ammunition (normally 9mm), increasing the stop power signifficantly. I doubt you'd get your hands on one of them at all. But while talking of mp5, it is deftly my favorite "machine pistol", it comes in a wide variety of verions, and each one mutually being the other superior. Heckler & Koch sure knows how to make a good gun!

posted on May, 12 2004 @ 11:57 PM
link   
The MP-5SD is used primarily for CQB. It is a weapon designed for lightweight ease of use and for its quiet effectiveness. A 9mm to the head will scramble your brain just as fast as any other bullet, but might not leave as big a mess. It is quiet, so you feel the bullet before you hear the receiver click. It is also available in 10mm which has a 2 position selector (semi-auto and auto) as opposed to the 9mm which has a 3 position selector also containing 3 round burst. For you enthusiasts looking for a bit more firepower, ther is always the UMP .45 ACP...not as quiet, but who gives a sh*t when your terrorist doesnt know what hit him anyway. And yes, this comes from a voice of experience.

posted on May, 13 2004 @ 11:50 AM
link   
Wasn't the mp5 chosen for antiterrorism because if you are using it in a place where there are hostages or innocent civilians around you don't want any risk of overpenetration? Thus it would be a logical choice. But yes, it has been overhyped. These days tech has improved. There are better choices for counterterrorism in areas such as hostage situations.I'd say the FN P-90 or the new HK MP-7. If you really wanted 9mm para or .45acp though, i'd say the ump would be better. Mp5 is a really old gun now, and HK have improved on it much.

[Edited on 13-5-2004 by minimi]

posted on May, 13 2004 @ 12:27 PM
link   
Goshdarnit -- someone beat me ta the : ~FN P-90!~ Isn't this the one that has 62 round clips? I luv this gun!

top topics

join